What's new

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The hope is to upgrade the receiver next (I can tell from recent behavior that it’s going to be the first component in my system to go), and then the player as the next purchase after that. I’m thinking I might ask/hope for a new AVR for Father’s Day next year instead of the typical socket wrench set that seems to be the thing new dads are destined to be gifted. :)
Unless you care about Atmos, or something beyond what your receiver is capable of, there really isn't a need to upgrade (again, unless you want to). Most every 4K player I know of has two direct HDMI outputs one for video the other for audio. You can run the HDMI video direct to your projector, and the other to your receiver for audio, and you are good to go. Before I purchased my Pioneer receiver, I was running my 4K discs audio through an old Onkyo receiver 3.1 configuration, and it sounded great as well.
1600448657827.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The problem with that is that if I do that, then there’s nothing running to the TV, and the positioning of the gear relative to the projector makes that impractical. For me personally, I gotta do the receiver first. There’s no point in putting money into a UHD player when my AVR could crap out at any time. It’s the least up to date I’ve ever been on home entertainment stuff in my adult life, but at the same time, that’s a tribute to how good the 1080p stuff can look!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The problem with that is that if I do that, then there’s nothing running to the TV, and the positioning of the gear relative to the projector makes that impractical. For me personally, I gotta do the receiver first. There’s no point in putting money into a UHD player when my AVR could crap out at any time. It’s the least up to date I’ve ever been on home entertainment stuff in my adult life, but at the same time, that’s a tribute to how good the 1080p stuff can look!
Yeah, I certainly understand that. Multiple display hardware positioning is very awkward. It took me a while to work the kinks out.

The good news is the prices for receivers seem to be dropping in price more and more (price war with soundbars maybe?). I was shocked at how low I got my 9.2 receiver for. When you are ready, you will have some tough choices, and great prices.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I added one of these to my system about a year ago, and it's been working great. It allows me to split the single HDMI output from my AVR and send the signal to either my projector or TV with a press of the button.

1600449784491.png

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah, I certainly understand that. Multiple display hardware positioning is very awkward. It took me a while to work the kinks out.

The good news is the prices for receivers seem to be dropping in price more and more (price war with soundbars maybe?). I was shocked at how low I got my 9.2 receiver for. When you are ready, you will have some tough choices, and great prices.

I’m looking forward to that. I am extremely unlikely to be in a position to add advanced functions like Atmos anytime in the conceivable future, which means I don’t even need a top of the line model to get to where I want to be.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
As a newer member, you will come to discover this forum’s many valuable resources on every conceivable topic that concerns home theater; and heck, along the way, you might even find yourself wanting to adopt a cat or canine, to boot.

But for today, and your questions concerning ratios, I would encourage you to read “Behind the Mask: aspect ratio solutions for projector and screen”; which is an HTF thread that was authored by Martin Dew. I trust that you will find this article to be of great interest, highly informative and also far more helpful than I could ever dare to be.

BTW, when Warner’s comes around with their 4K/UHD restoration of “A Clockwork Orange” you will find yourself salivating to own it. Bye, bye DVD; hello coaster.:cool:
As a more "established" member, you should have noted more carefully that I never stated I owned the DVD of Clockwork Orange -- but Warner's first single-disc BD release of it. ;)

And just because I'm new here doesn't mean I have zero experience in terms of the hobby and film presentation; I got a bit confused with regard to the 1.78:1/1.85:1 ratio comparisons for a moment, but that doesn't mean I'm completely clueless and just started my foray into home cinema yesterday. :thumbs-up-smiley:

With regard to my statement of apologizing for not explaining what I was trying to communicate properly...the response you provided didn't address what I was trying to ask (I am, of course, aware of the fact that my wife and I can decide for ourselves which way to view the 4:3 content...my query had more to do with accepting the limitations of the Blu-ray player we now own and if I just let go of our non-anamorphic collection and 4:3 DVD library). For this reason, I feel that I perhaps did not explain myself properly in that initial post.

Thank you for your sentiments, in any case.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Great review, Todd. Good to read that Warner’s remains consistently superb within their high caliber restorations of Stanley Kubrick's works through the 4K/UHD format.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
As a more "established" member, you should have noted more carefully that I never stated I owned the DVD of Clockwork Orange -- but Warner's first single-disc BD release of it. ;)
[...]
Despite my 5 year membership with HTF, I could hardly deem myself as being “established”. Quite the contrary, as I still see myself as a complete novice. Indeed, I am eons away from ever catching up to a membership that continues to educate and inspire me.

Standing corrected on your BD of “A Clockwork Orange”, I will continue to hold on my future prediction that Warner’s likely release of its 4K/UHD shall make all other home editions of this film obsolete; as their work on the Kubrick catalog has been simply remarkable.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Despite my 5 year membership with HTF, I could hardly deem myself as being “established”. Quite the contrary, as I still see myself as a complete novice. Indeed, I am eons away from ever catching up to a membership that continues to educate and inspire me.

Five years here? You are indeed established, sir...by all manner of forum decorum. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Standing corrected on your BD of “A Clockwork Orange”, I will continue to hold on my future prediction that Warner’s likely release of its 4K/UHD shall make all other home editions of this film obsolete; as their work on the Kubrick catalog has been simply remarkable.

While I was very impressed with Warner's treatment of The Shining in UHD Blu, I don't see another format besting the Blu-ray of Clockwork I already own. And as much as I am a fan of the title -- studied the intricacies of Kubrick's neo-futuristic dystopia masterpiece in college for film history electives -- I don't reach for the Blu all that often (you really gotta be in the mood for Clockwork, if you know what I mean).

With The Shining, it was a bit different -- I owned the DVD, which was in full screen, and it seemed like a logical upgrade to the 4K version.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Five years here? You are indeed established, sir...by all manner of forum decorum. :thumbs-up-smiley:

While I was very impressed with Warner's treatment of The Shining in UHD Blu, I don't see another format besting the Blu-ray of Clockwork I already own. And as much as I am a fan of the title -- studied the intricacies of Kubrick's neo-futuristic dystopia masterpiece in college for film history electives -- I don't reach for the Blu all that often (you really gotta be in the mood for Clockwork, if you know what I mean).

With The Shining, it was a bit different -- I owned the DVD, which was in full screen, and it seemed like a logical upgrade to the 4K version.
Sure seems that another shot at Clockwork, with an updated mastering to UHD, could improve the colors and contrasts- to my eyes, the existing BluRay lacks these things.

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Sure seems that another shot at Clockwork, with an updated mastering to UHD, could improve the colors and contrasts- to my eyes, the existing BluRay lacks these things.
I even preceded my statement about this a couple of paragraphs up -- that I was in the minority of home cinema enthusiasts who didn't have a problem with the Blu-ray (1080p) transfer of the film. I know it's not highly regarded, but I see nothing wrong with it when I view it that would force me to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks