Help With Progressive Scan

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DavidMu, Jan 6, 2006.

1. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

Hi All,

I have a samsung 52inch rear pro tv about 18 months old

model no is SP52Q7HR CRT Rear Pro HDTV

I just bought a progressive scan DVD player LG DV9723P

I am based in Australia so all my dvds are PAL which is 576 lines so when I try to output a dvd with progressive scan it is trying to output at 576p.

Now my TV clearly states it supports 576p and on the component input it is written 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i etc however when i play a pal dvd going to 576p the picture plays fine except every few seconds the screen goes black for about 10 seconds and comes back on..

I have tried diff cables, i have taken dvd player back to the store and it works fine and when i change the dvd player output to NTSC progressive scan it works fine which means its outputting to 480p.

I have 16:9 widescreen tv and the black outs only happen when the tv is displaying in 16:9 mode if i change to 4:3 it does not happen..

I am at a total loss here the tv is supposed to support it but is having these problems, someone suggested check the 3:2 pulldown setting on the tv but I cannot see this setting or anything like it anywhere..

could it be the tv is faulty or is there something I have not thought of??

any help would be great thanks

2. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

UPDATE:

I have just discovered that the problem is only happening with copy protected DVD's ie store bought ones

I tried a non-copy protected dvd and ran at 576p and no problems at all!

Does anyone please have suggestions why this would cause a black screen every 10 seconds??

Thanks

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    David:

DVD is limited to 480p over component by Macrovision so that is the reason why you are getting the drop outs.

The only way that I can watch a DVD on my HTPC greater than 480p on my set is to use the DVI out to my HDMI input on my RPTV.

Parker

4. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

Hi Thanks Parker although I am in Australia where all dvds are PAL. and PAL is running at 576i for standard and 576p for progressive scan..

PAL is the Australian Standard so they wouldnt offer progressive scan through component if you couldnt run it only TV??

I turned macrovision off of another play DF9921P and the problem still occured so I dont think its macrovision??

Thanks

5. John S

John S Producer

Make a call to a retailer, a higher end retailer, somewhere in the country you live in and ask them what is going on.

Not that many PAL users here. We are always try'n to make sure we can convert PAL to NTSC for the most part.

There are a few, but they may not catch this thread.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    David,

Welcome to the forum.

I live in PAL country too, but I don't have a progressive scan TV (so, no experience with it).

But if the problem only arises in one setting - 16x9 progressive - it looks like the circuitry is the villain. Either the player's, but more likely the TV set's.

Of course it could be "both": a synchronisation problem. But you should certainly start having the TV set checked, preferably by someone who could bring a DVD player that works fine in that mode on another set (especially because you already checked the player for compatibility).

Cees

7. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

Thanks all I am going to try a pioneer player on it instead to see if its a compatibility problem

8. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

well, pioneer dv 383 is doing the same thing!!

I would say its the tv but how come non-copy protected dvds work ok at 576p??

Did i read somewhere that the LG and the pioneer use the same chipset?

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    David,

(1) The problem is present on the combination Samsung TV - LG DVD-player.

(2) The problem is absent when the LG-player is connected to another TV (in the store).

(3) The problem is present on the combination Samsung TV - Pioneer DVD-player.

If this is true, it's beginning to look that your TV-set cannot handle *whatever* is present from studio DVDs at 576p. If you find this function important (and have the cash), find a TV-set that plays fine with your player (as the one in the store did), and buy that one.

If *not many* TV-sets appear to be able to play it properly, there still may be a problem with the player, but I would try different TVs first now, if I were you.

Cees

10. DavidMu

DavidMu Auditioning

have tried a cheapie palsonic dvd player and it works fine!

but now Im pretty happy with the lg df99212p i bought and it has no issues through hdmi have decided to keep that despite knowing the component connections will never work with my tv but not to matter I wont be using it anyway

My only gripe is it cuts off a small strip on left hand side of divx files the files are encoded at 1.81:1 which is 16.29:1 so a bit longer to be able to fit onto a 16:9 tv but instead of it putting black bars on the screen so the whole image is displayed, it cuts it off