What's new

3-strip Technicolor, year by year (1 Viewer)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw the restored BECKY SHARP in the '80s at MoMA. The final reel was, unfortunately, still in Cinecolor; the third, missing strip still being unaccounted for. The rest of the film looked amazing!

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
john a hunter said:
Would recommend Cobra Woman from Germany.
English track but B locked.
And it did star the " Queen of Technicolor " herself.!
Huh? ...Maureen O'Hara?? ...in Cobra Woman???

Just kidding; I have the Alive Blu-ray of Cobra Woman and agree that it looks great with the mesmerising performance of Maria Montez - that other Technicolor Queen.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
RMajidi said:
Huh? ...Maureen O'Hara?? ...in Cobra Woman???

Just kidding; I have the Alive Blu-ray of Cobra Woman and agree that it looks great with the mesmerising performance of Maria Montez - that other Technicolor Queen.
But Maria was Queen Technicolor the first and was anointed thus in the trailer on the German BD. :D

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i thought the "Queen of Technicolor" was-

rita hayworth OR betty grable OR maureen o'hara OR maria montez OR yvonne decarlo OR gene tierney OR

rhonda fleming.........

honestly, for me, seeing any glamorous woman in a three-strip technicolor close-up is amazing!

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
marcco00 said:

rita hayworth OR betty grable OR maureen o'hara OR maria montez OR yvonne decarlo OR gene tierney OR

rhonda fleming.........

honestly, for me, seeing any glamorous woman in a three-strip technicolor close-up is amazing!
And don't forget Lucille Ball (her MGM years).

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
ajabrams said:
And don't forget Lucille Ball (her MGM years).

They called her Technicolor Tessie :D

from LIFE magazine, August 1943 (I assume to coincide with the release of DuBARRY)

lucy-techni-tessie.jpg

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i wouldn't exactly call it a fetish(!!), but the vibrant, jewel-like 3 strip technicolor really makes the leading ladies look

SPECTACULAR to me--- particularly the close ups.

i have collected just about all the technicolor films of that era for this reason.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
marcco00 said:

rhonda fleming.........

Well if we're going to throw in just any glamorous actress who was filmed in Technicolor, let's why not include Virginia Mayo, Eleanor Parker, Linda Darnell, Jeanne Crain, Vivien Leigh and Janet Leigh.

JoelA said:
attachicon.gif
p1765_p_v8_aa.jpg

While we're on the topic, don't forget Esther Williams.
Why is there zero representation of the unique Esther Williams on Blu-ray?

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
RMajidi said:
Well if we're going to throw in just any glamorous actress who was filmed in Technicolor, let's why not include Virginia Mayo, Eleanor Parker, Linda Darnell, Jeanne Crain, Vivien Leigh and Janet Leigh.

Probably because Warners believe that her fan base is the age group that has not embraced Blu-ray. I'm not aware of young people discovering Esther Williams and becoming fans. I'd like to be wrong about this.

Hollywodland

Agent
Real Name
Al
benbess said:
Trying to go year by year (and feel free anyone to help me out), we still need to list the films in 3-strip Technicolor from 1937. It seems the list of films from that site for this year includes: Ebb Tide God's Country and The Women Nothing Sacred A Star is Born Victoria the Great Vogues of 1938 When's Your Birthday Wings of the Morning I confess I haven't seen any of these! Anyone else have a comment or poster on one or more of them? The one I'm most curious about is A Star is Born, but they did a much more minimal job of restoration for this film that's now in the public domain. Apparently rather than going back to the original 3 strip negative, which may no longer exist, they just made a blu-ray from the best print source in existence. That costs a small fraction of what they did for The Red Shoes, but the results are also less impressive. I guess I'm spoiled, and more want to be stunned by my blu-ray purchases rather than thinking "that's OK, or just good enough." The image quality, however, is still acceptable according to the review here and at blu-ray.com: "Like other films in the public domain, A Star is Born has been subjected to many sub-par home video releases over the years. While Image Entertainment's 2004 DVD was decent, Kino's Blu-ray release handily bests it in every category. Sourced from the best materials available at the George Eastman House's film preservation division, the disc's 1080p/AVC-encoded transfer does justice to the film's Technicolor cinematography. As I've mentioned in other reviews, Kino doesn't have the resources to do extensive, frame-by-frame restorations, digitally removing every instance of dirt and debris. Instead, they find the cleanest prints possible, leaving the specks and scratches "as is" and focusing their restoration efforts on color and tonality issues, which are somewhat easier to deal with. So, yes, you'll notice some mild scratches and flecks and the occasional instance where the film emulsion looks worn away, but there are no major streaks, stains, or warping. I was actually quite surprised by the condition of the print. As usual with Kino titles, film grain is natural and untouched, and there are no signs of edge enhancement or other forms of digital boosting. Clarity all-around is much improved over prior standard definition releases--as you'd expect--but what will leave you gawking is the beautiful Technicolor photography, which is dense and vibrant without being gaudy. There are some minor and fleeting color fluctuations, but in all other regards--contrast, black levels--this transfer has rock solid stability. Another wonderful early Technicolor title from Kino."

Is there any news on A Star Is Born (1937)? This is my number one BD wish for 2016. Can we make a petition or anything to help speed up the release of this BD? I own a Kino BD of A Star Is Born but I was very disappoined with video AND audio quality - the trailer of this movie (as an extra on WB´s BD of a 54´s Star with Judy Garland) is of MUCH better quality and I can only dream of what it would look like on Blu ray!! I also dont like when people whine about ˝too expensive˝ BDs...I would pay 10x as much for movies that I like and are restored and done with great care, as best as possible - sort of ˝WAC treatment˝. Hammer Horror Classics-Volume 1 by WB was done because of a big petition that people started and I dont think the collection would have seen the light of day otherwise. I was thinking about that for quite some time, I just dont know how to do it and where to start - petition, I mean. Its such a shame that they sit on original elements (as Mr. RAH stated) and dont do anything about it. What can we do to make this happen? This film has the most gorgeous Technicolor I ever saw, its a dream.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
RMajidi said:

Is Carmen Miranda represented on BR?

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
noel aguirre said:
Is Carmen Miranda represented on BR?
JoelA said:
Yes, in a Region B/2 release through Masters of Cinema/Eureka Entertainment of Fox's The Gang's All Here (1943).
...and what a Blu-ray it is too! The Gang's All Here is among the most sumptuous looking discs in my collection. If you have the means to watch B-region-locked Blus, I highly recommend it.

Busby Berkeley films are unique works of art/entertainment and deserve to look as good as The Gang's All Here does on Blu - I wish we had more to choose from, whether starring Esther Williams, Carmen Miranda...

fanddlover17

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Moreso, UCLA has already done a fine restoration from the original elements that could be utilized for a Blu-Ray.
A complete list of the live-action Technicolor 3-strip shorts from 1933:
Audio Productions Musical 1-reelers
Bolero, Dance of the Hours, Fingal's Cave, Hymn to the Sun, Les Preludes, Unfinished Symphony
Doughty & Assoc. Inc. Advertising shorts
Congoleum Playlets No. 1-6, George Washington Coffee Playlets No. 1-3
General Films, Inc., Race Night Shorts
Wilding Pictures Advertising Shorts
Seeing is Believing (2-reeler), World's Fair (1 reel)

Sorry, but I have to make some corrections. None of those live-action shorts were in 3-strip technicolor except for Seeing is Believing and World’s Fair. Interestingly, these two live-action 3-strip shorts were not intended for public viewing.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sorry, but I have to make some corrections. None of those live-action shorts were in 3-strip technicolor except for Seeing is Believing and World’s Fair. Interestingly, these two live-action 3-strip shorts were not intended for public viewing.
Without checking for confirmation, I'm going to just throw a spitball and guess that the aforementioned two live action 3-strip technicolor shorts weren't meant for release because they were made before Walt Disney Productions 2 Year exclusive (Meaning NO other studio could release 3-strip technicolor productions!) contract with Technicolor had run out. It was only in 1934 that non Disney studios could begin releasing films utilizing the 3-strip process.

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks