Denon 3803: Question on Settings

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad Viro, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Hello All!
    Well the day is almost here: on Wednesday, I will be getting my Axiom Speakers (M60ti, 150, and QS8's) to complement my Denon 3803 Receiver and Denon 2200 DVD Player. This will be my first HT, so I am really excited!

Additionally, I have 3 bass shakers connected in series on my couch, which are connected to a partsexpress 100watt amp (with volume controls). Also, at this moment I do not have a sub....it will probably have to wait 6 months [​IMG]

So my question is: Exactly what settings should I set on my Denon 3803 receiver for my setup (no sub, etc)? Considering that a lot of you have played with this receiver (and similar ones), I can only imagine that some optimal settings have been distinguished.

Any help would be great! [​IMG] (Also, I have a calibration dvd and sound meter ready to go when they get here! )

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Set the speakers – at least the front L/R - for “Large.” Set the sub for “Yes,” since I assume you’re going to use the receiver’s sub out to provide a signal for the shakers.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

Set fronts to 40hz. They are not full-range speakers, not capable of going down to 20hz. Set subwoofer to 40hz- use subwoofer output for the bass kickers.

Small 80hz to the centre. Small 100hz to the rear. Going by the +/- 3dB spec, not the -9dB.

Although I would try setting all to small 80hz, if you are planning on buying a good subwoofer. Least likely to have bass cancellation issues this way (rather than setting one to large, one to small etc)

I use floorstander fronts (40hz +/- 3dB) and fairly large centre (2x 6.5" bass, 1x 6.5 midrange, 1 x 1" treble) and found small 80hz for all works the best, even though I decent quality amps. I would not recommend setting the xover lower than the frequency response of the speaker.

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Unfortunately, the 3803's crossover is universal. So if you set any of the speakers to Small, they must all live with the same highpass frequency.

As Wayne notes, set at least the mains as Large and activate the sub output. The others should be looked at as John notes. Check the bass response specs and set the crossover a tad higher than the lowest response of the "smallest" speaker.

5. Chad Viro

Chad Viro Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the help guys. I cant wait until i get my speakers!! [​IMG] If anyone else has any advise/comments, please let me know. Take care.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Set the fronts to large and use the LFE+Main setting. Otherwise you will not hear anything below 80hz, you will just feel it.

7. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

As Brian suggests, you can always try it to see if it helps "the feel" but keep in mind that LFE+MAIN is a subwoofer mode. It will add bass (that is sent to the Large mains) to the subwoofer output. But the bass sent to the mains will not be boosted...