What's new

2023 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, I had no idea they intended a bullpen game, but if Martin's correct, then Roberts did actually improvise and not stick w/ his "bullpen game" script big time, LOL -- I doubt that's really the case of course, but rather, they probably planned on a plan B contingency of needing it to turn into a bullpen game (and it didn't at all).

But yeah, I started paying closer attention to that game during the final inning before young Sheehan left it and watched much of the rest (on and off)... and really, the Dodgers lost that game for a host of reasons far beyond that one decision, which while questionable, isn't remotely what cost them the game.

Also, you have to remember Sheehan's still a rather young arm they called up from AA (w/ not quite that much experience), not AAA, pretty much for emergency start (and possibly more, if it goes extremely well) or the like. AFAIK, they originally had Bobby Miller going, but I guess decided to give him some extra rest... probably for similar reasons they also chose to take it easier on Sheehan... as they are all promising young arms that still need plenty of build-up and seasoning, not to be pushed like weathered veterans (particularly ones who might not stick around quite that long).

In Sheehan's case, 6IP is the most he's ever even gone before this, and only 2x in his 2-plus seasons in the minors -- once this year and once last year. He usually only went 4-5IPs per game down in the minors where he had it much easier than facing MLB opponents (and basically slicing thru minor leaguers like w/ a hot knife on butter, LOL)... again, not even in AAA yet. So he already far exceeded what they expected and gave them the utmost they could realistically hope for... and yet, he clearly wasn't quite as dominant as fans might want to think since he really only K-ed 3 in 6IPs -- he's actually more used to K-ing 3x(!) as many opponents down in the minors.

Remember, w/ a youngster like him, they have to be concerned about more than just getting an extra out or three in this one game... and that's just how the sport has evolved today (w/ concerns about young arms and injuries, etc) probably for the best even if there might be some wrinkles to improve, etc...

Also, the Dodgers have become so successful because of the process they've developed and (largely) stick to. They're not just gonna ditch the process for just a moment in one game that's not even in the postseason (nor in a tight race in late-Sept). Fans should trust their process in general -- and maybe learn to understand it better, if need be...

_Man_

FYI, if you check the underlying numbers for Sheehan's start yesterday, you'd find he was probably quite lucky to shut out the Giants for that long, NVM no-hitting them... and they'd just be pushing his luck some more if they kept him in there -- he almost certainly wouldn't last the whole inning anyway and might only last 1 or 2 more batters... as they probably shouldn't have him exceed 100 pitches. As it was, the Giants were starting to hit his stuff more consistently hard in the 5th and (especially) 6th innings, and he'd be facing the heart of the lineup a 3rd time in the 7th (while he wasn't really missing bats all along either w/ a very low 4.5% whiff rate and not fooling them that much w/ ~19% chase rate).

Probably best to just let him end his start feeling super good about his no-hit, MLB debut performance (and not needlessly risk his health, future, etc)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The broadcasters on Thursday stated it would a bullpen game for both the Dodgers and the Giants on Friday.

Yesterdays game was...was it even a game or was it Giants hitting practice?

Yeah, it was as though the baseball gods flipped the script on them, and Bobby Miller ended up being the hot(ter) young rookie SP getting blasted instead of Sheehan the day before... :P

Of course, Gonsolin also ended up getting unexpectedly blasted today... :P

_Man_

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Dodgers are in freefall with the pitching situation. Hadn't lost a series to the Giants since 2012. This past weekend: Giants - 29 runs | Dodgers - 8 runs. I believe I heard this correctly: The 15-0 loss to the Giants on Saturday was the Dodgers worst home loss ever in LA and NY! Going into the weekend last Friday the Dodgers had scored the MOST runs in the whole National League and were in second place. After this weekend, third place. Last time in third place was in the summer of 2018. (Did go to the WS that year, though.) As one of the broadcasters said this weekend, "So many are on the IL, but you can't just go out and hire 12 pitchers." Bad times at the El Royale.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Reds are now in first place in the NL Central- winning 9 in a row in a weak division is key. Votto returned to the lineup with 2 hits. Attendance announced at
20,000, so the fans are starting to believe.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Wow- make it 10 straight for the Reds, and they are tied for the major league lead with most comeback wins this season.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Hey, Braves fans...WTF?

I read this: Charlie Culberson played for the Dodgers from 2016-17, most famous for hitting the walk-off home run in Vin Scully’s final game at Dodger Stadium. He has bounced around the majors since then, building a respectable journeyman career. He was with Atlanta this season. On Father’s Day, his father was going to throw out the ceremonial first pitch to Charlie to celebrate the day. A couple of hours before the game, the Braves in effect released Culberson. “Dad, about that ceremonial first pitch. We’ll have to do it in the parking lot.”

Really? They couldn’t wait one day to do that?

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
On the eve of this team coming to Dodger Stadium this weekend: :rolleyes:

Rob Manfred says granting Astros immunity 'not my best decision'
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...granting-astros-immunity-not-my-best-decision

baseball_player-world_series-los_angeles-boston_red_sox-houston_astros-sport-CX911204_low.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Their longest winning streak since 1957
(a little surprised that the Big Red Machine teams didn’t put together a streak like this).

#12! Plus their 1st batted cycle in 34 years courtesy of the "electrifying" Elly, who even tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to steal home (on top of another SB), LOL! He sure seems like he's willing them into relevance and contention or something almost all by himself in his hot rise to the Show... And for a short bit there, it looked like maybe opposing MLB pitching were figuring him out, but looks like he may have already quickly adjusted himself and killing it...

_Man_

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
#12! Plus their 1st batted cycle in 34 years courtesy of the "electrifying" Elly, who even tried (albeit unsuccessfully) to steal home (on top of another SB), LOL! He sure seems like he's willing them into relevance and contention or something almost all by himself in his hot rise to the Show... And for a short bit there, it looked like maybe opposing MLB pitching were figuring him out, but looks like he may have already quickly adjusted himself and killing it...

_Man_
Looks like De La Cruz is well on his way towards being named rookie of the year, and if the Reds continue to be a competitive team, he should be in the conversation for MVP as well.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Dem RED hot Reds almost came back against Iglesias and the Braves today, but not quite enough -- one has to wonder how it woulda gone if they actually lasted just long enough for Elly to face Iglesias (probably w/ either McLain or India on base if so), hehheh...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Wowzers! They often say "no lead is safe at Coors", but surely, 23-0 would be enough even though there's still 5 innings to go, LOL? Despite that, Shohei's only got a measly single in 5 ABs so far... :P

_Man_

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Rockies got two outs after giving up 3 straight homers to start inning then gave up 8 more runs.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They should probably institute some kinda mercy rule at least for games at Coors. OR maybe just move the Rockies elsewhere since Coors is probably killing their chances of ever building a quality team ever again... Is there *anywhere* in Colorado w/ substantially more reasonable elevation than Coors/Denver that can also support a MLB team??? Doesn't look like it...

They probably should've built Coors to be a fully climate-controlled indoor stadium or something -- probably no chance they'd be willing/able to rebuild/retrofit for that...

Even the use of humidor doesn't seem nearly enough so far...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Maybe what they should do w/ Coors is just deaden the ball enough w/ the humidor and move the fences in some to still allow reasonable amount of HRs. They likely can't really do just one and not the other.

That probably still wouldn't make pitch movement normal, but probably not a whole lot they can do about that (short of actually using a different ball at Coors perhaps)... and will likely always impact the finer points of how exactly they play there vs everywhere else...

_Man_

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
In light of yesterday's balk call, I can't find a current list of MLB walk-off balks, last I knew that had happened about 23 times. It seems to me the Dodgers lost on a balk this year, but I know they did once with the Mariners a few years ago. All the reports of the game yesterday mention a "controversial balk." At this point isn't that an oxymoron?
This definitely is:
images

In the 8th inning, James Outman's ball got stuck in the same fence area that Aaron Judge's toe did, preventing an 8-7 or 9-7 Dodger lead, tying things instead 7-7. The Dodgers must get that fencing area fixed.
dm_230624_James_Outman.jpg

There's been talk this weekend that Aaron Judge might be out for the season because of that injury. I hope not, that wouldn't be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks