What's new

2017 Academy Award Nominations Thread (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Don't any of you people own a PVR? A 4 hour show -- commercials, boring thank yous, anything else you are not interested in = 1 hour. My God we haven't watched a live show since our first Beta machine in 1986.

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
There are entire swaths of movies that are inaccessible to non-academy members. If you can find even one of the Foreign Language films in any given year, good luck. The short films across the board don't play anywhere unless they're the animated ones from Pixar or Disney. I only got to see live and animated shorts because they popped up on On Demand the day before the Oscars.

Blockbusters exist for the Academy sometimes if they have critical acclaim. Titanic, Avatar, and LOTR:ROTK were huge hits that won Best Picture. Many more have been nominated, even as recently as last year (The Martian). This year happens to be especially low grossing, which probably is why it was the lowest ratings in 9 years.

Avatar lost best picture to "The Hurt Locker" but your point is well taken

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Don't any of you people own a PVR? A 4 hour show -- commercials, boring thank yous, anything else you are not interested in = 1 hour. My God we haven't watched a live show since our first Beta machine in 1986.

I don't have a PVR nor do I know what one is but I have this

Macallan 25.jpg

and a fireplace and that gets me through the night just fine.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Blockbusters exist for the Academy sometimes if they have critical acclaim. Titanic, Avatar, and LOTR:ROTK were huge hits that won Best Picture. Many more have been nominated, even as recently as last year (The Martian). This year happens to be especially low grossing, which probably is why it was the lowest ratings in 9 years.
It's not much of a secret that blockbusters these days are cinematic junk food. A good script and believable characters are given short shrift in favor of FX. I've read that quite often, such films are built around FX sequences rather than a good script. That wasn't the case with popular movies of yesteryear. Yet another reason for me not to bother with the Oscars or much of Hollywood's current "product".

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One thing is for sure, they have to fire Brian Cullinan.

What was with that Denzel Washington moment when Casey Affleck won and mentioned him? Denzel was not happy at all. No attempt at smiling or acknowledge him.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Pure speculation, but it may have been a reaction to allegations leveled against Casey Affleck involving sexual harassment. Brie Larson didn't seem too jazzed about Affleck winning either. Affleck denies the allegations and there were two lawsuits, involving two complainants that were settled via mediation.

When one considers what happened to Nate Parker (who was accused of a more serious crime) perhaps some feel like Affleck shouldn't be in the running (let alone win) an Academy Award.

I honestly don't have enough information, but it is disturbing regardless of what actually occurred.

- Walter.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I watched 'Moonlight' today. Its an EXCELLENT film with awesome performances.

But it's not my pick for best film of 2016. Of the Best Picture nominees, I'd place 'Moonlight' at sixth (out of eight, I haven't seen 'Fences' yet).

1. La La Land
2. Arrival
3. Hidden Figures
4. Hacksaw Ridge
5. Lion
6. Moonlight
7. Hell or High Water

8. Manchester by the Sea

I guess I can understand why a bunch of Hollywood (actors) picked 'Moonlight'. The acting was superlative. But a film also needs to pull me into the story more than happened with 'Moonlight'.

Mark

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I personally am not going to watch Nate Parker's film ever. Just because he refused to address it and refused to apologize even a little bit.

Yah Brie Larson played and won an Oscar playing a victim of abuse, she must have not been thrilled to give the award. I'm conflicted to see Manchester or not but I guess I will. Very curious to see what's all the rave about.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I personally am not going to watch Nate Parker's film ever. Just because he refused to address it and refused to apologize even a little bit.

Not defending or even commenting on his controversy, but he absolutely did address it in interviews following the fallout. My wife read them to me from her magazines (Essence I think).

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Yep, Parker did totally address it. And he refused to apologize. Innocent people usually act that way.

I've read multiple articles about the incident. My personal conclusion is Nate Parker is and was innocent.

'The Birth of a Nation' is a fabulous film. Your loss if you don't see it.

Mark

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm in a minority but I didn't like The Birth Of A Nation. The performances are excellent but the movie went from being a thoughtful drama for 90 minutes and became a violent revenge movie for the last 20 minutes. I realize it's following history but I felt that the movie morphing into Death Wish II for its finale ran it off the rails.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm in a minority but I didn't like The Birth Of A Nation. The performances are excellent but the movie went from being a thoughtful drama for 90 minutes and became a violent revenge movie for the last 20 minutes. I realize it's following history but I felt that the movie morphing into Death Wish II for its finale ran it off the rails.
I don't know how you can soften the violence considering what actually happened in that slave revolt.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Someone died in real life, she committed suicide. Innocent or not, the events did happen and I suppose if your actions cause someone to die, even indirectly, you would be upset and sad.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Oscars' 'Gary From Chicago' finished a 20-year stint in prison just before meeting Hollywood's A-list

Oscars sensation 'Gary from Chicago' is attempted RAPIST: Stars' homes tourist was released from jail just three days before stunt after 20 years inside and met his fiancee Vickie behind bars after finding God

This made me laugh so hard. You think they will re-do this next year, invite random people? Many things went wrong and the next year is 90th anniversary, it's a special date. I bet many people will not return.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
If you work in the industry or have friends that do and are up for awards...OK, I can see wanting to watch this. If you don't work in the industry and have no connection to it...this is an amazingly meaningless show. Way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and there was no internet people had reason to watch this show because there were not daily opportunities to see (and in many cases even interact with) actors and filmmakers.

Now you can pretty much watch a new video of the celebrity of your choice any time you want. You can tweet with them, facebook with them, chat with them...whatever. Basically it is now like you have a hard time keeping them out of your life. Plus I mean at my age I honestly don't care what any of them are doing, saying, who they like politically or don't like, and I certainly don't want or need to hear their thoughts on if the president is a boob. I already know the answer to that and I think it is pretty damn obvious.

Basically, this is a show that does not need to take up 4 or more hours of television. They should just broadcast or put on the internet a highlight reel of the winners and what they said. Keep it to under an hour and we're done. The rest of the bombast they can keep and I don't think anybody would lose any sleep over it.

Fair enough, but I must say I love a good variety show, and miss all those great shows that abounded in the 70s.

The Oscars is like the granddaddy variety show of them all, and when done well can be brilliant. The only thing is that (for me) it stopped being done well and so I lost interest some years ago... but irrespective of anything else, when Billy Crystal was the MC, it was a joy to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks