What's new

2013 - 2014 NHL Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Blues have acquired Ryan Miller and Steve Ott from Buffalo for Halak, Chris Stewart, a prospect, and a couple of draft picks. This trade makes St. Louis a dangerous team in the West come playoff time. Halak can be brilliant at times, but he is very inconsistent. Miller gives them a much steadier, high-end goaltender. With the way the Blues play defense, it's going to be tough for opponents to score on them come playoff time.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,Yeah, I heard about this news this morning. Ryan Miller seemed quite excited for a new opportunity. And you're right about the Blues. For the past two or three years, I've wondered if it was finally going to be 'their year.' Oh, the wonderful memories for me in 1970, especially about 0:40 seconds into overtime. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The NHL is having their first ever "indoor" outdoor hockey game. The Vancouver - Ottawa game is being played with a closed retractable roof due to weather -- seems contradictory to the spirit of an outdoor game. With 6 outdoor games this season, I think the outdoor game has officially jumped the shark.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
For a period, that looked like it would be yet another lackluster effort by the Bruins. I wonder if maybe Tuukka knocked some heads in the locker room during the first intermission. . . :)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Scott Merryfield said:
The NHL is having their first ever "indoor" outdoor hockey game. The Vancouver - Ottawa game is being played with a closed retractable roof due to weather -- seems contradictory to the spirit of an outdoor game. With 6 outdoor games this season, I think the outdoor game has officially jumped the shark.
That has to be really disappointing, and if I was one of those fans, I would want my money back.I had forgotten that there were other outdoor games until this weekend, which I agree, is too many. The NHL should have only 3 at the most, the one being on New Year's Day, the second being whenever to a team that has no shot of hosting on New Year's, and the third being the Heritage Classic, which happens every 3 years.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Walter C said:
That has to be really disappointing, and if I was one of those fans, I would want my money back.I had forgotten that there were other outdoor games until this weekend, which I agree, is too many. The NHL should have only 3 at the most, the one being on New Year's Day, the second being whenever to a team that has no shot of hosting on New Year's, and the third being the Heritage Classic, which happens every 3 years.
It really became just another game indoors, only this time in a much bigger "arena" with lots of faraway, bad, overpriced seats. If I was a fan attending the game, I would have been very disappointed.

After attending the outdoor OHL doubleheader at Comerica Park this holiday that was part of the New Year's Day Winter Classic, I do not care if I ever attend another outdoor game. It was a nice novelty, and all the added exhibits at the stadium for the fans was fun, but watching the game from that far away was difficult. Luckily it was also being shown on the large scoreboard, along with replays. The freezing temperatures and sleet/snow that fell during the first game made things pretty uncomfortable. I dressed for the temps, but by the end of the 2nd game (around 10pm) my feet were freezing, despite two pair of insulated socks and hand warmers stuffed in my boots. I am glad I went to experience it once, though.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The Bruins visit the Panthers this weekend. Too bad I can't make it -- it's Tim Thomas Bobblehead day!

The game will probably sell out. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Aaron Silverman said:
And. . .Thomas' tires are ready for pumping by his new backup. . .Roberto Luongo! :lol:
The Canucks are sure a mess. First, they piss Luongo off last year by starting Schneider. Then they trade Schneider. Then they piss Luongo off again by starting a rookie. Now they send him to Florida in an obvious salary dump. Meanwhile, Ryan Kesler wants out and new coach Tortorelli is already wearing out his welcome with the players. The fans in Vancouver cannot be happy.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,I watched a lot of the Habs - Kings game last night. When it was 2-1 Kings about half way through the second period, I figured we'd see two or three more goals. That defense of the Kings looked really good. They've now won five in a row.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ockeghem said:
Scott,I watched a lot of the Habs - Kings game last night. When it was 2-1 Kings about half way through the second period, I figured we'd see two or three more goals. That defense of the Kings looked really good. They've now won five in a row.
That game was on too late for me. It sounded like another struggle for the Habs offense, though. The Kings do play excellent defense, though, and Quick is a heck of a goalie. The Western conference is going to be a whale of a fight this playoff year. There are some really good teams out west.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Just to put the Canucks debacle in proper perspective, over the last year they have traded their two starting caliber goalies -- Schneider and Luongo -- for a 1st round pick (Bo Horvat), an AHL goalie (Markstrom) and an average prospect (Matthias). If I was the GM of another team, I would be on the phone with Vancouver trying to get Kesler. Apparently they just give good players away there.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Scott,The Canadiens got Weaver (a good shot-blocker) yesterday. I've been looking for information on it but haven't found any yet. I heard about it last night as the NHL Network was going over trades / transactions team-by-team.LOL. When a chart was shown for some current statistic, I saw the name of Cam Ward. I thought it said Cam Neely -- I almost fell out of my chair. The NHL Network also showed the game-winner by Stephen Gionta for the Devils (over the Red Wings) with about thirty-seven seconds to go last night. Good stuff!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott,The Habs gave up a 5th round pick for Weaver, so they give up very little for some defensive depth. There are also rumors that Montreal may deal either Gorges or Murray, so Weaver could be a replacement for one of them. We will know once the deadline has passed.Montreal also acquired some insurance in goal, getting Dubynk for "future considerations", which means they gave up nothing. Their AHL goalie has been backing up Budaj with Price out, so this just is backup goaltender insurance. Nashville and Edmonton are paying most of Dubnyk's salary.Tampa got quite a haul for Martin St. Louis, obtaining Ryan Callahan as a rental (he's a free agent this summer), plus a 1st round pick in the coveted 2015 draft and a 2nd rounder. Not sure if the Lightening are interested in resigning Callahan -- he was asking for more than the Rangers were willing to spend, and they always seem willing to overspend.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Chad Johnson looked much better against the Cats last night than he did against Buffalo. At 5-0-1 over his last 6 starts, the good seems to be outweighing the bad.The WEEI yappers are talking like the Bruins should just give up on the season if they don't add a defenseman today. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Aaron,I loved listening to WEEI when I lived in Massachusetts. The Bruins are playing pretty well, and are only three points from the number one seed in the East!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Habs just stole Vanek from the Islanders for a mid-level prospect (Sebestian Colberg) who has shown very little so far and a conditional 2nd round draft pick. This fills a huge need on offense for the Canadiens. Hopefully they can resign Vanek, who is a free agent this summer.Florida traded Tim Thomas to Dallas. So much for Luongo being his backup.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks