What's new

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think Garth Snow tops Gillis in Vancouver for worst asset management. His two trades this season involving Moulson and Vanek effectively resulted in the Islanders trading Moulson and a first round draft pick for Sebastian Colberg, who is a mid-level prospect currently struggling in the Swedish Elite League.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Hey, Aaron, I see that Florida has recalled Vince Trocheck from the AHL, and he may be making his NHL debut on Friday night. Trocheck played for the Plymouth Whalers (my hometown OHL team) last season. He was a fun player to watch here. Not only did he have excellent offensive skills, but he also did the little things you like to see -- fine back checking, going into the corners and behind the net, killed penalties, etc. He is a little on the small side -- if he was bigger, he would have been a first round draft pick instead of a 3rd rounder. Plymouth acquired him at the trade deadline last season for their run at a title (which came up short), and he ended up leading the Ontario Hockey League in scoring and was named league Most Outstanding Player.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Cool, I'll keep an eye on him. Unfortunately I doubt I'll make it to any games this season since my job is moving overseas (without me). :(

Panthers ownership seems to be making the right kinds of moves. It's nice to see.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, Scott.

Cam not winning a Cup is one of the great regrets of my sports-fan life. At least he got to be in Dumb & Dumber! :)

Remember when people would argue about whether Joe Juneau or Teemu Selanne should be Rookie of the Year?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Aaron,I must have missed the post where you mentioned your job. Best wishes getting one you enjoy really quickly. :)The GMs met recently and a few items are interesting. I really wish that we could go back to the days of regular-season games ending in ties. It won't happen, but I sure would love to see it.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10584148/nhl-gms-debate-ot-rules-goalie-interference-video-replay
Anything is better than the current system of rewarding a team for losing a game. Either let the games end in a tie, or make the overtime and shootout really count and just count wins and losses.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,

Yeah, he had an arrhythmia that was treated about a year ago. Some heart arrhythmias are harmless, while others are obviously not. At least he is doing better now.

By the way, anything of note happening for you tomorrow night around 7:30 p.m. on NBCSN? ;)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Aaron Silverman said:
Cam not winning a Cup is one of the great regrets of my sports-fan life. At least he got to be in Dumb & Dumber! :)
I actually remember Cam Neely playing in the NHL, and not just as the guy who spits into Harry's burger. Plus he was in an episode of "Rescue Me", where he played hockey for the NYFD, and even getting into a fight there, in front of figure skater children. It was just hilarious to watch. :D

Ockeghem said:
I really wish that we could go back to the days of regular-season games ending in ties. It won't happen, but I sure would love to see it.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/10584148/nhl-gms-debate-ot-rules-goalie-interference-video-replay
I can remember ties being a good or bad thing, depending on the circumstances. A good thing if a team had to come back from a deficit or if against a very good team on the road. Or a bad thing, if against a bad team and/or blowing a huge lead, and sometimes, feeling like a loss.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Walter,I think three-point losses (like in OT or a shootout) are making it difficult for some teams to obtain separation. I'm sure the league loves the parity, but I'm not as much in favor of it.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Thanks, other Scott! Fingers crossed. . .

I just read about the Peverly issue. . .I couldn't help but think of Reggie Lewis. Thank god Pev's OK, but I think it might be time for him to hang up the skates. :(

Regulation wins should award 3 points. Problem solved.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

By the way, anything of note happening for you tomorrow night around 7:30 p.m. on NBCSN? ;)
The Habs - Bruins game is on tomorrow night? Excellent! I had not checked the TV schedule yet to see if NBCSports would be picking up the game. Hopefully Carey Price will be back in net -- Budaj had a couple of rough outings on their west coast trip.
Ockeghem said:
Walter,I think three-point losses (like in OT or a shootout) are making it difficult for some teams to obtain separation. I'm sure the league loves the parity, but I'm not as much in favor of it.
I've made my opinion well know on this issue -- I hate the current system of making some games worth 2 points and others three points, and rewarding a team for losing a game. As you said, it also bunches up the standings and makes team records look better than they truly are. I even had a co-worker try and tell me the Wings were playing above .500 hockey earlier this season when they were not. People tend to just look at the wins and losses in the standings, and ignore all those overtime losses. He even tried to argue they were not losses. My response was "what does the 'L' in 'OTL' stand for?". :rolleyes:

I could even live with Aaron's suggesting of making every game worth 3 points over the current system, as it at least rewards a team more for winning in regulation and would help with the bunched up standings. I would still prefer not to reward a team at all for losing, though. Baseball, football and basketball do not reward the losing team just because they forced a game into overtime or extra innings. This is professional sports, not grade school, so there shouldn't be a consolation prize for almost winning. If the NHL is going to use the shootout to determine a winner, make it really determine the winner or get rid of it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We had some very sad and tragic news yesterday regarding a local hockey player. The Saginaw Spirit team was playing my hometown Whalers team in Plymouth on Sunday -- the day the news story broke on Terry Trafford's disappearance. There are a group of very nice Saginaw fans who always sit right in front of us whenever the Spirit visit, and we discussed Terry's disappearance with them at great length on Sunday. We all hoped for a happy ending with him being found safe, but unfortunately everyone's worst fears came true.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,

Sorry to hear of this. And we had Ryan Fischer (co-captain of his High School hockey team) pass away last Friday. He was seventeen years old. :(

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20140307/SPORTS/303070036/ryan-fischer-grandville-hockey-dies-sleep
Scott, I do remember hearing of that. I believe his high school team was playing in the state championships at Compuware Arena (home of the Plymouth Whalers) just last weekend when this happened. Very sad news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks