What's new

2024 MLB Season (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think many baseball fans particularly younger ones would rather have all balls and strikes called electronically while MLB managers & executives along with former players prefer the challenge system. I'm an old fart and I'm sick and tired of incompetent umpires calling balls and strikes.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Anyone catch the end of the O’s and white Sox game last night?

Was a huge mess as an umpire made a seemingly unnecessary interference call that ended on a probably controversial rule and decision by the umpire.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Anyone catch the end of the O’s and white Sox game last night?

Was a huge mess as an umpire made a seemingly unnecessary interference call that ended on a probably controversial rule and decision by the umpire.
Yeah, and it looks like MLB didn't agree with the umpires making that call. In short, they preferred the umpires used discretion and not ruled that runner out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Seems that the strict, extremely strict definition of the rule was what the ump went with but
I don't think it was in the spirit of the intention of the rule.
There was no interference and the fielder initiated the contact.
The fielder was never impeded.
If the ump didn’t make a call no one would have complained.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I think many baseball fans particularly younger ones would rather have all balls and strikes called electronically while MLB managers & executives along with former players prefer the challenge system. I'm an old fart and I'm sick and tired of incompetent umpires calling balls and strikes.

I'm not one who trusts electronics as infallible, so I prefer the challenge system. (By the way, if you're 6'5" like Joey Gallo or 5'6" like Altuve how is the strike zone viewed or altered by electronics. It can't be the same place for both can it?

Also, that article says, "When the system first arrives" it's likely to be a challenge system, which leaves open it could go fully automated after that.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm not one who trusts electronics as infallible, so I prefer the challenge system. (By the way, if you're 6'5" like Joey Gallo or 5'6" like Altuve how is the strike zone viewed or altered by electronics. It can't be the same place for both can it?

Also, that article says, "When the system first arrives" it's likely to be a challenge system, which leaves open it could go fully automated after that.

It's probably whatever (or very similar) they've long been using to show you the strikezone on TV broadcasts (and other kinds of coverage like MLB Gameday on the net), which just follows the rules for how it's determined.

My main question about that is whether the zone would actually be in 3D instead of what/2D they typically show.

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

A shame that fans don’t have the Doug Harveys or Bruce Froemings in the game these days- those dudes knew what a ball was, and what a strike was. Umpires incompetence is why RoboUmp is a necessary evil today.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

No, it changes based on player size and stance at the plate though not 100% sure if it's all automated or requires some Human Interaction to do so

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would imagine all the player's relevant physical stats are entered into the computer so that the electronic strike zone can be personalized to each player.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would imagine all the player's relevant physical stats are entered into the computer so that the electronic strike zone can be personalized to each player.

Technically, if they wanna do it right (and strictly follow the rules... as much as possible), they should *not* rely on preset values in that way because it's supposed to depend on the batter's actual batting stance. But if fully automated and depending on the algorithm, etc, maybe they could use such preset values as good starting points to help out (before settling on whatever the zone should be at any given moment for any given batter).

_Man_

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tough break for the Braves losing Acuna to another ACL injury. He has torn the ACL in both knees. I was actually watching the Braves game when he went down at 2nd base. I thought immediately that he tore his ACL or Achilles.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Tough break for the Braves losing Acuna to another ACL injury. He has torn the ACL in both knees. I was actually watching the Braves game when he went down at 2nd base. I thought immediately that he tore his ACL or Achilles.
I reminded myself that they won the World Series in 2021 when he last injured it.
Terrible for baseball that he will be out though.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I read a little bit of an article about trouble in a recent Brewers/Red Sox game. Hard to believe the incident- the Sox pitcher took exception to the Brewers bunting twice in an inning of a 1-1 game, so he exchanged words with the Brewers first base coach. Is this a joke? Obviously the pitcher was out of line, and acted in a childish manor. The league should fine him, or sit him for a game or two. I hope the game hasn’t totally evolved into a bunch of dudes swinging for the fences in every situation, with no bunting or small ball allowed.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I read a little bit of an article about trouble in a recent Brewers/Red Sox game. Hard to believe the incident- the Sox pitcher took exception to the Brewers bunting twice in an inning of a 1-1 game, so he exchanged words with the Brewers first base coach. Is this a joke? Obviously the pitcher was out of line, and acted in a childish manor. The league should fine him, or sit him for a game or two. I hope the game hasn’t totally evolved into a bunch of dudes swinging for the fences in every situation, with no bunting or small ball allowed.
Agreed. It was very petty.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
True. They seem to find a way to always win though.

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ybmsmoke107
    Recent bookmarks