What's new

2-sided Jackie Chan DVDs @ HKFlix.com - any good? (1 Viewer)

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if anyone knows whether the 2-sided Jackie Chan DVDs (original version one side, American recut on the other) being offered at HKFlix.com are decent in quality.
Thanks,
JiM T

James Nguyen

Second Unit
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.1348/qx/details.htm I e-mailed HKFlix asking to see screen shots of the burn ins before I make a decision.
I'll post when/if I get any...
The other negative is that these use letterbox rather than anamorphic widescreen... a minor or major quibble depending on your personal opinions.
From the perspective of quality otherwise, the specs sound impressive. Most of the American releases of these films (Rumble In the Bronx, Who Am I, Nice Guy) generally were good video transfers and used Jackie's own voice for the dubbings, so they were at least tolerable. Several sport original language in DD 5.1 so that's also a plus.
I'm fairly torn, so I'm hoping the shots help me out :)
Matt, any knowledge of any of these titles up for consideration at HKL?

James Nguyen

Second Unit
oh yah, that link is to one of the titles specifically.
Going to the front page of HKFlix lists all the titles as well.
For now I just pre-ordered Shaolin Soccer....if I hear word from HKFlix and like what I see, I may have to add to my order :)
and w0000t....my R2 French 2 disc special edition of In the Mood For Love just shipped! sorry...off topic, just very happy. :)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I would pass. The Cantonese version is the Mandarin dubbed edition, which really blows. The film was shot in Cantonese, Russian, Mandarin and English and the Cantonese soundtrack has all of the original dialogue. The Mandarin dub puts EVERYTHING into Mandarin, just like the cut English version makes it all English.
icon13.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks