10" titanic computer sub almost done :D

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ryan T, Apr 16, 2004.

  1. Ryan T

    Ryan T Second Unit

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2001
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hello,

    I bought this 10" original titanic 1000 driver a while back. I've been really itching for a good DIY project since I moved out to cali in september and I figured this would fit the bill. I had bought some Logitech Z-5300 computer speakers a month or so ago and I found the sub a bit lacking. It's a 6 1/2" driver in a bandpass box :/ It does make plenty of noise but it wont go very low and sounds a bit too boomy for my tastes.

    I wanted to make a ported enclosure for the titanic for more extension. Since I only had about 2 Cu. Ft max that I wanted to use for the enclosure I was somewhat limited on how low I could tune it. I decided to go for the PE blow out sale port tubes 3" flared port 11 1/2" long. That gave me a tuneing point of about 27 Hz not too bad. The final design I made for the enclosure is 12" wide 19" high and 19" deep. I only put one shelf brace in which is skimping it a bit but I think its good enough.

    Making the enclosure without my grandpas table saw and router was a bit of a challenge. I used a 10" circular saw and my jig saw for the construction. I knew I needed a saw guide so I got a metal level and some 2" spring clamps. I used that as my guide and it worked pretty darn good. I have a few spots where I need a bit of wood filler because the MDF got chipped off but other than that its pretty square.

    I'm planning on covering it with the PE black textured laminate I used on my AV 1's. It has held up very well and you cant tell its peel and stick unless you look very closely [​IMG]. Heres the big problem I ran into with the subwoofer though. When installing the driver I popped and jammed three tee nuts! I didnt have much clearance at all between the tee nuts and the outside of the driver hole so I put them as far away as possible bad idea. So now I cant get the driver out unless I drill the screws out or ruin the enclosure :/. I still think i'm going to be able to use the laminate. I'll just have to make a template of the face of the sub and transfer that to the laminate and try to apply it around the driver and port tube.

    Heres some pics
    http://geocities.com/ryatod/sub.html


    Ryan
     
  2. JohanD

    JohanD Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    May 22, 2003
    Messages:
    180
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    What are you using for amplification?
     
  3. Marv

    Marv Stunt Coordinator

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2000
    Messages:
    110
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Ryan that box looks damn good considering the tools you used. I'm spoiled by my panel saw. Did you remove the wood ring that sat on top of the drivers surround or am I seeing things? If so how did you do it? So that P.E. laminate is pretty easy to work with and actualy looks good? I thought about trying their black ash on my next box but I was wondering if it realy looks like wood or a paper/plastic shelf laminate. Keep the pics coming.

    -Marv G
     
  4. Ryan T

    Ryan T Second Unit

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2001
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0



    well right now an old stereo receiver. I just need to buy another electronic subwoofer crossover and i'll be set. I'm thinking of getting one of the new 100 watt plate amps but it performs very well right now.

    I did the whole music tests i usually run and it sounds great. It doesnt go nearly as low as my Tempest sonosub but its very nice.


    Ryan
     
  5. Ryan T

    Ryan T Second Unit

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2001
    Messages:
    406
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0

    Thanks, It took me a while to get the exact measurments from the saw baldes cut and the rail. Once I got it down it wasnt too hard though.

    Yes I did remove the wood surround on the driver. Its a kinda long story but I got this driver used for $55 [​IMG] but there were a few areas on the wood/cork surround were some screw heads had punched thorugh. So I just plyed it up. Heres were the stupid part comes in [​IMG]. When I pulled on hte wood/cork ring I pulled the surround off the basket. With most speakers you can just sorta tilt and pull and it comes off no problem. Aparently the guys at dayton didnt want that thing coming off so they fully glued it down ontop of the surround. The bond between surround and wood/cork must have been stronger than the surround to cast frame [​IMG]. It wasnt a big problem but a stupid mistake. I just cleaned all the rest of the glue off the basket and surround then purchased some PE surround/speaker repair glue and it works like a charm now. All in all just make sure you are willing to repair a separated suround if you try to remove the cork ring but it usually isnt an issue.

    The PE laminate really supprised me. I've worked with the contact paper before [​IMG] and it wasnt pretty. This laminate is really thick and it is super sticky. It went on very smooth for my AV 1's and my stands. I dont know how real the wood ones look but the textured black is fantastic.

    I snapped a few more shots and made up another real quick site. Theres some of the AV 1's in the laminate and my room. (the AV 1's are a bit dusty)

    http://geocities.com/ezspdif/pics.html

    Ryan
     

Share This Page