What's new

1933 King Kong in November (1 Viewer)

JackKay

Second Unit
I'm hoping that one of our reviewers here at the forum now has a screener and will be posting a review soon. :)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Does anyone know whetherthe collector's tin is likely to be stocked at any of the major retailers? This is a big title and I want to get it on relese day if possible, but if OZ is a precent, then the more deluxe edition may be hard to come by on release day. I hate pre-ordering major titles because they rarely arrive until later in the week.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Which etailer are you using because most of my titles arrived the Saturday before the Tuesday release date?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I've used Amazon, DVD Planet, & Deep Discount DVD, and I've never had a new release arrive early, and Amazon doesn't ship until release day.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I might be willing to do that. In my experiences, the previous three are generally the cheapest after you including S&H, but I'll compare with the other three for my next pre-order.

I'm still interested if anyone has any dirt on B&M stores carrying the tin though.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Not true. In my experience (and I buy a lot from Amazon, since 1999), they generally ship on Sunday or Monday of release week, and I have it at my doorstep Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, depending on when it shipped.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Part of the problem might be related to when you make your preorder? Amazon does a lot of business and if you wait too long, they might have to wait to ship product later than usual because they have to reorder from their distributors.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My review at digitallyobsessed isn't live yet (probably Monday), but I have gone through Kong. It looks great, though a bit soft. The censored segments finally blend back into the movie seamlessly. The commentary is hugely disappointing, with Harryhausen mostly just admiring the various shots. Fay Wray gets in about three brief and out-of-context sentences during the whole thing. The set redeems itself, however with the massive (2h:46m) Making Of documentary that covers just about anything you'd want to know about the film. On top of that, there's the hour-long documentary on Merian C. Cooper from TCM, which has all sorts of great information. The spider pit recreation (on the 2nd disc) is a little over the top--too much going on for my tastes (hard to believe I just said there are too many monsters)--but it does blend visually with the surrounding footage nicely. The Creation footage looks great and after hearing about it for so many years it's terrific to see it finally.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I've been using Amazon on a regular basis since at least '99, but probably back to '97 or '98. That said, I have not pre-orded that many titles because frankly there are very few titles that I absolutely have to have on day of release. One of those was the 4-disc set of "LOTR: FOTR". I pre-orded that set at least a month in advance, and it did not ship until the Tuesday release date. I sent an E-mail to Amazon complaining about the late shipping, and they replied that it's company policy to not ship until release date. I replied that in that case, I will never pre-order a title from them again and I received no reply.

All told, I have ordered hundreds of DVDs online, but very few that I was biting my nails over getting on release day, but everytime that I have, I have been let down. Due to this, I have stopped pre-ordering online and have decided to sacrifice the savings and pick up those certain titles at the store on release day.

A title of this nature, I don't want to wait even until Wednesday to have.

:D

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Look forward to reading your full review Mark; other than being a little soft, what's your impression on the condition of the restoration/transfer - is it clean video and sound wise?

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I usually preorder months in advance, but I don't think it has any bearing on Amazon's shipping of your order. I too don't have the urge many feel to have a DVD the day it comes out, but many times have received my Amazon preorders on Tuesday, and a few times even on Monday, so I wouldn't believe that "policy"...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The few times I've personally used Amazon with preorders, they have always shipped the same week of the ship date which is why I don't really use them that often.

Crawdaddy

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Does anybody have any details on the replica poster offer yet?

I'm dying to know which design they chose, and how big the poster is. I hope that they use the one with Kong crushing the airplane in his hand, while standing on top of the Empire State Building.

Mike.P

Second Unit
Hoping that the 2 disc tin is readily available at B&M's when this comes out - I like being able to look through for the best tin condition, because I'm a pyscho like that.

I think this documentary may be the first one on all of the DVDs I own (all 100+ of them, which isn't so bad for a college student), as I'm really interested in King Kong now :).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

It depends on what kind of shipping you choose. Amazon used to ship on or about the release date when you chose free shipping, but no more. After having my last two orders take 9 to 11 days after release date to arrive, I went and changed the shipping on a remaining order. I went from free shipping to standard shipping, and now the estimated ship date is 4 days BEFORE release date.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark

Based on pictures from the set showing the contents, it looks like they are using the frontal Kong, not the one you and I were hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks