What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I mentioned my Pick the Winners win on my Facebook timeline. A graphic artist friend of mine (that happens to have a fun sense of humor) superimposed one of my profile pictures into an image that is familiar to holiday movie fans, suggesting what I should win:

i-zCdDBvg.jpg

:rolling-smiley:

Mark
I can hear my acceptance speech at the ceremony: "I'd like to thank the members of the academy for this prestigious award that my wife will not allow me to accept." :D

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Yep, PwC managing partners Cullinan and Ruiz will never work the Oscars again!

http://abc7.com/entertainment/accountants-responsible-for-oscar-mistake-fired/1779865/

At least they still have their jobs at PwC.

Mark

How do they recruit their replacements?

"Wanted: individuals with the willpower and discipline to not succumb to the temptations of glamour, glitz, stardom, fun and excitement."

I would think that the candidate(s) selected, possessing that skill set, could be put to better use in service to their country.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Well, I saw this mentioned on some news broadcast and they talked about how wonderful and special it was for this convicted felon to be there and what a great way to celebrate his release.

However, it seems many in Hollywood were furious about it because they said if we are going to surprise everybody at the Oscars with a convicted rapist it should be Roman Polanski. They found inviting in a rapist that was not Polanski to be very offensive.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I think Denzel was disappointed because FENCES was his baby all the way. I understand that.

I'm a Denzel fan generally, and I understand anyone's natural desire to win, but bigger picture, I'm glad he didn't. First, IMO it was far from his best acting performance, to me, he overacted pretty badly, it was distracting when I saw the film, which i still liked.

Second, DW has been treated well by the Academy overall. He has two Oscars, which is as many as Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, and Marlon Brando for crissakes. He's a very good actor, but not THAT good, IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a Denzel fan generally, and I understand anyone's natural desire to win, but bigger picture, I'm glad he didn't. First, IMO it was far from his best acting performance, to me, he overacted pretty badly, it was distracting when I saw the film, which i still liked.

Second, DW has been treated well by the Academy overall. He has two Oscars, which is as many as Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, and Marlon Brando for crissakes. He's a very good actor, but not THAT good, IMO.
If you saw the play, you wouldn't think he overacted.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
If you saw the play, you wouldn't think he overacted.

Perhaps, but I didn't, I just have the movie to go on. I found his acting to be too histrionic at times so maybe the fault (in my mind) lies with the playwright for writing an unrealistically histrionic lead acting role. On the other hand, I thought Viola Davis hit just the right tone and deserved her win.

I can see how it would irk DW that this movie was his baby and yet one of his co-stars won an Oscar for it and he didn't.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I thought Kimmel was great.

Yes, IMO the worst aspect of the Best Picture flub was that it is and always will overshadow what should have been the big takeaway from this Oscars, which was that Kimmel was excellent, really good start to finish. He was good in his set pieces and talking off the cuff, I really enjoyed him and thus the show.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Denzel was not upset because he lost! He has 2 Oscars. His face most probably was that of a protest again Casey winning. (Because of the alleged abuses)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Denzel was not upset because he lost! He has 2 Oscars. His face most probably was that of a protest again Casey winning. (Because of the alleged abuses)

Affleck I thought mentioned and tipped his hat to Denzel in his speech. Why would Denzel be protesting Affleck's win? I can't say why Washington looked however he did...I have not seen what faces he was making...but he does have a reputation of being sort of a grouchy stand-offish kind of guy at times. I'm pretty certain Denzel was the expected winner and he knew that. So, maybe he was just shocked...

Yes, I've seen a lot of people protesting Affleck being given the prize and that it sends the wrong message. Washington I don't think has commented on that or said he felt it was an issue. Did he refuse to applaud and just sit there making a face when Affleck won?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Did he refuse to applaud and just sit there making a face when Affleck won?

I shouldn't be encouraging this...but hope that it'll become clear that without hearing directly from Denzel himself, we'll never know what his state of mind was at that moment:

denzel-washington-reaction-zoom-d47aa922-aecf-4f4f-9ba9-becd28ede0b1.jpg

giphy.gif

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps, but I didn't, I just have the movie to go on. I found his acting to be too histrionic at times so maybe the fault (in my mind) lies with the playwright for writing an unrealistically histrionic lead acting role. .

I thought his performance was Oscar worthy, and was a bit shocked that Affleck won.
Just as in 'Training Day' his acting was magnetic, and powerful.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I shouldn't be encouraging this...but hope that it'll become clear that without hearing directly from Denzel himself, we'll never know what his state of mind was at that moment:

denzel-washington-reaction-zoom-d47aa922-aecf-4f4f-9ba9-becd28ede0b1.jpg

giphy.gif

Well, whatever he is feeling is certainly his own thing. To me that looks like a look of disbelief the way he looks down and away. I honestly think he is just shocked. Unless he specifically says something among all the other protests of Affleck winning I would just take it as he was surprised by the losing.

I think odder than Denzel is that his wife looks like she is attempting to stifle a laugh in that clip.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At least his wife is happy:D
She is probably thinking better not to have someone who would say I won 3 Oscars at each argument! :D

But seriously these people are actors. They can act and they will all act happy when they lose. He is not a sore loser.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There's definitely something there, as he cannot even manage any tepid, polite applause while everyone around him applauds and smiles. It's not like he hasn't lost before, he's been nominated for acting seven times and won two. Not sure what was different this time, unless he does this every time he loses. I don't recall past years.

PwC representatives had to be pushed and prodded to correct Oscar mistake:

http://ew.com/awards/2017/03/02/oscars-accountants-pushed/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don't want to spend too much time psycho-analyzing the look on Denzel's face, because as much as I might look, I'll never know what he's thinking.

But I think it's worth noting that Fences has been a passion project for Mr. Washington. Scott Rudin approached him to appear in a film adaptation in the mid-2000s, and at the time, Denzel said he would only be interested in making a film version if he could play the role onstage first. He did get to play the part on Broadway in 2010. Looking at it from that perspective, it's a project he's been involved with for over seven years, not just the year or so that it takes to make the movie. He's probably a lot closer to the material than most or all of the other nominees in his category were to their films, just by virtue of the amount of time he spent involved with the story.

Throw in that he had been gaining "momentum" (I don't actually believe that one awards win inspires another, but the prognosticators certainly do), where Affleck had been expected to win all awards season, until Washington won the SAG award, and he might have come into the evening expecting a win that didn't come.

So who knows.. but I don't begrudge the man if he's disappointed that he didn't get an award for something he probably spent almost ten years of his life on, that he might have thought about as being a career-defining turn.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Jim Carrey congratulates Emma Stone on her Best Actress win and being in the Best Picture...well...for all of 25 seconds.

I seem to be unable to view this clip. That said, this was clearly from a low point in Jim's life. I recall my wife telling me Jim Carrey had messaged Emma Stone (On Twitter, I believe!), proclaiming his undying love for her, or words to that effect, and that she was quite (understandably!) disturbed by that. I hope that he's faring better, these days!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks