What's new

Kubrick’s “2001”, curated by Christopher Nolan (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
That's exactly why it has yet to be determined if the new 4K restoration is truly something to show off.

I chose seeing the 4K IMAX version last night over the 70mm in Silver Springs Maryland. It was a good choice. I had recently seen 2001 on the IMAX screen when Douglas Trumbull spoke. That version was not the 4K restored but the previous digital projected version. It looked good, but not great. This new 4K release was amazing!!! I was seeing details I had never seen before. This is the version we have all been hoping for. The Dawn of Man looked as good as I have ever seen it. They did a stellar job on getting it right and it really shows. I cannot praise the 4K release enough and I cannot wait to get my hands on the 4K blu-ray.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
From where I live, the nearest IMAX theatre is one hour away. Unfortunately, as this theater is only showing it through Wednesday looks like I probably won't make it. I have never seen "2001" on anything larger than 25 inches, let alone an IMAX screen.

Last edited:

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I saw the IMAX presentation last night in Ft Lauderdale. It was the 4K laser presentation and looked and sounded magnificent. The presentation displayed film grain and great detail. However, I was able to tell it was a digital presentation as certain panning sequences and shots of ships displayed judder, which I thought would not be there in 4K. The same type I notice on some Blu-Ray presentations. I guess this is where film outdoes digital. It was still great and I had a smile on my face the whole time.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
That has nothing to do with film or digital - it's just one of the limitations of 24 frames-per-second photography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks