1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2019-2020 MLB Hot Stove

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mike Frezon, Nov 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    Dave Roberts (Dodgers manager) and A.J. Hinch (Astros) are close friends. That's something I'd like to hear more about at some point.

Osato likes this.
  2. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Did you guys see what Jessica Mendoza said?

Basically called Fiers a snitch and said he should have kept it in house.

She tried to backtrack and say that’s not what she meant.

btw she works for the Mets in an advisory roll.

ESPN should let her go.

Osato likes this.
  3. Osato

Osato Producer

I think these managers should all be impeached instead of fired.

seriously I hope the Mets can go with one off the other candidates they interviewed.

If Carlos stayed on I could see the media not letting the issue go. The Mets are not in need of any more distractions too. They usually make up enough during the season anyway.... : )

4. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Someone on MLB Radio mentioned that Beltran is eligible for the hall of fame in the near future. Eligible, yes. Electable, no. His stats are borderline at best, and this cheating scandal
    will almost certainly keep him out- those who vote for eligible players will now lump him in with the PED guys who were caught by the current testing procedure.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

ESPN never should have hired her. When she and A-Rod get going on Sunday night baseball...well, let me just say I watch the game with the audio muted. Neither one is good at the job.

6. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    ESPN has made themselves look bad in hiring
    A Rod. He was the poster board for what’s wrong with baseball a short time ago, and the little bit I’ve heard of his work as the color guy
    didn’t impress me- he comes across with his delivery and tone of voice that every thing he says has to be listened to. You’re right- he’s a
    reason the mute button was invented.

MartinP. likes this.
  7. Jack P

Jack P Producer

Congratulations to the Captain for the Hall of Fame (even if one idiot had to keep from making it unanimous). Well-deserved for one of the greatest of Yankees.

I was sorry Curt Schilling didn't make it but he looks to be in place for next year. I keep hoping the numbers on Bonds and Clemens will get closer because IMO they should be in, period. There was never any disciplining of them for violating MLB rules (which is why Ramirez and A-Rod should be out of the HOF) and they were already HOF players for the bulk of their careers (and as far as I'm concerned, you can't have Gaylord Perry in the HOF who made it based on an illegal pitch and then get out of shape on Bonds and Clemens).

Osato likes this.
  8. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Ramirez 28% of the vote in his 4th year of eligibility. He’s not getting in. A Rod, Cano,
    and anyone else with worthy stats who have been caught in the current testing system won’t likely get voted in.

Jeter- Even though it’s not the big deal some in the media will make of it, it’s still inexcusable for the 1 writer to leave him off of his/her ballot. The reason of nobody ever got in with every vote is no longer valid, so the likely reason is spite or
    vindictiveness.

Osato likes this.
  9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Umpires to be mic'ed up this season for review calls. Also, DH is coming for the NL, maybe as soon as 2021. It's about time, I know some of you are unhappy about it, but I thought it was dumb to continue to play with two different sets of rules. Furthermore, the price tag for pitching continues to rise and and it's stupid to expose them to injury possibilities by letting them hit and run bases.

10. Osato

Osato Producer

bad news for DeGrom. He’s driven in the only runs at times when he has pitched over the past 2 years!! : )

how many pitchers are injured each year from batting and base running?? I wonder.

I agree from a $ standpoint pitchers should just pitch.

I do like not having a dh in the nl. It makes each league unique.

im sure expansion will change the teams and unify the way the game is played too.

will Oakland ever get a stadium and what is to be done in Tampa? where does baseball expand to when those cities stadiums are settled??

11. Jack P

Jack P Producer

The "uniqueness" the two leagues ended with Interleague play and abolition of league offices and even the separate umpires for each league (when you used to have the distinction of AL umps with the outside chest protector). At this point there's little reason to maintain the notion there's much difference between the leagues when you also have to play one interleague game every day.

12. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    Ugh- the universal DH and the 3 batter minimum rules are bullshit- these changes take away a lot of strategy decisions that managers have to make. The game is being sullied by the powers that be, and the $.

MartinP. likes this.
  13. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    As reported on SNL's Weekend Update:

"Jeter was named to the Hall of Fame this week in his first time on the ballot, with the big controversy being that he came one vote shy of a unanimous decision by the Baseball Writers Association. In case you were wondering if Derek Jeter ever slept with a baseball writer's wife." :)

Jeffrey D likes this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Looks like a big trade might be going down in the next couple of days between the Dodgers and Red Sox. I can't believe the Dodgers are going to bail out the Red Sox again, financially by taking on another bad contract with Price's 96M over the next three years and one year of Betts contract of 27M, who's going to be a free agent after the 2020 season. In fairness, if Price pitches well in 2020, then this trade could possibly help them win a WS title in 2020, if Bettts has an excellent year too before hitting free agency. Still, it reminds me a little of the 2012 trade when the Red Sox got financial relief by trading Carl Crawford, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers.

Osato likes this.
  15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Well, the trade went down involving the Dodgers, Red Sox and Twins.

MartinP. likes this.
  16. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    So we (Dodgers) get Mookie and Price.

I liked the three players we traded, Kenta Maeda, Alex Verdugo and Joc Pederson, but with Mookie in the outfield, Joc wasn't needed. He'll be with Angels, nearby, though. Verdugo was a rookie last year and was injured the last 1/3 of the season, so didn't have time for him to grow on me. The last couple seasons the pitchers we traded for were duds. Maeda could be a starter or a reliever, and was, so hopefully Price won't be a dud.

So, Boston needs an outfielder. Yasiel Puig?

Osato likes this.
  17. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The Angels apparently also receive Ross Stripling from the Dodgers -- not sure what else the Angels gave up.

_Man_

Osato likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
  19. Osato

Osato Producer

20. Jeffrey D

Jeffrey D Screenwriter

Jeffrey D Hanawalt
    All the Dodgers need is a bullpen arm or 2, and they’ll be World Series champs this year.

Price- seems to me he’ll be healthy this year
    (I think at least some of his “injuries” had to do
    with his being in a town he didn’t like). He’ll pitch
    like a strong 3 or weak 2.

MartinP. likes this.