What's new

2019 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Players deserve to be booed when they’re not hustling, but otherwise I kind of agree with you
that if a player is obviously trying, or trying too hard, it’s unfair to boo poor performance. Whether booing is right or wrong, fair or unfair, some clueless athletes have to realize that criticism and unrealistic expectations is a part of their job and their comfortable paychecks- my take.
I think athletes do realize that, but that doesn't mean they have to like it. Sure, many athletes are entitled, but so are many fans. I've been a Yankee fan all of my life. I attended my first Yankee game in 1961. With that said, I can't stand the Yankee fan base with their entitlement attitude. The most spoiled fan base I've ever encountered in my life, especially, those that have been fans for only the last 20-25 years. When Yankee fans booed Mo Rivera and Derek Jeter during a rough patch, both players were having in a particular season that was the last straw for me in regard to how I feel about my own fan base.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
When I was younger I booed plenty of players.
But it was more of a comment on results not the effort of the player.

Most of the booing we did was at the other team to annoy and distract them.

Even now the majority of fans who are booing Hoskins after going 6 for last 70 and making an error leading to a game winning run are booing results. Not the player.
Rodriguez is barely a major leaguer and if he wasn’t friends with the manager he wouldn’t be on this team.

Before he called the fans entitled, they are booing his results which are terrible.
Now they are booing him cause he made it personal.

You can’t have 1 hit in August. Then hit a game winning home run and act like “youre the man” by pounding your chest etc then immediately complain that the fans call you out on your poor season long performance.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Booing your own players because of bad results doesn't help the player out his slump, but probably places even more pressure on them. I can understand a kid booing their own players as they lack the maturity to think logically when it comes to helping your own player get better results.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Possibly but I think it’s better then no reaction or apathy.

My issue is the fans who want to be the character of that fan who boos everything.
There’s a big part of the people in attendance at Phils games that are that. Just playing a character and it’s not good.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
When I was younger I booed plenty of players.
But it was more of a comment on results not the effort of the player.

Most of the booing we did was at the other team to annoy and distract them.

Even now the majority of fans who are booing Hoskins after going 6 for last 70 and making an error leading to a game winning run are booing results. Not the player.
Rodriguez is barely a major leaguer and if he wasn’t friends with the manager he wouldn’t be on this team.

Before he called the fans entitled, they are booing his results which are terrible.
Now they are booing him cause he made it personal.

You can’t have 1 hit in August. Then hit a game winning home run and act like “youre the man” by pounding your chest etc then immediately complain that the fans call you out on your poor season long performance.
Very well said- his comments smell worse because he’s a utility player who’s hitting
.224- he’s not exactly a key player on the team.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Phils a nice comfortable win, and Rhys had a good night (the fans were cheering his contributions).

Syndergaard was a mammoth disappointment tonight- he got shelled in a game the Mets had to win.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Phils a nice comfortable win, and Rhys had a good night (the fans were cheering his contributions).

Syndergaard was a mammoth disappointment tonight- he got shelled in a game the Mets had to win.

Noah is hard to figure out. What happened??

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Yes this is what today’s game sort of looks like now, sad but true. Torre probably suspended the pitcher for missing the plate inside too. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Mets season seems like it’s over at this point..

Next year....
I wouldn’t give up on them just yet- if they can win the series at CBP vs. a mediocre Phils team, they’ll be back in the mix.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Yankees announced some good and bad news today. The good news is that Luke Voit was activated from the Injured List. The bad news is Gio Urshela and his 142 OPS+ takes his place on the Injured List.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't like Mike Axisa stealing my good and bad news line.;) Original isn't it.:)

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...rs-in-a-single-season-as-gio-urshela-hits-il/

"As has been the case seemingly all season, the New York Yankees received both good and bad news on the injured front Friday.

Friday's injured list news is noteworthy. Historic, even. Urshela is the 29th different Yankee to be placed on the injured list this year, setting a new MLB record. The 2016 Dodgers held the previous record with 28 different players landing on what was then called the disabled list. Prior to that, the 2012 Red Sox held the record with 27 players.

The Yankees have used the injured list 36 separate times this season. Not surprisingly, New York has lost far and away the most man games to injury this year. From Spotrac:

1. Yankees: 2,246 games lost
  2. Padres: 1,653
  3. Phillies: 1,555
  4. Pirates: 1,382
  5. Angels: 1,314"

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Nola on the mound tonight (he’s been our only good starter in recent memory).

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The unwritten rules rears their ugly head again, and make the players look childish. Reds infielder Freddie Galvis popped up to the outfield, and ran across the front of the pitcher’s mound on the way to the dugout. Cardinals pitcher Miles Mikolas immediately took exception, and yelled and pointed at Freddie. A fight almost happened. Grow up, Miles. Sheesh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.