What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Also there are rumors again that Jim Harbaugh is flirting with a return to the NFL. The Bears, Texans, and Broncos appear to be on his list of potential teams.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It could be a convenient rumor to get him a better deal at Michigan. He just took a huge pay cut there a year ago.

Harbaugh is quite a shrewd guy and there is probably no better time to try for a pay raise than after totally destroying Ohio State. I do think he will someday coach an NFL team again, not so certain it will be next year but I suppose if they throw enough money and control at him, it could happen. I'm fine with whatever he does as I love seeing Michigan trounce Ohio State and I think he would be good for the NFL. I tend to doubt he would take the Broncos job, but the Texans will be drafting at the top of the draft and the Bears might interest him as well. The Broncos have to sort out what to do with Russell Wilson, which I think will be to play him for another year or two. I can't see wanting to be stuck in that situation unless he feels Wilson has something left we are not seeing.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Harbaugh is quite a shrewd guy and there is probably no better time to try for a pay raise than after totally destroying Ohio State. I do think he will someday coach an NFL team again, not so certain it will be next year but I suppose if they throw enough money and control at him, it could happen. I'm fine with whatever he does as I love seeing Michigan trounce Ohio State and I think he would be good for the NFL. I tend to doubt he would take the Broncos job, but the Texans will be drafting at the top of the draft and the Bears might interest him as well. The Broncos have to sort out what to do with Russell Wilson, which I think will be to play him for another year or two. I can't see wanting to be stuck in that situation unless he feels Wilson has something left we are not seeing.
Texans have a couple of the Browns high picks going forward too- could be a good situation for Harbaugh.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Texans have a couple of the Browns high picks going forward too- could be a good situation for Harbaugh.

I do think because of the draft picks, a good coach could be attracted to the Texans job, IF he also gets a good amount of control over the team as well. When I was looking at the teams rumored to potentially interest Harbaugh, the Texans seemed like the most likely if he is allowed to be the decision maker there. Then he could build the team he feels he thinks can win. If the Texans don't give him a large measure of control, I think he would pass.

The Bears, I think would be second choice and again depending upon how much control they gave him and probably however he feels about their young QB. Some people think the Bears have a potential gem there and some don't. To me the jury is still out on Fields but he does kind of seem like a Harbaugh type of player. I do think if the Bears hired Harbaugh it would be wonderful for Fields.

The Broncos, well, they are definitely in the market for a head coach but they gave up a good amount of draft capital to land Wilson, he has not looked good, and now they are kind of stuck with him. I mean, what team would want to trade for Russell after watching his performance this season? Honestly, the people that claimed Wilson was on the decline look to have been correct. So, while I think the Broncos new ownership would probably give Harbaugh all he wanted to coach the team, I am not sure he would want to take on probably a few years of rebuilding and crawling out from under the mistakes of previous regimes. Now that Broncos team would need to try to rebuild by selling off assets and starting all over.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
A couple of potential wild cards for Harbaugh:

The Dolphins could go after him. We know that the Dolphins owner is a Michigan guy but as such he might want Harbaugh to coach the Dolphins but he also might want him to remain in Michigan to keep kicking Ohio State around. Plus the Dolphins are having a good year and McDaniel has done a good job. I can't see firing him after this kind of season.

The Cardinals also could be a great fit. Harbaugh would probably love to work with Murray so, I can see this job appealing to him. Harbaugh is going to cost any team that wants him, in salary and the kind of control of the team he would require.

Plus, Harbaugh can always just stay in Michigan. If he milks Michigan for more cash I can see him staying there. I also recall that Harbaugh is said to be a guy that holds a grudge and he very well could be out to stick it to Michigan for making him take a pay cut. Hard to read what he might do.

I do think when or if he returns to the NFL, it will be totally on his terms.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
NFL.com is pretty critical of Colts coach Saturday about how he let time run off the clock on the final drive. Seems to prove he’s in over his head as the head guy. The Colts season is definitely over after last night’s loss.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NFL.com is pretty critical of Colts coach Saturday about how he let time run off the clock on the final drive. Seems to prove he’s in over his head as the head guy. The Colts season is definitely over after last night’s loss.
Saturday is trying to defend his decision not to use a timeout. However, with less than a minute to go in the game and you have all three timeouts, that's a blunder not using one of them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A couple of potential wild cards for Harbaugh:

The Dolphins could go after him. We know that the Dolphins owner is a Michigan guy but as such he might want Harbaugh to coach the Dolphins but he also might want him to remain in Michigan to keep kicking Ohio State around. Plus the Dolphins are having a good year and McDaniel has done a good job. I can't see firing him after this kind of season.

The Cardinals also could be a great fit. Harbaugh would probably love to work with Murray so, I can see this job appealing to him. Harbaugh is going to cost any team that wants him, in salary and the kind of control of the team he would require.

Plus, Harbaugh can always just stay in Michigan. If he milks Michigan for more cash I can see him staying there. I also recall that Harbaugh is said to be a guy that holds a grudge and he very well could be out to stick it to Michigan for making him take a pay cut. Hard to read what he might do.

I do think when or if he returns to the NFL, it will be totally on his terms.
Miami is doing quite well with their current coach, and owner Stephen Ross has said repeatedly that he will not be the reason Harbaugh leaves Michigan. He's not taking the Dolphins job.

While anything else is possible, I think last off-season's failed courtship with the Vikings was a reality check for Harbaugh. NFL teams rarely turn over the type of control he's looking for to a head coach. It's the reason he left SF. He gets that type of control in the NCAA. As long as Michigan pays him, I think he sticks around now that he's having success after struggling early on.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Last night instant analysis agreed he probably should have called a time out, but most spread the blame to the OC, Game Analysts in his ear, and the veteran QB who could have called his own timeout after the 15 yd run. I'm not sure how much discretion Ryan had in that situation independent of the Head Coach, but he probably had a better understanding of where all the players were scattered and how long it was going to take to get everyone in position.

Many of the talking heads (not just internet commentators) also blamed Matt Ryan for not understanding where the 1st Down marker was and intentionally going down short when he pretty easily could have gotten the 1st down without much contact. I'd have to look at the play again to be sure, but at the time I thought he gave away several yds before he was in danger of being tackled.

As a tiny defense of Saturday -- with a good offense, 30 seconds, 3 timeouts, and 25 yd line shouldn't have been that much of an issue, but with the Colts offense the extra 15 seconds would have prevented the whole scramble drill and botched 3rd down play to begin with.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree this is definitely not all on Saturday. As noted, there are veteran players and assistants that could have raised the TO issue. Plus there are veteran HC's out there (such as Andy Reid) who seem to continue with dubious clock management skills after years of coaching.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I agree this is definitely not all on Saturday. As noted, there are veteran players and assistants that could have raised the TO issue. Plus there are veteran HC's out there (such as Andy Reid) who seem to continue with dubious clock management skills after years of coaching.
Yes clock and field position management seems to be more of “either you have it, or don’t have it” than it’s an ability that can be fully learned.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Yes clock and field position management seems to be more of “either you have it, or don’t have it” than it’s an ability that can be fully learned.
Agreed. Going back to the Titans loss, I still don't understand the decision to kick a field goal when down by 7 in the 4th quarter on 4th and 3 at the Cincinnati 20.

Worst case, you don't get it, Bengals get the ball at the 20. That's worse field position for them than a touchback after the ensuing kickoff. It still makes no sense to me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was impressed with Purdue QB Aidan O'Connell in last night's Big Ten Championship game. He demonstrated incredible accuracy - - he consistently dropped perfect passes into tightly covered receivers. He could be a nice later round pick in next spring's NFL draft.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Seems that the Bengals have risen from the ashes to be a possible factor in the AFC. I know they play the Bills at home on Monday night January 2nd. Could be a monster game that determines who gets which seed.

The Bengals remaining schedule-
vs Browns
at Tampa
at New England
vs Buffalo
vs Baltimore

The next 3 games are very winnable (would be disappointing if they don’t win them all), then their final 2 games are critical.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"49ers lose QB Jimmy Garoppolo for the rest of the season."

1670252534564.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks