What's new

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Just watched my 4K UHD Blu-ray version of 2001 and it looks incredible!

20190416_224912A.jpg

Paul Watters

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul Watters
Finally bought this yesterday. Watched it this morning. Great looking disc but it has that freezing issue around the 2 hour mark that some other members reported. Was a solution for this ever identified? Thanks.

Britton

Screenwriter
Finally bought this yesterday. Watched it this morning. Great looking disc but it has that freezing issue around the 2 hour mark that some other members reported. Was a solution for this ever identified? Thanks.
I hadn't heard of this being an issue that was widely reported, so there was never a fixed disc or solution. My disc played flawlessly on my Panasonic DP-UB820.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So my copy I bought on Prime Day 2 finally arrived. Up until now I don't think I've owned any movie on UHD save for maybe Alien that showed off the format to its fullest.

2001 is fricken stunning.

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
Watched it again last night and saw things I couldn't remember from before, which always makes a repeat viewing so pleasurable.
What would you guys think to a tweak removing the reflected light from the leopards eyes? (caused by the front projection) Would it be completely heretical?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
100% heretical IMO. Why would anyone want to do that? The eyeshine in that shot is part of what makes it so effective, and that's the way it was photographed. It's a part of the film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of seeing things that give away filming effects: In the Pan Am space clipper sequence as Dr. Floyd is asleep, the flight attendant grabs his floating pen, that pen is attached to a piece of glass. If you watch carefully, you can see faint smudge on the glass. It’s actually noticeable on the Blu ray. I would not fix that either. :)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Speaking of seeing things that give away filming effects: In the Pan Am space clipper sequence as Dr. Floyd is asleep, the flight attendant grabs his floating pen, that pen is attached to a piece of glass. If you watch carefully, you can see faint smudge on the glass. It’s actually noticeable on the Blu ray. I would not fix that either. :)
That and the front projection effects are far less noticeable on film prints, even in 70mm.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That reminds me, Josh. I have the Criterion laserdisc of 2001. I imagine those things are not noticeable on that disc too. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I remember those times! And the 2001 laserdisc was like an unattainable thing to me at the time. But I managed to get it. I might have to see if I can set up one of my laserdisc players to spin that disc on my OLED. Or maybe just let it be and enjoy the 4K disc. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yes, I remember those times! And the 2001 laserdisc was like an unattainable thing to me at the time. But I managed to get it. I might have to see if I can set up one of my laserdisc players to spin that disc on my OLED. Or maybe just let it be and enjoy the 4K disc. :)

As a hobbyist I do confess to finding it fun to occasionally sample older copies of things to be reminded of how they used to look when I first encountered them. The first VHS i saw of the movie was one of the earliest commercial tapes released and I love the packaging but everything about the transfer is just horrendous…but my memory of seeing it that way for the first time was so clear that it was fun to revisit the experience. That very old VHS tape looked almost like one of those vintage BBC nature documentaries which I think subconsciously had the effect of making the movie seem to my childhood mind like a documentary of a thing that actually happened instead of fiction.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I have a VHS copy too. Not sure if it’s an early one or not. What I’m struck by was watching Star Trek the first time on the VHS tapes, the colors were so bright!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a VHS copy too. Not sure if it’s an early one or not.

If you’re ever curious to know, post a picture and I can probably tell you. I have filled up way too much of my brain with useless trivia on this movie, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks