What's new

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles) (1 Viewer)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
This is just disgusting. I am no card carrying PETA member, but come on, this is just ridiculous. Animal cruelty of this type has no place in our society, and I just feel horrible for the dogs. I really do hope they throw the book at all those involved, including Vick.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
A little more from the article Chris quoted:
This is disgusting. If, and I say if, Vick was involved, he should never play in the NFL again. BTW, just what is a "rape stand"? This is apparently a device for breeding fighting dogs and I think it is likely a phrase exclusive to the dog fighting industry. If so, if gives you an insight to their mentality.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
BTW, just so it can be clarified:

A Rape Stand is a stand that forces a female dog into a position where her front legs and head are tied to a bar and her rear legs are forcibly held apart. Because the dogs are difficult to manage, this "rape stand" forces the dogs to "hold the position" so they can be bred with another dog without a fight erupting between the two.

:frowning:

The whole thing is just sick, and the more that comes out, the worse it gets..

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
The fact that people like Clinton Portis and Chris Samuels come forth to defend felonious acts like dog fighting just reinforces the fact that at least 90% of the players in the NFL are as dumb as a box of rocks. :thumbsdown:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Is this used by breeders of dogs for other than fighting? I.E. do breeders of purebreds use it? If so so, do they also call it a "rape stand."

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
If nothing else, this is why Vick is in real trouble, more than the media has even predicted. The details WILL come out, and it's going to disgust A LOT of regular people, regular fans. One advantage to Vick's profile is he gets some extra attention (good for marketing) and some cushion for behavior. the bad is every detail relating to this will be fed to the media.

And these are sickening details. Portis and Samuels stepped into a viper's nest through their ignorance...but they didn't commit crimes, so they'll just turn off fans (already have, my wife is furious [Redskins fan]). Vick might really has a shot at losing his profession. I don't think it'll come to that, but the Humane Society isn't a group of zealots like PETA. They have a lot of power and a lot of influence, and this is a great chance to get some publicity for a despicable practice. Vick puts a face to it, and they'll gladly throw him to the wolves.

Is the PA or new commish going to defend that?

Chris

Senior HTF Member

No. I have a family member who is an AKC breeder and one who is a vet. Rape stands are not used for any animal other then fighting animals. Pure breds are handled naturally or artificially (think turkey baster) if there is an issue.

The "Rape Stand" is designed to make sure that the breeding animals stay "mean" and so trapping them down by tying up their front legs and jaw is supposed to help make the male dog feel even more agressive and dogs who've been bred in this way are viewed as more likely to fight.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what Falcon fans are thinking.

As far as the Dallas Superbowl, Any bets on if they can actually fulfill what they said "100,000 people to watch the Superbowl in person"?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

If the new stadium can hold that many people (and it sounds like it can), then there will be that many people there. A Super Bowl could sellout a 150,000 seat stadium.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the answer. I'm glad this is not a practice of the "normal" breeders of dogs. The name they give the device gives an insight into their mentality. Disgusting.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

In terms of what they might say, I'd say the chances of hearing something stupid are probably the same. However, Michael Irvin always sounded like he was yelling at you, even when he was talking normally...and God help your ears when he did actually start yelling. Keyshawn's voice itself is a little quieter and that has to count for something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks