What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (3 Viewers)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the Jim Carrey video telling Emma how much he loves her is a gag but I don't know much about it or the context in which it was made. As far as I know Emma Stone just said she loved it...I think lots of other people were creeped out by it but she was alright with it I think. I do think Jim should do another one in light of her Best Actress win :lol:

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I shouldn't be encouraging this...but hope that it'll become clear that without hearing directly from Denzel himself, we'll never know what his state of mind was at that moment:

denzel-washington-reaction-zoom-d47aa922-aecf-4f4f-9ba9-becd28ede0b1.jpg
To further illustrate the futility in reading facial expressions, here's some humorous possibilities:
"Damn, did I leave the water running?"
"Damn, I'm not looking forward to dealing with the post Oscar LA Traffic!"
"Damn, I think my Dentures are slipping!" (No, I don't really suspect that Denzel wears Dentures, but for me, it further illustrates the futility in accurate facial expression reading!)

CHEERS! :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I mentioned my Pick the Winners win on my Facebook timeline. A graphic artist friend of mine (that happens to have a fun sense of humor) superimposed one of my profile pictures into an image that is familiar to holiday movie fans, suggesting what I should win:

i-zCdDBvg.jpg

:rolling-smiley:

Mark
Don't knock it, its Italian!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is weird that nearly every Oscar bait movie is a Lionsgate movie?
-Manchester By The Sea
-La La Land
-Moonlight
-Hell Or High Water
-Lion
-Hacksaw Ridge

all Lionsgate.
I must have missed something along the way. I had no idea Lionsgate has become such a powerful force in the world of cinema.
Do other big Studios even try anymore? Do they care?

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Is it just me, or does anyone else think it is weird that nearly every Oscar bait movie is a Lionsgate movie?
-Manchester By The Sea
-La La Land
-Moonlight
-Hell Or High Water
-Lion
-Hacksaw Ridge

all Lionsgate.
I must have missed something along the way. I had no idea Lionsgate has become such a powerful force in the world of cinema.

I wouldn't have thought of Hell Or High Water as Oscar bait - I was thrilled that it was nominated but I did not see that coming.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Hell or High Water wasn't Oscar bait for the sole reason that it was released in August and not the traditional awards season window. It garnered it's critical accolades more organically.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
-Manchester By The Sea
-La La Land
-Moonlight
-Hell Or High Water
-Lion
-Hacksaw Ridge

all Lionsgate.

Big studios concentrate on making popular movies 90% of the population will enjoy, not arty farty pretentious stuff for the other 10%.
MGM once said that because they churned out so many movies like the Andy Hardy series they could make prestige pictures which did not make a profit but were good advertising.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Don't any of you people own a PVR? A 4 hour show -- commercials, boring thank yous, anything else you are not interested in = 1 hour. My God we haven't watched a live show since our first Beta machine in 1986.
Love your post. I can condense the entire show to less than hour, and that's being generous.

I was also a Beta guy, sadly lost out in the war. Wish I'd kept my BetaMax, probably worth some pretty good money now.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
PWC Accountant Wanted to Perform Sketch at Oscars

When the mistake was corrected three minutes later, it was because of a stagehand, not the PwC accountants, who are supposed to memorize all the winners and storm the stage in the unlikely occurrence of a mix-up.
I read an article that announced PWC would no longer be doing the Academy Awards. It does appear that their most recent representative Accountant for the Oscars was a bit too starstruck to properly carry out his ONE job. I believe it's time for another firm to take over that job, one that can furnish non starstruck representatives. The question is what firm?

CHEERS! :)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
We received our prize for the Pick the Winners contest we won at the Oscar viewing dinner party. A $25 gift card to a local restaurant and 2 passes to Regal theaters. Dinner and a movie! :)

Mark

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oscars Tourist 'Gary From Chicago' Goes Hollywood: "I Got a Real Publicist"

As you'll read, Coe had been very open about having just being released from prison when he was unwittingly recruited by a Jimmy Kimmel Live! producer. The producer wasn't dissuaded. On the contrary, Coe was so charming in the bus that they pushed him to the front of the group at the Dolby Theatre.

But Coe, who is now in the process of reintegrating and hopes to help others do the same one day, isn't interested in looking backward. Through the help of his newly acquired publicist, Coe spoke to The Hollywood Reporter about his hardscrabble past and unexpected celebrity.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the real story here is that there's a publicist that is so desperate that he takes on this guy as a client. Who are some of his other clients? Ken Bone? A guy who once yelled "Baba Booey!" during a live news broadcast in Topeka?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satimis
Recent bookmarks