What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
With mocking outrage at all vainglorious military hierarchies, Stanley Kubrick’s Paths of Glory continues to exude its power to the present day.

Paths of Glory (1957)

Released: 25 Dec 1957
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 88 min

Director: Stanley Kubrick
Genre: Drama, War

Cast: Kirk Douglas, Ralph Meeker, Adolphe Menjou
Writer(s): Stanley Kubrick, Calder Willingham, Jim Thompson

Plot: After refusing to attack an enemy position, a general accuses the soldiers of cowardice and their commanding officer must defend them.

IMDB rating: 8.4
MetaScore: 90

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Kino Lorber
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio:...

Continue reading...

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
The occasional slight hiss present on the Criterion Blu-ray is not present here
Noise reduction as usual:angry::thumbsdown:
Tape hiss should be treated the same way as film grain - Untouched!

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
We'll have to agree to disagree about that.
Yes, I'm very surprised by the fact that people here gets furious if something is DNRd to death, but if the soundtrack gets noise-reduced to death it is seen as something positive. Both film grain and tape hiss is part of the original production and it's impossible to remove it without affection the integrity in a negative way. I just don't get it. It's an analog recording. Tape hiss is supposed to be there in the same way as film grain is supposed to be there.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Yes, I'm very surprised by the fact that people here gets furious if something is DNRd to death, but if the soundtrack gets noise-reduced to death it is seen as something positive. Both film grain and tape hiss is part of the original production and it's impossible to remove it without affection the integrity in a negative way. I just don't get it. It's an analog recording. Tape hiss is supposed to be there in the same way as film grain is supposed to be there.

I tend to agree with you, but I think a little hiss removal can be done judiciously. If a scene is very quiet with little sound, the hiss is more apparent and can be toned down in those scenes. If there is a lot of sound occurring, as with dialog, music or action, the hiss will be less noticeable and can be largely left alone. However, if it is applied over the entire soundtrack there is the danger of losing the high end of the audio just as we lose visual detail with too much DNR. I see (or rather hear) this most often with audio recordings. The Sinatra Capitol CDs that were mastered by Bob Norberg (the Entertainer of the Century series) had the high end heavily filtered. They then tried to boost what remained of the highs and were left with an odd artificial sound. I have also heard this on classical CDs from the late 50's and early 60's in which the highs were obliterated by overzealous hiss removal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Polbroth
Recent bookmarks