• Bears

Votes: 10 90.9%

• Total voters

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I guess now is as good a time as any to start a new thread for this year. As a conversation starter, which team do you think had the worst draft last month?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I was only disappointed that Seattle didn't get another OL man or two. However, we got a few more in-drafted guys as well as a couple QBs. So I'm good overall. See if we can get past the division round this year. :)

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
As a Houston resident, I was really glad the Bears screwed up like we usually do. This year, I actually liked the Texans' draft picks.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I am going to put my team loyalty up for sale. If worked for the team who shall not be named, didn't it? I can be bought cheap. Any team is eligible except the Raiders and the Cowboys. What am I bid?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'll offer you one really good chance of being happy at the end of the Super Bowl if you want to join Patriots Nation. :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am going to put my team loyalty up for sale. If worked for the team who shall not be named, didn't it? I can be bought cheap. Any team is eligible except the Raiders and the Cowboys. What am I bid?

I'll offer you another half-century of disappointment if you become a Lions fan. :wacko:

I paid less attention to the draft this year than I can ever remember. Once the NFL decided to string out the draft over three days, it became torture to watch -- too much air time with too little going on. I did not turn on coverage once during draft weekend, and only glanced through the picks online quickly the following mornings, About all I can remember is the Bears overpaid for a marginal first round QB, Houston traded up for the Clemson QB, and the Steelers took a linebacker in the first round (which they seem to do a lot). I seem to recall Pittsburgh taking a WR in either the 2nd or 3rd round, too, which they need. I couldn't name one pick of the Lions without looking it up.

I never did see where Jourdan Lewis from Michigan ended up being taken. I know he was falling in the draft due to off field issues.

I did see that Jay Cutler is supposedly retiring and going into broadcasting. I'm not sure I want to see that surly puss on TV

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'll offer you one really good chance of being happy at the end of the Super Bowl if you want to join Patriots Nation. :D
Tempting offer. I've been an admirer of the Patriot way. No matter what happens they keep winning and have a shot every year to get to the big game.

I'll offer you another half-century of disappointment if you become a Lions fan. :wacko:

Voluntarily choosing to root for the Lions is a sign of mental incompetence. I get being a native of Detroit and they're your team. I don't have whips and chains in my closet. Choosing the Lions, thank you, but no thank you. :)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I guess now is as good a time as any to start a new thread for this year. As a conversation starter, which team do you think had the worst draft last month?

I think the Bears draft was pretty odd particularly the utterly bizarre move to trade up one spot to land Mitch Trubisky. I mean they had Glennon who they appear to like and claim is their starter and then they trade up for no reason because nobody else was going to trade into the two spot to take Trubisky.

That seems like a team really desperate for a QB and now Glennon will play looking over his shoulder and fans will be calling for Mitch the second Glennon makes a mistake or has a bad moment. Well done Bears.

Pretty much all the QBs in this draft are project QBs and none are a lock to ever be a good starter. It will depend on how they are developed. This was a horrible draft if you were looking for an NFL caliber starting QB. The team that I thought did the best drafting a QB was the Giants taking Davis Webb in the third round. That made sense. He can sit two to three years behind Eli. They have a decent chance to develop him into something.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the Bears draft was pretty odd particularly the utterly bizarre move to trade up one spot to land Mitch Trubisky. I mean they had Glennon who they appear to like and claim is their starter and then they trade up for no reason because nobody else was going to trade into the two spot to take Trubisky.

That seems like a team really desperate for a QB and now Glennon will play looking over his shoulder and fans will be calling for Mitch the second Glennon makes a mistake or has a bad moment. Well done Bears.

Pretty much all the QBs in this draft are project QBs and none are a lock to ever be a good starter. It will depend on how they are developed. This was a horrible draft if you were looking for an NFL caliber starting QB. The team that I thought did the best drafting a QB was the Giants taking Davis Webb in the third round. That made sense. He can sit two to three years behind Eli. They have a decent chance to develop him into something.

The Bears haven't had a good QB in decades, so I can somewhat understand their desperation. However, paying a high price to trade up one spot and then take a QB who's only started in college one season is bizarre even for Chicago.

This QB draft class seemed to be one where waiting to grab a QB made sense -- just like Dallas did last year when they waited and took Prescott. As you said, all the QB's in this class are a total crapshoot anyway. Cleveland and the Giants took this more sensible approach instead of overpaying for questionable talent. The Steelers grabbed a QB in the fourth round, too, who hopefully can become a better backup to Big Ben than the crap they've rolled out there when he's been hurt the past few seasons.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
How about a history that includes 13 NFL championships, including 3 in a row, TWICE, 24 NFL current Hall of Famers (and at least one playing now), and an on-going streak of 8 playoff seasons.
And guaranteed, there is a Packer Bar near you !
Try here: Arkansas - Last Chance Lakeside Cafe

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
How about a history that includes 13 NFL championships, including 3 in a row, TWICE, 24 NFL current Hall of Famers (and at least one playing now), and an on-going streak of 8 playoff seasons.

If fan bars are a criteria, then Pittsburgh should be in play, too. There are Steeler bars everywhere. Being a lifelong Steelers fan (my mother and her family are from western PA) is what allowed me to survive having the hapless Lions and their incompetent ownership being my hometown team for my entire life.

If I didn't have the Steelers, though, I could see being a Packers fan. It's not just their history that's appealing. It's also Green Bay being such a relatively small market, and the town also being the franchise owners. It's a unique story in major pro sports in this country.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
In the sports bars around here, there are even more Steelers fans than Packers fans. Poor attempt at humor by Mike Tomlin today, though. :)

In other news, Bill Polian is still a moronic douchebag.

I do not see where Polian said anything controversial in that article. He said:

“Tom Brady was a quarter away from losing the Super Bowl last year pretty decisively,” Polian said. “They are a great team. They are not as great as people think they are. They’re not invincible. What they are is exceptionally well-constructed and exceptionally well-coached. But, Tom Brady isn’t going to play forever. He showed some signs of being human last year on a number of occasions, including in the Super Bowl.”

Is there anything is that quote which isn't true? No team is invincible, and he acknowledged Belichick's coaching ability. Brady did look human in the first half of that Super Bowl until the Falcons began choking and then he and the Pats took over.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
No, no, Aaron, you mis-understand me. These are not "Sport bars" I speak of. These are PACKER BARS.
Go to the bars on the link I provided. While I haven't been to all the bars, the ones that I have been to (Vegas, The City, Honolulu, Houston, off the top of my head(Although Houston was between teams.)) have been full fledged, decked out in Green and Gold, PACKER BARS.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I went to a Seahawks bar in El Paso and Phoenix (I was there for the Super Bowl) that where full Seahawks gear, color scheme the works. I have been to the Green Bay Packer one in Seattle my one friend is a Packer guy.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

If fan bars are a criteria, then Pittsburgh should be in play, too. There are Steeler bars everywhere. Being a lifelong Steelers fan (my mother and her family are from western PA) is what allowed me to survive having the hapless Lions and their incompetent ownership being my hometown team for my entire life.

If I didn't have the Steelers, though, I could see being a Packers fan. It's not just their history that's appealing. It's also Green Bay being such a relatively small market, and the town also being the franchise owners. It's a unique story in major pro sports in this country.

The Packers and the Steelers are both tempting choices. The Steelers have an advantage of being in the AFC. The Packers sure have a legacy. However, sports bars have never been my thing.

I'm taking all these suggestions under advisement.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks