What's new

2018 At The Boxoffice (3 Viewers)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
$85 million would definitely be "great" for this film, since past Pooh projects have never gone beyond $45 million total (The Tigger Movie in 2000).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Define "do great".

I'm going $85 million total in the US.

I've not seen a trailer for the film and know little about it, so this is a pretty uneducated guess - but when did that stop me? :D
That’s a good guess as early tracking has it opening in the $30 million range.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The last Winnie the Pooh film in 2011 (which Disney stupidly opened against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and somehow didn't realize would be crushed, even though I did) has a $26 million domestic total from its entire run. I don't know what Disney spent on Christopher Robin, but I'm betting they'll be happy with a weekend gross this weekend that exceeds that mark in its first weekend.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The last Winnie the Pooh film in 2011 (which Disney stupidly opened against Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and somehow didn't realize would be crushed, even though I did) has a $26 million domestic total from its entire run. I don't know what Disney spent on Christopher Robin, but I'm betting they'll be happy with a weekend gross this weekend that exceeds that mark in its first weekend.

They definitely would be happy with that. Disney obviously doesn't have much faith in the film or they wouldn't keep the review embargo going until 10 p.m. Eastern tonight.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
What's funny is that the movie will begin preview screenings at 5pm local time, so it will actually be screening for the public before the review embargo lifts. That's extremely unusual.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
What's funny is that the movie will begin preview screenings at 5pm local time, so it will actually be screening for the public before the review embargo lifts. That's extremely unusual.
Very much so.

Michael Phillips of the Chicago Tribune apparently posted a review earlier. He took it down and posted this on Twitter:

After a gracious and cool-headed discussion w @Disney, the Tribune "Christopher Robin" review posted earlier today is taking a nap until 9pm CST, per the studio’s unusually late embargo. No more questions at this time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have my ticket for Christopher Robin tomorrow and there is not a single thing that could keep me away. Winnie the Pooh, Ewan McGregor and Hayley Atwell. That's about as good as it gets for me.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Well, it is a Marc Forster movie... I don't think he's put out a single "big" movie since studios started giving him big budget work that wasn't plagued with some kind of problem or another, whether it was shooting Quantum Of Solace without a script or Brad Pitt refusing to speak with him during World War Z reshoots. I'm amazed he gets this kind of high profile work when the output doesn't really seem to justify it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still looking forward to seeing it, but I have very low expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.