3803 setup?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevin_Welch, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Kevin_Welch

Kevin_Welch Agent

I just ordered a denon 3803 and am awaiting its arrival. my question is for anyone that has one. should i run my componet cable and digital optical from my dvd to the 3803 and then componet to my television / or should i run the dvd componet straight to the tv and digital optical to the 3803? is there any advantage to this? and if i do the latter will there be a pause between sound and picture?
    thanks you guys help out way more than your getting paid [​IMG]
    Kevin

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

Hi Kevin, I got your email and I just sent a reply. [​IMG]

If your TV has all of the inputs you will need then by all means run directly to it, plus there is no delay when you run the audio to the receiver. However some folks like to do all the switching thru the receiver instead of flipping inputs on the TV, but if you program a macro the problem is solved.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If there was a delay between the audio and video in HT systems, I don't think HT would be as popular as it is.

I have not had an audio connection between my DVD and TV in many years, it's just no fun that way [​IMG], so it should not be a problem. Video direct to TV, audio to receiver. If you want to watch movies without the stereo on sometimes however, you will also need to run the stereo analog audio from the DVD to the TV.

4. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

I believe the only advantage to running your video first to the receiver is as John has already stated.

By running your component outs directly to your tv, you will also save some cash. Otherwise you have two runs, one from your dvd to avr, then avr to tv. Depending on what kind of interconnects your using, this can be a pricey option.

5. John S

John S Producer

The money saving may not be there....

I would need 12' runs to go from every device to my TV, It was far cheaper to get short runs to the reciever, and than only one long run from the reciever to the TV.

With that said, that is not why I did it, I was out of inputs. So that is probably the only real reason to not just go direct with it all.

6. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Are you hooking up anything else? With the 3803's upconversion you can run everything to the receiver (including composite and S-video sources) and then just 1 component wire to the TV.

7. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have an old RCA tv that has only a coax input. So im going to run all my video out of dvd, vcr, and cable into the receiver and out of the reciever into a rf mod and into the tv. This is the best way to do it right? I have a yamaha RXV-440. There is no way to run component in from dvd into reciever and composite out right?

8. Mark Bregar

Mark Bregar Auditioning

Is there a downside to running video from source to reciever to monitor?

9. vinson

vinson Auditioning

I have a 3803 also and was wondering if I should run my cable through the receiver and then to the tv. How do I do this. It looks like there is one coax in on the back of the receiver. Is there where I would plug in the cable?

Do you guys do this or do you run the cable straight to the tv.

Thanks,

Vinson

10. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Cable TV can not be hooked up directly to the receiver. The RF coax you see is for a FM anttena. Cable TV needs to go to a tuner first, either a cable box, VCR, or directly to the TV. If you TV has audio output jacks you can send the audio from the TV to the receiver that way.