What's new
World Wide Stereo

1st Time Basic Home Theatre- Need Guidance (1 Viewer)

Kaiser11

Auditioning
Real Name
Lars
Hello,

This is my first post so many thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. I recently bought my first townhome and have a finished lower level basement that is 21' x 12' where my goal over time is to build that space into a home theatre room with HD Projector. There are 2 windows but light is not extensive and can be controlled. I will use the theatre primarily for movies, sports and video games. I have been researching these forums and buying every home theatre magazine I can get my hands on and am now stuck between 2 schools of thought and really need help- should I go higher end equipment and build over time (Option 1) or get all of what I can within my budget (Option 2). I currently have a 53" Sony rear projection TV that's 4 years old and not HD compatible so I will use that in the meantime. I also have a Comcast HD Tuner, PS3 and Yamaha HTIB that I'll be scrapping.

Option 1 ($3,500 budget):
(RECEIVER)-I have researched A/V receivers extensively and it seems the Denon AVR-4306 would cover all current and future needs so would be a solid foundation. My questions is would this be overkill for 1st serious home theatre in this space? $1,999
(DVD PLAYER)-Denon DVD 2930CI $849 Is this version significantly better than the 1930CI for $369? The model would allow me a @$1,000 for speakers. Are there any other similarly priced recommendations?
(SPEAKERS)- The DVD Player decision would impact my budget here so I'm torn. I think in a pinch I could use the Yamaha speakers for now and upgrade later but my preference would be to buy them now if possible.

Option 2 ($3,500 budget):
Is it realistic or even possible to get a full setup (HD Projector, receiver, upconverting DVD player, speakers) in this range? Would any HTIB solutions be powerful enough for a room this size?

Lastly- are there any recommendations for a HD Proejctor aruond the $2k range?

Any help and/or suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Shane Harg

Second Unit
The Panasonic AE900 or AX100 and the Sanyo Z4 or Z5 are all excellent projector options and are all well within the $2k range.

Were it my money to spend, I would get the visual equipment first (projector, screen, DVD player) and then upgrade the audio components (receiver, speakers) later. That way, you can still watch, and rig the sound cheaply until you can save the money for better audio equipment.

The Denon DVD-2930 is an excellent choice.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I'm a big fan of the AVR-4306 and DVD-2930CI, however it simply does not make sense to purchase a $2,000 receiver to drive $500 speakers. Instead I would purchase a $1,000 receiver and $2,500 speakers, as you can always upgrade the receiver later down the road.

As for the DVD-2930CI, yes it is a noticable improvement over the DVD-1930CI (in fact I'm looking to purchase a 2930 in March), however seeing as you already have a Blu-Ray Player (PS3) it doesn't really make too much sense to invest in a DVD-2930CI at this time, unless you are looking for a good quality SACD and DVD-Audio Player.

I would recommend purchasing a Denon AVR-2807 ($850), and consider purchasing an Oppo 981 ($229) if you don't plan on using your PS3 as your primary DVD Player. The remainder of your budget can be allocated towards speakers. Be sure to audition as many speakers as possible before purchasing. Personally I would lean towards Paradigm Monitor 7 or Axiom loudspeakers, along with an SVS or HSU subwoofer.

Don't forget to budget for screen, cabling, universal remote, and surge protection.

Kaiser11

Auditioning
Real Name
Lars
I really appreciate both of your input. After researching some of your suggestions I think I may get the Panasonic AX100U, Denon AVR 3806 and Oppo 981 DVD player. Regarding the PS3, does that upconvert SD DVD's? Meaning could I use that as the sole DVD player for SD and Blue Ray formats? I imagine including the wiring/etc that will take me just over $4k and I can upgrade the speakers and purchase a screen over time.

In terms of speakers, I currently have a set of 5 and sub from my Yamaha HTR 5730 amd 2 additional Yamaha NS 6390 floor speakers. Would I be able to use them with the Denon receiver until I can afford to upgrade? Thanks again for all of your help and advice!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I definitely recommend the projector option. Do you prefer DLP or LCD? I just bought the new Mitsubishi HD1000, 720p DLP projector and it's FANTASTIC. $870 shipped from an authorized Mits. dealer(Projectorpeople.com). I don't think the PS3 upconverts DVD's. I can't comment on the DVD player and receiver because those prices are WAY over what I would ever spend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks