What's new

13 Ghosts(1960) - worth picking up? (1 Viewer)

Steve_AA

Agent
I saw this version in Best Buy the other day(~$14) and it's supposed to come with the old 3-D glasses. Is it worth picking up or will I be wasting my time and money?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I haven't seen it for myself, but Columbia fully restored the film. DVDAngle gave it 4.5 out of 5, I think, so that's a pretty good indicator of the quality.
It has the original Illusion-O version (with a pair of glasses) and a version without the tinted sequences (for you sissies out there :D )
Also check out WB's House on Haunted Hill. FilmFax said it's pretty much flawless (but has no inflatable skelaton inside...)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The film is just as I remembered it at the movie theaters. The glasses are the same type, but different design. I've ordered extras with an order form that is enclosed in the case so that my friends can use them when I play this.;)
Paul

Well, I was only 11 when I saw it in the theaters, but I remember it scared the crap out of me. And, the 3D glasses were a trip.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
It's a fun film, pretty much for all ages. You don't get 3-d glasses, but a similar gimmick where you can choose to see the movie with or without ghosts. You get one pair of glasses (and I mean 1, not 2) and you can order more, but at something like $7 a pop (it's cardboard).

Todd_Brown

Second Unit
This is one of my favorite DVD's (granted I love cheesy Sci-fi/horror), and the glasses are fun. It has 2 versions on the DVD, one that needs the glasses to see the ghosts, the other does not. It also has som e trailers from other Castle films of the time which are cool to see (like Tingler, etc...). I recommend this DVD totally!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Todd

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Ditto to everything said above, HOWEVER....

The Illusion-O gadget included with this disc is the essence of Hollywood cheapskate-itis. They've gotten the damned thing so shrunk in size that no normal person can look through the thing with both eyes. You kind of have to squint with one eye to see through the damn thing.

The original Illusion-O "glasses" -- I have one of the originals from when I saw the movie as a kid -- were much bigger and were easy to see through, not this eyestrain miniature they put with the DVD.

Honestly, this is the ultimate in cheap bastard Hollywood behavior.

Steve_AA

Agent
Ok, Ok ... you've all talked me into it. I'll be picking this one up next week, even with the small glasses. Anyone tried making their own? Can it be done?

"The Tingler" was a hoot when I was a kid. Scary in its day. I remember some theaters had some of the seats rigged with buzzers and such that went off during "intense" scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks