What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
It looked like Denzel Washington had tears in his eyes when Affleck said it. Not happy tears.
I think he is a great actor. But I have seen a couple interviews with him that were downright cringeworthy. Mean, and condescending. I hope he treats his fans better than the press.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It looked like Denzel Washington had tears in his eyes when Affleck said it. Not happy tears.
Hopefully that's just his initial reaction to losing. He's won twice before (one lead and one supporting) and he'll definitely have more chances to win in the future. I've been a fan of Casey Affleck since To Die For but I doubt he'll ever win another Oscar so let him have it this time.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Most of the Twitter complaints seem to be from folks who aren't aware Denzel already has two Oscars. Getting two is hard enough. Three? Unless you're Daniel Day Lewis, Meryl Streep or Katherine Hepburn, Forget it.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I was just informed I won the "Pick the Winners" contest at the Oscar viewing party we attended. 17 out of 24 was good enough for the win. I'm told my prize is on its way in U.S. mail.
:dance:

Mark

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Did you win a trip on a tour bus in LA during next year's Oscar's telecast?! :eek:

I mentioned my Pick the Winners win on my Facebook timeline. A graphic artist friend of mine (that happens to have a fun sense of humor) superimposed one of my profile pictures into an image that is familiar to holiday movie fans, suggesting what I should win:

i-zCdDBvg.jpg

:rolling-smiley:

Mark

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really can't take an awards show seriously when it picks it's Best Picture winner to avoid political controversy, rather than for artistic merit.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I absolutely disagree with your assessment of the films. Moonlight was the best movie for me and many other viewers and critics. Your comments are your own opinion, and in my opinion well off base on multiple levels.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Fair enough, but I must say I love a good variety show, and miss all those great shows that abounded in the 70s.

The Oscars is like the granddaddy variety show of them all, and when done well can be brilliant. The only thing is that (for me) it stopped being done well and so I lost interest some years ago... but irrespective of anything else, when Billy Crystal was the MC, it was a joy to watch.

Yes, just because I don't find much interest in watching it does not mean others should not or would not. I respect the idea that some people might find it entertaining. However, you mention the shows from the 1970s and I would agree that back then, pre-internet, that it was something for people to tune in to. It was a rare opportunity then to watch these filmmakers and actors that you would not see that often live on television. Not to sound like an old fogey, though I will, but the actors and filmmakers back then just were more interesting...in my opinion. Also the films were a lot better.

Now, I mean most of what was nominated I did not have much interest in. I also don't find many of the actors that interesting. Emma Stone won Best Actress...I've seen her in maybe 4 films. I only recall her from a couple of roles so she never made much of an impression on me. Is she really this year's Best Actress? Likely not. In fact though I have not seen all of the performances I am willing to bet that all of the other actors in the Best Actress category gave better performances than her. However, she was in a film that the Academy liked because it is meant to recall "the good ol' days" when Hollywood made musicals. OK, fine. I am good with them wanting to pat themselves on the back.

Is Casey Affleck really the Best Actor of the past year? No, he's not. He does a fine job in Manchester by the Sea and I liked the film. However, the role he plays in it is a role he specializes in...the regular guy with some issues/troubles. Both he and his brother Ben most shine in these kind of roles and preferably if their characters are quiet, say little, and are somewhat soft spoken. I don't consider them "great actors" but they do some good work at times in the right situations. Affleck was perfect for the material in Manchester by the Sea but having seen Viggo in Captain Fantastic and Andrew Garfield in Hacksaw Ridge...those were overall more difficult and better performances. So, Affleck was not the "best" but he was perfectly matched with the material. Manchester by the Sea should win an award for "Best Casting" because they nailed that. My guess is Denzel Washington knows this and so this is in part why he did not look so happy with Affleck's win. Plus I think due to Affleck's issues with sexual harassment of his co-workers Washington had sort of become the favorite in the category and this was the year that films featuring black actors were supposed to clean-up. So, I think there was a major expectation that Washington would win...I thought he would win.

Now, Viola Davis...that's a different story. This woman is truly a pure and amazingly talented actor. Put on any film she is in and she throws her entire being into the part. She is riveting to watch. She has a small part in the film Doubt acting next to Meryl Streep...of all people...and she is flat out electrifying. I don't think many actors could totally steal a scene from Meryl Streep but Viola can. So, do I believe Viola Davis was likely the best supporting actress? Sure, she seems incapable of not being awesome.

Still in all of this it is obvious that naming someone or something the "best" when it comes to filmmaking is not really a fair thing to do. If all of these people made the same film and we were choosing who made the best version, did the best acting, photographed it the best...etc...well, then we could have a "Who is the best?" competition. But these people all did different things, in different films, that required different work, different styles, different techniques...so,
how could Moonlight or La La Land be best?

So, the most fun thing about the Academy Awards this year was somebody handed Warren Beatty the wrong envelope. Just my opinion.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I thought the show was surprisingly unpolitical. All the people who were supposed to say something, said nothing. Meryl Streep, Mahershala Ali, Casey Affleck, etc. I was actually shocked how bland it was, nobody said anything.

If you thought the show was too political, it was only because of one person, Kimmel. It was only Kimmel repeating those political jokes and I thought he did it way too much. A little at the beginning would have been enough.

Also I didn't buy Viola Davis trying to be passionate. She was like acting for a movie scene. And saying "we are the only profession that celebrates what it means to live a life." did not help at all. Very offensive.
I didn't think the show was excessively political. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who thought Viola Davis was acting during her acceptance speech. It was way overwrought. While I disagreed with her when she tried to elevate her profession above all others, I wasn't offended.

It was, he had tears in his eyes so he was very disappointed. A normal human reaction and people should empathize instead of judging him as some kind of bad person.
My interpretation of Denzel (and I am a fan) is that he was angry and a sore loser.
I really can't take an awards show seriously when it picks it's Best Picture winner to avoid political controversy, rather than for artistic merit.
Picking a movie with an all black cast about the maturing of a boy growing up with a drug addicted mother while he's trying to figure out if he's gay for best picture is non-controversial and is a safe pic? You gotta be kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks