What's new

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This Astros controversy about stealing signs is gaining steam and is looking bad for that organization. I suspect after the MLB investigation is completed that suspensions, fines and lost draft choices might be handled out.
Wow! MLB threw down the hammer on the Astros. GM and Manager suspended for one year. More to come.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Astros are going to have to create an image makeover- the sign stealing stuff, and the actions of the assistant GM during the playoffs have sullied their name.
That assistant GM, who was fired by the Astros earlier was also placed on indefinite suspension by MLB from working for any other MLB team. I think Luhnow, Hinch and Taubman might be blackballed by other MLB teams.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
That assistant GM, who was fired by the Astros earlier was also placed on indefinite suspension by MLB from working for any other MLB team. I think Luhnow, Hinch and Taubman might be blackballed by other MLB teams.
Yes all those guys won’t get a job any time soon.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
From an article:

There are two individual sign-stealing scandals rocking MLB right now, and they have one thing in common. The Los Angeles Dodgers. The Houston Astros are accused of using well-placed cameras and trash cans to steal opponents’ signs in 2017. The Boston Red Sox are accused of violating the same rule, with a different system, in 2018. They won World Series titles in those respective seasons, each defeating the Dodgers to do it.

“Honestly, we're curious to see what happens,” Dodgers outfielder Cody Bellinger said, via ESPN. “It sucks, man. We were close, but we did it the right way.”

This Dodger fan (me) wants an asterisk next to those two teams wins in the record books.

Why not?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This ends up being a Landis style punishment de facto if not de jure since Hinch will never get another managing job again after this.

The Astros beat the Yankees fair and square in the 2019 ALCS but the 2017 ALCS loss is always going to have an air of taint to me given how the Astros were a totally different team at home compared to the road and the report says the cheating was continuing through the postseason.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
And one addendum. If the news is bad on the Red Sox for 2018 that taints their title since the Red Sox benefited all season from being able to coast their way to an AL East title without the pressure of a wildcard game. Yankees can claim they were screwed both years (and let's add Aaron Judge being screwed out of an MVP in 2017 and Girardi out of his job).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What did Beltran do?
He was named in that Astros report too. The only player actually named in that nine page report from MLB. No player has been disciplined if they told the truth to MLB. Apparently, Beltran lied to the NY media that he wasn't involve in that Astros situation, but admitted his involvement to MLB. Do the Mets ownership want that drama? The Mets have enough trouble with the local media.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
He was only the ringleader among the players on the Astros behind the whole thing. He's the only player named in the report but because he was a player then, no discipline since players are all off the hook. But now he's a new manager with no credibility.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
He was only the ringleader among the players on the Astros behind the whole thing. He's the only player named in the report but because he was a player then, no discipline since players are all off the hook. But now he's a new manager with no credibility.

Oh I was thinking that Cora was the one behind it all on both teams.
This is the first I’ve seen anyone mention Beltran.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
It’s interesting that the managers are being fired and the players are not facing any discipline.

I wonder if Beltrán will be asked about this ongoing this year?? Could be a distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks