Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Bears

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Is there anything is that quote which isn't true? No team is invincible, and he acknowledged Belichick's coaching ability. Brady did look human in the first half of that Super Bowl until the Falcons began choking and then he and the Pats took over.

Using the greatest comeback in Super Bowl history as evidence that the Patriots, and Brady specifically, are "not as great as people think they are" is moronic at best.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
The Packers and the Steelers are both tempting choices. The Steelers have an advantage of being in the AFC. The Packers sure have a legacy. However, sports bars have never been my thing.

I'm taking all these suggestions under advisement.

The Steelers have Ben. Just sayin'.....

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Most teams have some player(s), present or past, who is a douche bag. If we used that as a criteria, we wouldn't be rooting for any team. Didn't the Packers have a tight end at one time who got in trouble for child molestation?

I wasn't sure if he was referring to Ben as a positive or as a negative! :)

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Most teams have some player(s), present or past, who is a douche bag. If we used that as a criteria, we wouldn't be rooting for any team. Didn't the Packers have a tight end at one time who got in trouble for child molestation?

Accused of banging a cheerleader at a neighbors' kids Homecoming party, I believe. Found not guilty, still living in the same house, married to the same woman.

Now....Mossy Cade.... Raped his own aunt.

James Lofton... Begat Colin Kaepernick (At least that is the story I heard.)

Eddie Lee Ivery.... Accused of rape, by a "dancer" Not even a small settlement. She just went away.

Brandon Underwood.....Plead No Contest to a misdemeanor charge of bangin' a hooker, after she tried to scream rape (She plead guilty to filing false charges.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Davis has always been an interesting case for the Hall of Fame. He was dominant, but only for a few seasons. His post season performances and the fact that the shelf life for running backs is relatively short compared with other skill positions really helps him. He certainly was one of the final pieces that turned the Elway Broncos from bridesmaids into Champs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The great big July look at the NFL 2017 Season

So, here we are in July with training camps opening up and we are about to kick off another NFL season. Does it make sense to look at the NFL in July? Not really, mainly because we know that injuries play such a large part in this sport and before we can start the regular season we have to see how teams survive camp and preseason. Players are bound to go down and new players that surprise us are bound to appear. Plus we know it is not about how teams look in July it is about how they look at the end of December...but this is what is fun about being a sports fan, you get to make guesses and predictions. So, this early look at the NFL will mostly be about what direction teams seem to be heading in.

AFC East

Patriots - OK, so they won the Super Bowl yet again and in a crazy move that I have to think Bill Belichick absolutely hates the team bought some sort of trademark on 19-0...meaning they obviously are going for the perfect season. Their roster, at least in July, looks considerably better than it did starting last season so they certainly look prepared for another season of dominating the NFL. Tom Brady though is at that point where performance wise he could fall off a cliff but the team did keep Jimmy Garoppolo as insurance. You always have to watch Gronk's health and their excellent replacement for him last season Bennett is now a Green Bay Packer and probably Aaron Rodgers new favorite teammate. Also they made a big splash signing Brandin Cooks, an incredibly talented and speedy wide out that is a sincere deep threat...but Brady does not throw deep much, has a lot of weapons already he likes, and new WRs tend to have a hard time integrating into the Patriots complex offense. Do I think they will go 19-0? No, but they certainly should win this division and likely play in the AFC Championship game again.

Dolphins - The rest of this division are all teams that are developing and in transition which means none of them should pose much of a threat to the Patriots. The Dolphins seem ahead of both the Bills and Jets so they likely can play for a Wild Card spot in the playoffs this year...particularly since the AFC North seems to be slipping and the AFC South still stinks.

Bills - Well, the Bills have a new head coach and so this will be sort of a new beginning for them. I expect they will play tough but likely will not be in contention to make the playoffs this year.

Jets - The Jets do not look like they are on the way up and signed another journeyman QB to replace the horrible Ryan Fitzpatrick who brought the big stink he made about his contract before the season right out onto the field.

AFC North

Steelers - While Big Ben looks to officially be in decline and is even doing the thing where he talks about retirement every season now, the Steelers look to be the most loaded team in this division. Everything for them will depend on health and with this team...who ends up suspended. I have to see them as the favorite going in even though we may be at a point in Roethlisberger's career where he regularly misses games due to injury. So, we'll see but at this early stage I still like the Steelers to win this division.

Ravens - I expect the Ravens to be a bit better this season and to fully give the Steelers a run for the division title. I think Harbaugh is the best coach in this division and that counts for something. I also think Flacco is the 2nd best QB in this division which could also play a big part if Big Ben is out for any length of time.

Bengals - The Bengals look like they are going in the wrong direction. They have talent on offense but a terrible offensive line. They only managed to win 6 games last year and they do not look better coming into this season. This will probably be the end of Marvin Lewis.

Browns - No QB in house and a team that has been rebuilding for years means probably another lousy season for the Browns. Oh, they did acquire Brock Osweiler though. Can you name some things worse than being a Browns fan?

AFC South

Texans - OK, let's face it the most underrated coach in the NFL is Bill O'Brien who keeps going to the playoffs with absolutely nobody playing QB for his team. This guy just finds ways to win and he put a scare into the Patriots in the playoffs after beating the Raiders. Sure, it is the worst division in the NFL but he somehow keeps his team above everybody else despite having a horrible offense. Last year even the team owners and management were against the guy and he still took the team to the playoffs. I'd love to see this guy coaching the Raiders, they would own the AFC West. Sadly he is stuck with the Texans but hey, probably back to the playoffs again this year Bill. Oh, and O'Brien may field this year's Dak Prescott at QB. Stay tuned.

Titans - Probably if any team in this horrid division can push the Texans for the division title it is the Titans. Mariota looks like he is improving and so may provide the best QB play in this division this season. Look at it this way though, in the AFC South you have to win the division to make the playoffs.

Jaguars - Last season at this time I thought the Jags would be a big surprise team and that they were on their way up. Well, that came apart at the seams. They have done a lot to improve this team and they look to be coming into this season looking better than last season's dismal effort showed they are. I think having Coughlin around is huge even though he is not coaching. They will be better than 3-13 but I doubt they will be better than the Texans or Titans.

Colts - Can you feel worse for any player in the NFL than Andrew Luck? This team is a train wreck. They do not look improved and they will again have to put all their hopes on Luck's back while attempting not to get him killed. Seriously, Andrew, demand a trade. This is not the team you want to play for. Loads of bad moves by Grigson have left their roster situation a mess. Thankfully Grigson was fired...and in an amazingly hideous move, hired by the Browns for this season. Do the Browns hate their fans or what? I guess the sad question you have to ask is how many years will Andrew Luck have to play for the Colts.

AFC West

Raiders - OK, this is it. This is the year that the Raiders get to the AFC Championship game. Hold on to your hats. The two best teams in the AFC coming into the 2017 season --barring any major injuries-- are the Raiders and the Patriots. One of these two teams should be representing the AFC in the Super Bowl this season. Now, we do have to take into account that Jack Del Rio is a horrible coach that can lose you games as well. And I can't see a Del Rio coached team beating a Belichick coached team in a playoff game but stranger things have happened. Just let Derek Carr stay healthy and I think the Raiders go deep into the playoffs on talent alone. Plus the rest of the AFC West seems to have slipped a little.

Chiefs - Andy Reid teams are very good in the regular season. I think that's all I need to say here. So, probably a playoff spot for them and that is about that.

Broncos - Broncos, to me, look to have taken a step back. I think this division will be all about the Raiders and a little Chiefs in the mix.

Chargers - Well, they are now in LA. The QB is not happy. The big first round pick is likely out for the season. They are playing in what looks like a high school stadium. They have a new head coach. They have as much talent on the team as anybody in their division. Why does this all seem to point to them maybe being one of the worst teams in the NFL this season?

Next up the NFC...

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chargers - Well, they are now in LA. The QB is not happy. The big first round pick is likely out for the season. They are playing in what looks like a high school stadium. They have a new head coach. They have as much talent on the team as anybody in their division. Why does this all seem to point to them maybe being one of the worst teams in the NFL this season?
Well, they are the chargers. I've not read a thing about them for a while, what happened to the draft pick?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, they are the chargers. I've not read a thing about them for a while, what happened to the draft pick?

Mike Williams their big 1st round pick WR and new toy to try to make Rivers smile a little, apparently is going to have to have season ending back surgery before the season even starts. This seems like just a continuation of the horrific string of injuries they had last season.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Since my experience continues to teach me that I know nothing about football, I'll merely list my predicted finish for the divisions, along with one thought.

AFC East
Dolphins
Patriots
Bills
Jets
(Much more of a hope than a prediction. As long as Belicheat is their coach, they will probably win this horror show.)

AFC North
Ravens
Steelers
Bengals
Browns
(Bell is going to be a HUGE distraction.)

AFC South
Texans
Titans
Jaguars
Colts
(JJ comeback player of the year.)

AFC West
Raiders
Chargers
Broncos
Chiefs
(Dumping Dorsey was NOT the right move.)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
NFC East

Giants - It is hard for me to pick the Giants here because they are a team I don't really trust with a QB that generally every season goes through a slump of incredibly stupid play. The coaches seem to have to pull Eli's head out of his rear end at least once or twice a season. Not to mention the ignorance of a guy like Odell who is bound to add to the stupidity. So, why am I picking the Giants to win this division? Well, because I doubt the Eagles are ready to challenge, the Redskins don't look like a powerhouse, and I don't feel the Cowboys will repeat their magical season of 13-3 last year. So, by default I will go with the G-men to probably barely skim their way to a division title. Yes, they will play stupid again this year. Yes, they will lose games they should win. But in July...well...I am taking the Giants.

Redskins - I think Cousins will play his rear end off this season and provide a boost to this team. Will it be enough to challenge the Giants for the division crown? Probably, this is a division where it often looks like nobody wants to win it. I'll look for the Redskins to maybe have the best QB play in this division and this to keep them in the hunt.

Eagles - They look like a team that is improving but I still expect them to struggle to keep pace with the teams in their division. Wentz I think will eventually be the best QB in the NFC East...just probably not this season.

Cowboys - Yes, I am picking last years Cinderella 13-3 Cowboys to finish last. Why? Well, as John Lennon sang "Instant karma's gonna get you!" and Zeke Elliott is a total scumbag as a human being. Jerry Jones is a nut. Johnny Manziel still could end up a back-up QB on this team. And I think Prescott, now that the league has a full book on him, will suffer an epic sophomore slump. So, Cowboys fans will be shouting to bring Romo back by mid-season. The Cowboys played a simple and conservative brand of football last season that other teams will be all over this season. So, I just don't expect the Cowboys to be able to win that way again this season. Elliott goes down with an injury and the Cowboys limp toward 7-9.

NFC North

Packers - I don't think anybody realizes yet how big of a pick-up the Black Unicorn was for the Pack. Bennett was awesome last year with the Patriots as an all around player (blocking, catching, being a factor on most plays even without the ball in his hands)...Rodgers is going to love playing with this guy. Also he picked up the Patriots offense quickly, this is a smart football player and the big missing ingredient for the Packer offense, to me, has been a TE like Bennett. This is an amazing fit for the Packers and I believe they will utilize him more than the Patriots did. Rodgers will look his way a lot plus Bennett will help blocking and improve the running game. Yes, the Packers have issues and the Black Unicorn can't solve them all but...I think you will see a better Packer offense right from the start of the season this year because of Bennett. The Packer playbook just got a lot more interesting.

Lions - The Lions had the division title in their hands but then Stafford injured his hand and they closed the season on a three game losing streak while Rodgers and the Pack (who did not look very good before this) went on a crazy 6 game winning streak. Stafford actually got better losing Calvin Johnson...who now is supposedly considering a comeback with the Lions. I think the Lions and Packers will fight it out for the division title but I think the rest of the division needs to be very worried about Rodgers running an offense with a real TE this season.

Vikings - If Sam Bradford is ever going to give his best effort it should be this season. He is on bonus time with Bridgewater likely to miss most of the season. So, Bradford is playing now for his next chance to start...either with the Vikings or somewhere else. I think the Lions and Packers will control this division and so the Vikings come in third.

Bears - Well, Cutler is finally gone. Mitch Trubisky is the new hope in the Windy City. The Bears are in a transition period and everybody in their division is better than they are. Last place see you next year.

NFC South

Buccaneers - Yes, I would have liked to put the Falcons here but I think there are issues there I will get to below. The Buccaneers are my "surprise" team this year and with the way that worked out last year for the Jaguars my guess is they would rather not be. However, they showed a lot of improvement last season. They are well coached and on paper anyway, their roster looks improved. So, I am going with the Buccs to surprise everybody and steal this division.

Saints - OK, the Saints are not very good and they now are transitioning to a team that runs more. Adrian Peterson has joined the team to split time with Mark Ingram and probably Alvin Kamara. This will be weird but the Saints look stacked at the running back position. Brees is not going to have to carry this team. I think the "new look" Saints could sneak into the playoffs with this team as the running game may help a lot with the fact that they don't have much of a defense.

Falcons - So, according to Matt Ryan the offensive system he played in last season was his favorite since he has been a pro. He loved it and he loved Shanahan...problem is Shanahan is now coaching the 49ers and the new OC Steve Sarkisian is rated as one of the great a-holes in football. Not likely he keeps Shanahan's system in place. I think this leads to a lot of trouble and Ryan and his teammates likely lobbying to just keep Shanahan's system exactly as it was...it did after all get them to a Super Bowl and win Matt Ryan the MVP award. However, this is not likely something Sarkisian will tolerate...so I see trouble on the horizon in Atlanta.

Panthers - Superman? Ah, no. Not sure if the Panthers have discovered a way to protect their QB this season. Newton is a very temperamental player that tends to perform poorly when things are not going his way. I don't expect them to go his way again in 2017. Their defense is not what it was, too much attention on Newton...this team will have some struggles. They seem not to deal well with struggle.

NFC West

Seahawks - The Seahawks look better on paper right now than they did last season. Lacy could be a big help if he avoids the cookies and ice cream. Pete Carroll wants to run the ball and he is setting up the team to do that. What really works in their favor is it does not look like the Hawks will get much of a challenge in their division this year depending on what the Cardinals can pull off. Mostly though to me Seattle looks a lot better than the rest of their division so I kind of think they run away with it. I think the team puts aside all their bickering and goes to the Conference Championship game and is a good bet to be in the Super Bowl.

Cardinals - Bruce Arians has some coaching to do. The Cardinals, rated as one of the most talent loaded teams to start 2016, were a major disappointment. Carson Palmer looks like his skills are in rapid decline. If he plays poorly this team could really struggle. Not to worry though, Bruce, if you really tank this season and get fired there is a guy in Indy that desperately wants to hire you. I don't see the Cardinals keeping pace with a very motivated Seahawks team.

Rams - New coach. New start. Coach says his primary goal is to get his young QB going. This is going to be an uphill climb. Transition year.

49ers - Well, they have really become one of the worst teams and worst run organizations in the league. Shanahan gets to take over. He has no QB. This is going to be a difficult year. Rebuilding indefinitely.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Well, I agree with most of what you said around the NFC, being a Seahawks fan helps. I ignore the AFC for the most part because until Belichick retires there is no point in worrying about that division. Although I may secretly root for the Raiders only because of one player. I could never put the Giants on top but I think that could be one of the most competitive divisions in football this year.

Go Hawks!!

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
NFC East

Redskins
Eagles

Giants
Cowboys

(Kurt is going to have a great year. All that talent is good enought for second. And between suspensions and injuries, Zeke won't crack 1k.)

NFC North
Packers
Bears
Lions
Vikings
Bears

(14-2. At least. And Glennon is going to make their trade up for Mitch look even worse.)

NFC South
Buccaneers
Saints
Falcons
Panthers

(Peterson = Divisive. Sarkisian = Horrible choice. Cam??? = Dab this. Bucs by default.)

NFC West
Seahawks
Cardinals
Rams
59ers
(Nothing to say here, really, except, I'd rank them 5th if I could.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Bears to finish 2nd in the NFC North, John?: Whatcha been drinking? ;) I think Da Bears will be one of the worst teams in the league.

It's early, but here are some of my thoughts:

AFC Division Winners:
Patriots -- Still the team to beat. They won last year, and look even better this season.
Steelers -- If Bell can stay healthy and Bryant can stay out of trouble, this offense could be special. They still cannot figure out how to beat the Pats, though.
Texans -- The rest of the division sucks, and they may finally have a QB (albeit a rookie)
Raiders -- Carr's injury in the post season was a downer for this team, but they should be back this season

NFC Division Winners:
Redskins -- I'll jump on the Cowboys falling down some, since I hate Dallas
Packers -- The rest of the division sucks. The Lions record is completely dependent on how tough their schedule is, as they are unable to beat good teams (1 win vs. a team that made the playoffs in the last 3 seasons)
Seahawks -- The Cardinals are heading the the wrong direction, while the Niners and Rams suck
Panthers -- added some weapons for Cam

Super Bowl:
Pats repeat over Packers. Brady gets suspended after the game by Goodell because it's just not fair they keep winning - he must have cheated

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I agree with most of what you said around the NFC, being a Seahawks fan helps. I ignore the AFC for the most part because until Belichick retires there is no point in worrying about that division. Although I may secretly root for the Raiders only because of one player. I could never put the Giants on top but I think that could be one of the most competitive divisions in football this year.

I think fans of the Seahawks should feel pretty good coming into this season. Seattle seems to have improved (on paper) while the rest of their division looks a bit worse. Then when you look around the NFC who will challenge the Seahawks to go to the Super Bowl? The Giants don't look like they will. The Cowboys I don't think can. The Redskins are not as good as the Seahawks. The Packers might depending on how they play this season but their defense looks pretty questionable. The Lions...probably not. The Buccaneers are sort of a mystery so they could be surprising and I don't think the Falcons can.

So, the Seahawks have to at least start the season being the NFC favorite to get to the Super Bowl. That's how it looks in July anyway. They still have to play the games, hope to stay healthy, but on paper...I would say the Seahawks look like they will be tough and probably the most complete team in the conference.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I think fans of the Seahawks should feel pretty good coming into this season. Seattle seems to have improved (on paper) while the rest of their division looks a bit worse. Then when you look around the NFC who will challenge the Seahawks to go to the Super Bowl? The Giants don't look like they will. The Cowboys I don't think can. The Redskins are not as good as the Seahawks. The Packers might depending on how they play this season but their defense looks pretty questionable. The Lions...probably not. The Buccaneers are sort of a mystery so they could be surprising and I don't think the Falcons can.

So, the Seahawks have to at least start the season being the NFC favorite to get to the Super Bowl. That's how it looks in July anyway. They still have to play the games, hope to stay healthy, but on paper...I would say the Seahawks look like they will be tough and probably the most complete team in the conference.

Green Bay is going to have their best Defense in years.

Last year their top DB suffered a career ending concussion in the first game, and their next 2 DBs played with groin injuries, one going under the knife during the season. Their 1st 2 picks this year were DBs and they brought back another one that they let go in free agency a couple years ago. Their pass D will be improved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks