What's new

Newbie needs help (1 Viewer)

John Vree

Auditioning
I am pretty new at this. Last time I put together a home theater, I bought a tube tv and speakers from Cambridge.

I am putting a HT in my basement, which is going to be finished in early July. The room is fairly large, 13x22. My budget for the HT equipment is around $8000.

So far I think I am getting a Sony 60' rear projection LCD ($3500) and I like the Denon AVR 3805 receiver ($1000) and Denon DVD-2200 ($529). That leaves speakers, with about $2000-2500 to work with.

A local place has been pushing Paradigm.

I would really appreciate any input you can give me. Thanks.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well as most people suggest listen to as many speakers as possible and decide what you like.

If you get a chance go to www.audioenvy.com and give either the swans or Rockets a listen.

Also cruise over to Axiom to see if anyone in your area would demo them for you.

Many options it just depends if you want to put the time into it.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I'm wondering why you wouldn't go front projection, i.e. get a projector and a screen.

I'm also going to assume that if you're building this basement, that you've constructed it with some idea of room acoustics. That will make or break a theatre with $8000 worth of equipment in it.

At that price range, there are a whole lot of options. I suggest that you find one dealer that will sell you everything as a package. That will yield you a larger discount, and you can have them professionally install it if you wish. That Denon stuff, while good, might be a little weak. I'd definately look into separates at that price range. A Rotel setup such as :

Processor: RSP-1068 $1699
5 channel amp: RMB-1075 $999

Would be an excellent start.

The Denon DVD-2200 is MSRP $629. You could add an external scaler (iScan, etc) if you're going to feed a projector. No expertise in the projector field, but it seems like so much better of an option than an LCD rear projection.

There's just too much to suggest speaker wise. You need to go auditioning. Energy, Paradigm, B&W....there are an awful lot of good brands sold in retail stores. Then there's Swans, Rockets, Axioms etc as previously suggested which are more available online.

The key to spending your money wisely though will be patience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks