1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Nov 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Beltran hasn't even managed a game yet, but his credibility is already in question with the media and some of the fan base. The pressure will be on the Wilpons to either keep him or ride with him as manager. If I'm them, I would cut ties and hire another manager as they don't need that PR headache.

Jeffrey D and Osato like this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I think you already know the answer to that question. He complicates his situation by lying to the media and we know the NYC media is vicious and don't take kindly to being lied to.

Jeffrey D and Osato like this.
  3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    By the way, they are saying Cora is going to get a longer suspension than Hinch, once the Red Sox investigation is completed. His managerial career might be over with. Apparently, there is a lot of anger throughout MLB over these scandals. I suspect the new CBA will have something in it to deal with players that try to do this crap again in the future. The message is clear from MLB regarding management's involvement. If you're caught doing this stuff then your baseball managerial career is in severe jeopardy.

4. Osato

Osato Producer

So more heads could roll...

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yup! The Red Sox already have a new GM so they won't have to replace their GM. So that leaves the Mets with Beltran. With that said, the Red Sox might get some additional punishment depending on what MLB determines what happen in 2018.

TBH, I didn't expect this type of blow back in which baseball operation managers are losing their jobs and possibly their careers. Two of the last three WS winning managers have lost their jobs and either are suspended or will be in the near future. Think about it, Hinch and Cora won't be allowed to be at any MLB or Minor League ballpark in 2020. They can't attend spring training games. As somebody said on the MLB channel, those guys are "persona non grata" and might be blackballed by the industry from being a MLB manager again.

Osato likes this.
  6. Osato

Osato Producer

7. Osato

Osato Producer

Wow. So up to 8 teams.....

Two sources familiar with the investigation, which lasted three months and included more than 70,000 e-mails and 60 interviews, said various Astros personnel told MLB investigators about eight other teams who used technology to steal signs in 2017 or 2018–such was the culture of the time.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/13/houston-astros-cheating-punishment

8. Robert Crawford

Robert
  9. Osato

Osato Producer

this is an interesting and informative article:
    https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/01/13/houston-astros-cheating-punishment

10. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    If it’s true that Beltran lied to the GM and the Wilpons about his involvement in the illegal relay system with the Astros, then he should be dismissed as Mets manager- he wouldn’t have been hired or even interviewed if the timing of
    the story were different.

Osato likes this.
  11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Beltran was hired before news of this scandal became known. However, when the story did break, the local sports reporters like Joel Sherman asked him about it and he told them he didn't know anything about it and never observed such a thing happening in Houston. Lying to the media causes lifetime enemies which means his honeymoon period is over with before he even manages a game and everything he does or says will be scrutinize and question by not only the media, but also the fan base. The Mets already have enough of a PR problem then having to deal with this situation so they can easily cut bait and hire one of the guys they already interviewed. Furthermore, their minority owner is buying majority interest in the team from the Wilpons. If I was him, I would tell the Wilpons to get rid of him because you don't invest billions of dollars to inherit this kind of mess.

12. Osato

Osato Producer

it seem mlb is only going after coaches and managers. Players are not being punished.
    Also mlb cleared Beltrán.
    I understand there could be another issue if he was not being honest to the media.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert
    MLB isn’t going after Beltran, but that doesn’t mean the Mets ownership will want to deal with the aftermath of this scandal. Furthermore, Beltran wasn’t cleared by MLB, they just chose not to discipline him after he admitted his involvement in this cheating scandal. Again, Beltran lied to the media, they’re going to stay on him like stink on crap. It’s not going away.

14. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo
    Supporter

John Dhein
    Rob Manfred is far to frightened of the players Union to go after any players in this scandal. It's a shame, but there it is.

He already offered immunity to any player who spoke to his investigators.

Osato likes this.
  15. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    From the S.I. article...about sums up the state of things:

According to one baseball source, MLB “spent the entire ’17 postseason running back and forth chasing down allegations about who was stealing signs. Everybody was charging everybody with doing it. The following year paranoia was rampant."

Osato likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Actually, Manfred is being smart because CBA negotiations are taking place and this isn’t the time to make those difficult negotiations more difficult as the relationship between the PA and MLB is already strained. Both parties need to avoid any type of work stoppage. With that said, I expect the new CBA to have language in it that will deal with players in any future similar cheating scandals. Similar to how they deal with domestic violence issues. Yeah, the players got a “mulligan” for 2017 and probably 2018, but that loophole is going to be closed in the future.

17. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Rumor is the Mets and Beltran will separate today.

Jeffrey D likes this.
  18. Osato

Osato Producer

quite a turn but at this point probably the best for everyone.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It hasn’t happened yet.

20. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Beltran is out as Mets manager! I'm not sure how I feel about that. I understand why the Mets did it, but I still don't like it.

Osato likes this.