What's new

Only high range tweeter sound from center channel on Marantz SR7007 (1 Viewer)

Rude Axe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesper Friberg
I have a Marantz sr7007 AVR and all of a sudden my center speaker only plays from the high range tweeter.

I have tried the following:

1. Unplug the receiver for about 8 hours
2. Factory reset
3. Switch out the cable from the receiver to the center speaker
4. Produce a test tone from the center channel to the left speaker. (same result, only high range tweeter playing)
5. Produce a test tone from the left channel to the center speaker. (The speaker works)

I am completely out of ideas what to try next. Any ideas out there?

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It sounds like the woofer(s) in the center speaker are fried. Normally it's the tweeters that get fried, but not always.

Oops, went too fast and didn't read your entire post. So I take it back. Needs more thought. That is truly odd.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Looks like the center channel has gone out. Ebay shows only a single completed auction, and the unit sold for only $300. There seems to be an inordinate amount of broken units for sale as parts-only, which is telling. Your best bet is probably to look into replacing it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is always the option of using an external amp for at least the center channel, assuming the preamp output is OK.

Rude Axe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesper Friberg
Looks like the center channel has gone out. Ebay shows only a single completed auction, and the unit sold for only $300. There seems to be an inordinate amount of broken units for sale as parts-only, which is telling. Your best bet is probably to look into replacing it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
If the center channel was completely out and the center speaker didn't produce any sound at all it would have made more sense. But I might be wrong. Can anyone explain how it can be broken but still produce low volume sound through the tweeter?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It’s new to me. In any case, the most likely problem is the amplifier for that channel. Trying an external amp on that channel could provide more info.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Maybe a bad low pass filter on the channel is attenuating frequencies that it shouldn't.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You're out of ideas because you've already done a pretty thorough job of troubleshooting. The speaker itself would appear to be all but ruled out however I've simply never heard of an amplifier causing this sort of behavior. Are you able to, as @JohnRice suggested, test the speaker with a different amp, maybe take it into a local shop?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks