What's new

UHD Review A Few Words About A few words about...™ Phantom of the Opera (1943) - Universal Classic Monsters 2 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
At this point, I'm sorry I ever correctly answered that original question about what the PHANTOM Blu-ray was sourced from. And you're right, there is no controversy here. It's simply a matter of understanding the difference between an IP taken from the three original Technicolor elements (the Blu-ray) and a direct scan of those same elements (the 4K).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I guess I'm having trouble seeing what the controversy is, though, or why we need to make special note of it. It can be said that every video release of ANY movie in human history is derived from the original camera negative, whether or not it currently exists. There's only one, of course it's the original source for every transfer somewhere down the chain. I think that may be the source of some of the gentle pushback you were getting because this is no different, in that respect, from any other movie.
Exactly what I was thinking when reading those posts. An IP and original 3-strip camera negatives are not the same source!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
At this point, I'm sorry I ever correctly answered that original question about what the PHANTOM Blu-ray was sourced from. And you're right, there is no controversy here. It's simply a matter of understanding the difference between an IP taken from the three original Technicolor elements (the Blu-ray) and a direct scan of those same elements (the 4K).
TBH, I think most of us understood the difference. Anyhow, it's time to move on.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Anyhow, it's time to move on.

Agreed.

I have to admit to having a serious case of FOMO because of this release. I had already determined I was not upgrading the Universal monsters to 4K so I don't have this as yet. It's giving me a serious case of Technicolor Phantom envy, though, and I'm quite jealous of those of you who have it. Of course, the thought of buying this release has crossed my mind more than once, I just can't rationalize it for myself. I bought Kino's Film Noir Volume 9 just to get Lady on a Train on blu-ray and now have copies of Take One False Step and Tangier that I doubt I'll ever watch again (by the way, those two are up for grabs. If anybody wants them, they're yours) so I have to draw the line somewhere and wait for a single release down the road (probably..... :blush: )

Last edited:

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Exactly what I was thinking when reading those posts. An IP and original 3-strip camera negatives are not the same source!
But -- dear God -- the IP didn't appear magically! The three original negatives were used to create the IP, and that's what was used for all the videos leading up to the 4K release; for the 4K they directly scanned those three Technicolor elements, and that produces a stronger image. Why in Heaven's name is this so difficult to grasp? It was correctly stated and re-stated, confirmed by Robert Harris, then re-stated again.

Yes, we should move on. We should have moved on several posts back, when I first suggested moving on, because it seemed that these simple facts had finally gotten through. Maybe... just maybe... they have.

But please, whether they have or not... no more. I don't think my sanity can handle another response like "We knew that already" (then why ask?) or "negative scans are different from IPs" (of course they are, that's not the point). All people like Mr. Harris and I can do is clearly relate the facts as we believe them to be. How your emotions handle those facts, and the curious reactions you have in response to them, that's all up to you. Just give me a break here, we're all a little worn out at this point. I promise I'll never correctly answer one of your questions again!

Take care, everyone...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks