What's new

3:2 Pulldown - Progressive Scan DVD? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I don't believe they are the same. I can't give you a good explanation on them, but I'm pretty sure you can have 480p with no 3:2 pulldown. I'm not sure, however, that you can have 3:2 with no prog. scan. I believe 3:2 pulldown can help remove artifacts and what not.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
They are indeed different.

480p simply refers to the 480 lines of resolution, and the fact that they are being "progessively" scanned, instead of "interlaced."

3:2 Pulldown is a term for compensating for the fact that movies and films are shot at 24 frames per second. TV displays at 30 frames per second. When a movie is transferred to tape, a 3:2 pulldown has occurred because of this. However, this process causes line twittering and added video noise, particular on camera pans and scans, and in areas of high detail.

The term 3:2 pulldown on a DVD player or on a TV set should actually be called: Reverse 3:2 Pulldown (it seems a lot of ads leave out the word "reverse"), also referred to as film mode deinterlacing. What this generally does is the processor looks at the "cadence" of the frames to see if it detects frames being repeated in the manner of the 3:2 pulldown and recombines the film frames properly. And, from what I have read, this can be done well or poorly.

Thus, 3:2 pulldown is all about compensating for the fact that film and video are shot at different speeds.

If video and film were both shot at the same speed, you wouldn't need to go through all of this 3:2 pulldown stuff. The 480p, though is quite unrelated to this. At least that is my understanding.

Not an expert,

-Bruce

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
What Bruce said.
Here is a Link Removed, to an article that goes into great detail explaning how film is transfered to tape (3:2 pulldown) and then how a progressive scan DVD player makes a progressive image (de-interlacing).

Jim_Hunt

Grip
Thanks for all of your answers. I was having a serious case of brain lock last night and seemed to find information that was even more confusing.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce is correct, they are two completely different things. It just so happens, though, that most any DVD player that has 3:2 pulldown also is a progressive scan player, so if you get one, you're likely to find the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks