1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2007 NFL Off-Season Discussion Thread (Including Vick's troubles)

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Merryfield, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Well, it looks like it is Detroit's turn for some bad behavior. Today's contestant is Shaun Rogers

There are jokes that could be made rather easily here but I, never being one to make a joke in this type of situation, will stay above the fray.

Oh who am I kidding?

Rogers defense was "All I did was go back there and ask them if they wanted to touch my gun. What's the harm in that?"

Pac-man Jones said: "Hey, at least I was high-class, I mean Rogers didn't throw any money in the air."

I can't confirm whether or not Mike Vick offered to take care of Shaun Rogers dog should he end up having to go to prison.

Mike Brown told Marvin Lewis: "Do you think Matt Millen would trade him? He's got hustle."

Brett Favre said: "If he cuts in to my media time, I'll ask to be traded again. Or maybe I'll threaten to retire."

Ok, I think I've worked those out of my system.

2. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

This is not what the Lions needed. Their best defensive player getting into trouble, and could be very serious trouble would really hurt them up front. Typical that the Lions find a way to shoot themselves in the foot before the season even starts. I have a early pre-season prediction: Fire Millen. Thats how good the season will be...

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Maybe the Lions could get a first round draft pick if they traded Rogers to the Bengals. His stock just went up in Cincy.

4. Casey Trowbridg

Now we know why Johnnie Morton didn't wish to submit to his post-fight drug test. His pre-fight sample was tested for steroids and other drugs and he failed in a big-time way You don't see failures like that every day regardless of the sport.

Wow, that kind of failure would stun even Bill Romanowski.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Looks like Pacman decided to not appeal his suspension. I guess his lawyers talked some sense into him.

6. Casey Trowbridg

7. Scott Merryfield

I guessed wrong. I thought it was going to be the latest Pacman Jones saga. Will this guy ever learn? He needs to separate himself from the thugs he's running around with. I cannot imagine him staying out of trouble for an entire year during his suspension.

8. Casey Trowbridg

9. Scott Merryfield

Arrington sure has had a hard-luck career. He's been injured more than he's been healthy. Since he's a free agent, this accident may end what little chance he had of making another comeback.

10. Scott Merryfield

Warrant issued for Pacman Jones. The legal fallout of this Vegas incident may keep Pacman occupied enough during his suspension to keep him from getting into further incidents. However, the end result may very well be some serious prison time.

11. Scott Merryfield

12. Casey Trowbridg

Scott, when I saw that headline, I knew I need only come to this thread and there would be a comment from you and as usual...you made it worth my time.

My ideas didn't involve substances. Perhaps John Kitna knew that the NFL was going to pull an MLB and institute a 162 game schedule?

Maybe the NFL tipped him off that they were going to start counting offense vs. Defense scrimmages during training camp in the win totals this year?

Maybe it was John Kitna and not Johnnie Morton that got KO'ed a few weeks ago?

13. Scott Merryfield

Good stuff, Casey. [​IMG]

14. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Tank is a complete idiot.

The Bears come out looking great in this...they gave him more chances than he deserved, and now he makes their decision easy by getting caught in a DUI at 3:30 am.

16. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The thing is, what do you want Kitna to say? We suck, not going to win but 5 or 6 games this year, lets just hope for the best!?? I just think that since he is the leader of the team, he is trying to put some pressure on his team to step it up and play better than before. Kitna isn't the end all be all of qb's, but statistically he was better than many qb's that are talked about much more such as Eli Manning. I'm thinking they will be in the 7-9 area this year, and that would be a good step up.

17. Scott Merryfield

How about not making any prediction on wins? Simply say he thinks the team will be much improved and contend for a playoff spot (even though they won't).

Personally, I do not see this team winning more than 6 games. That's the most they've won in any season during Millen's 7 years. The team did virtually nothing in the offseason to address weaknesses in the offensive line, linebacker group and defensive secondary. Their only addition to the defensive line is a project player. Three of the four draft picks they selected in the first two rounds will not be starting. They traded away their only legitimate starting CB (Bly). Looking at their schedule, I cannot see any more than 6 wins. Even though I hate going through game-by-game, here's my breakdown:

at Oakland -- possible win, but it's a road game
    Minnesota -- possible win
    at Philly -- loss
    Chicago -- loss
    at Washington -- loss (the Lions have never won in D.C.)
    Tampa -- possible win
    at Chicago -- loss
    Denver -- loss
    at Arizona -- possible win, but it's a road game and the Cards are improved
    NY Giants -- possible win -- it's home, and the Giants will struggle this year
    Green Bay -- possible win
    at Minnesota -- loss (Lions were 0-4 in division road games last year)
    Dallas -- loss
    at San Diego -- loss
    K.C. -- possible win, because it's at home
    at Green Bay -- loss (the Lions have never beaten Favre in G.B.)

That's only 7 games that they have a decent chance of winning, and they will not win them all -- you cannot expect a team like the Lions to win all those potential games. Even if they pull an upset in one or two of those listed as losses above, they'll also lose at least 2-3 that I have listed as a possible win.

18. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

The games I disagree with you about Scott are Chicago at home, that is a good chance for a win, this will not be the same bears team this year and home against Dallas. They went into Dallas and handled them pretty well. Their offense is going to keep them in most games.

Kitna was asked a direct question, and he is a very honest interview. He was asked how many games will you win this year. He answered the question with what he honestly believes. I have no problem with that. Ask Shaun Rogers the same question and he will reply with "When does the strip club open". Just my my humble opinion.

19. Casey Trowbridg

Scott, this is what you wrote...

I have an interest in this game for reasons other than being a Raiders fan. This has me wondering if football might not be set back a few decades.

I mean, you've got a potentially explosive (though not sure about the running game) Detroit offense, against a pretty stout Oakland Defense.

But then you also have...
    An Oakland offense that needs to improve just to be classified as horrific (but I think they will improve this year due to the loss of the 7 step drop and a shift in blocking schemes, but basically...I'd hate to think they could actually be worse I wouldn't want to see something worse than last year, can't even imagine it) against a Lions defense where there are more questions than answers.

When I see that half of the game, I think blooper tape.

But Brandon, I have to agree with Scott on this. Kitna may actually believe that the Lions can win more than 10 games and thus feel it is OK to be honest about it in interviews. This does not make it a smart move at all.
    You said that it is good for the QB to put pressure on the team but at a certain point the pressure becomes excessive. He's now set a lofty standard for a win total and what happens if the team starts out 0-3 on the season? Now you've got potential for people to start tossing others under the bus. It only takes one guy to say: "Hey, I never said we'd win more than 10 it was him" and you've got issues and even if they're minor issues all of a sudden you've got guys writing articles about team chemistry because to the media there is no such thing as a minor issue when a story needs to be written.

I appreciate what you're saying, but for me (and judging by Scott's comments him as well) the phrase cautiously optimistic was created for a reason.

20. Scott Merryfield

Yes, Casey, that Lions - Raiders game will probably not make the list of top 10 games of the year. [​IMG] The problem I have with going game by game is that when anyone else would do this for another team, whenever they see Detroit as an opponent that automatically gets counted as a possible win (as it should). I'm sure Arizona fans see that home game against Detroit and say "we should win that one".

My main cause for pessimism regarding Detroit's chances this season is their failure to improve their roster significantly this offseason. How a team with this many holes can spend 3 of their top 4 picks (all in the 1st/2nd rounds) on "projects" is beyond my comprehension. The only veterans they added were Tatum Bell, TJ Duckett and OT George Foster (who Denver no longer wanted). So, they addressed depth at running back due to the Kevin Jones injury, but little else. I do not see how anyone can expect a huge improvement over last season's 3-13 record based on this. I think my 6-10 prediction is being very generous.