What's new

1933 King Kong in November (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Very true Crawdaddy...in any situation really.

Here is the "Reference Quality Kong Thread" I was talking about from back in 2003, the "RQ" debate is only a small part of the entire thread but it's a fun read anyway as it took place before there was a definite release date and was started because of WB "delaying" the Kong disc...I use "" because...well read the thread to find out, it is a fun read.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Guys go to the Peter Jackson Kong site and look for the Quick Time video of Jackson, Bob Burns, and our favorite '33 Kong.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I had a dream last night about some imaginary screen shots from the new King Kong DVD release.

It was horrible...in my dream the old DVD version had colors that looked very nice, albeit a tad "blue", but the NEW version had this warmer, yellow-look to it and was cropped by about 2 pixels on the left side. I've seen the 1930's King Kong projected dozens of times in the theater (70mm widescreen) and it never had this yellow-glow to the color balance before.

Plus in my dream there was some special feature on my OOP laserdisc that wasn't duplicated in the hours of bonus material on the new DVD set (it might have been an isolated music score...I can't remember). WB are JERKS!!!

I'm so ticked off I'm boycotting the new DVD! WB sucks!

;)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I'm holding out for the special Hur-style treatment of King Kong:

Then again, I might also like the Oz-style treatment as well:

;)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
OK, OK, all kidding aside. I do appreciate that so many are willing to share their opinions, subjective or not, and hope that just because we are enjoying a lighter moment :b in this and other ‘controversial’ threads wont keep some from expressing their serious opinions on this or any release.

So true. Of course, the same can be said about all the 'experts' who will either gloss over or even make no mention of any deficiencies as if they don't exist and even describe the release as if it were perfect in every way possible. After all, it isn't unreasonable to understand that many of the experts who count on the studios for support might feel the need to appease the hands that feed.

Personally I'll be looking forward to listening to everyone's opinion, and wont dismiss someone simply because they aren’t considered an expert. Even when I might disagree with them, I generally give far more credit to those who go into specific detail on what they see/hear or don’t see/hear, then those who spend no more than a few short sentences simply using colorful words to glorify how wonderful or scream how hideous a DVD is.

However, considering the quality of the previous video releases of King Kong and the historic amount of attention and resources that have apparently been allocated for this release by Warner Bros, Peter Jackson, film historians, restorationists, and the DVD production team; I can't imagine anyone will feel a previous release will be in any way superior to this long awaited, highly anticipated DVD. For these reasons I don’t think we will see the kind of heated discussions inspired by the recent releases of Ben-Hur, Wizard of Oz, and Sound of Music…. Oh, and even The Complete Collection of Calvin & Hobbes. ;)

I certainly won’t expect anything even remotely close to reference A/V quality, but I will be very surprised if this new release, unlike some of the recent releases mentioned before, won’t unquestionably surpass all previous video releases of King Kong, and perhaps outshine any of the film prints I’ve seen over the years. The question then will be whether or not Kong will be King of the DVD world. ;)

Personally, I suspect this release may in fact end up being a legitimate contender for DVD of the year. Now pass me a banana please!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

I only look forward to expressed opinions based on actual knowledge and not speculation. Some of our most knowledgeable posters no longer participate on this forum because of the constant back-biting regarding issues that are based on misinformation or are totally devoid of facts. IMO, the quality of our discussions has suffered because of such negative posting activity.

Crawdaddy

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I've just read Robert Harris's piece on the DVD release of King Kong, and all I can say is a hushed wow! In fact I'm going to have to go back and read it again. It's obvious from reading this piece that everybody involved in the restoration and release aren't just businesspeople but people passionate about what they do and what's expected of them by us, the punters.

I'm enormously enthused and comforted by this article and I'm sure I'm going to be delighted with the release no matter what the trolls - er negative posters - might think. ;)

EDIT: Ooops - missed a smiley.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
What negative posters? No one has seen it yet, the only thing I see here is rapt anticipation.

BTW, that IS a great interview from RAH.

Also, in that interview they state "we did not remove the sticks"....what "sticks"?

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
The sticks that hold up the models occasionally here and there for individual frames... :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Give it time and they will come as they always do from Gone with the Wind to Ben-Hur and now The Wizard of Oz.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks