What's new

2020 TCM/Fathom including King Kong (1933) & Psycho (1960) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
On the Upcoming Events page on Fathom's website, they have the TCM Big Screen Classics for 2020.

January 19 and 22: An American In Paris
February 9 and 12: Love Story
February 23: The Color Purple
March 15: King Kong (1933)
April 26, 27 and 29: A League Of Their Own
May 17 and 20: Airplane!
June 14 and 17: Annie (1982)
June 28 and July 1: The Blues Brothers
July 19 and 22: Ghost
August 9 and 12: Babe
September 13, 14 and 17: Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
October 11 and 12: Psycho (1960)
November 8 and 9: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
December 13 and 14: Fiddler On The Roof

I'm assuming there will be more non-TCM events added as we get into the year (Back To The Future is still a lock in my mind).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Thanks for the list and Fiddler on the Roof is at least distributed by FOX since they released the existing Blu-Ray. I don't think any other titles are FOX but I'm not sure.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Thanks for the list and Fiddler on the Roof is at least distributed by FOX since they released the existing Blu-Ray. I don't think any other titles are FOX but I'm not sure.
Fiddler is MGM - Fox only handles their home video distribution, not theatrical.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wow, that's a great list.

I don't love the January 19 date for An American in Paris, since I can't make it that day, but would otherwise go. But I'm really excited about being able to see many of these in theaters, which I've only seen on Blu-ray before.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Just two words:

KING KONG!

7724787_so.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
For this who are comfortable going to the theater, Fathom Events has announced their 2021 lineup of TCM re-releases.

There are good movies in this list, although I still don't know when I will feel comfortable returning so can't say with certainty which ones I would consider seeing at this point.

The presence of West Side Story in this list means that both the original film and Spielberg's new version are currently scheduled to be shown theatrically next year. I have never seen the original West Side Story in a movie theater, so I would certainly be interested in that possibility if it is after I have the vaccine and after I feel comfortable going back. Because I have it on Blu-ray, it wouldn't be a huge loss if the screenings are before I feel comfortable again, but it would certainly be nice if that works out.

I know that Fathom sets the prices of their films at $12.50 nationwide, regardless of what the normal ticket price is at each participating theater. In markets where $12.50 is higher than a standard ticket, I think they are going to run into a problem even more than they already have. In pre-pandemic times, I would occasionally pay extra for a Fathom re-release if it was one of my favorite films and I really wanted to see it in the theater again. However, post-pandemic, most theaters have been pricing re-releases of older films at $5 flat in an attempt to convince customers to come back. If the theater is showing other older films at such a sharply discounted rate, how can they expect people to accept a significant increase for titles that are booked through Fathom? The theaters have conditioned people that new movies like Tenet are full price and re-releases are less because they are old. I'm not sure that is something that can be easily wound back.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks