$2500 budget for new projection tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian__pratt, Feb 6, 2003.

1. brian__pratt

brian__pratt Agent

A friend has asked me to help him pick out a new projection tv. He is upgrading from a 47" GE 4:3 unit. He wants to stay at $2500 or under.

His viewing habits are 80% satellite/cable tv...20% dvd. He wants the largest screen available, and i would say is very flexible with quality vs. quantity (compared to all of us...haha). Basically, the largest for the $$$.

I would like it to be HD ready so I can have him use a progressive scan dvd player, but it's not the end of the world if it isn't.

Brands I have seen mentioned on here as generally safe:

Panasonic
    Samsung
    Pioneer (Elite)...out of the price range?

Please let me know your recommendations.

Thanks!

2. David R Nguyen

Brian,

Have your friend check out the Toshiba 57HDX82. You should be able to get that set at or below your friend's $2500 budget. Your friend shouldn't be too ready to sacrifice quality vs. quantity, since the larger the screen, the more easily he/she will see the imperfections.

Good luck with it and have fun!

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

If he has the right room, he should think about front projection. then he can have a 12 foot wide picture if he wants, with pontentially better picture quality.

for the under $2,500 range, the four projectors to consider are

Panasonic AE300
    Sanyo PLV-Z1
    Sony HS-10
    InFocus X1

They range in price from $1,500-$2,500.

4. brian__pratt

brian__pratt Agent

thank you for the suggestions!

i have tried to push a front projector on him...but he hasn't warmed up to that idea. the room is fairly large and would be great for it.

keep those suggestions coming! [​IMG]