What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (1 Viewer)

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Well my reason to buy that film is out the window, The Director's edition of ST:TMP was probably the most well thought out, well integrated re-cut I've ever seen. Boo on Paramount Home Video.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
On the plus side, the film should finally get a new anamorphic transfer.
Doug, ditto. I was just gonna mention, the biggest reason I don't own the current version is the non-anamorphic trasnfer.

Paramount - I hope you change your mind on this and give it a chance. You have been doing a lot of good things lately, (like the Jack Ryan series being available in box or individually). But this would give a chance for the much maligned ST:V to be done the way it was supposed to be, and maybe more people will like it better than the theatrical version.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Well, I consider myself to be the typical Star Trek fan...I watched both TOS and The Next Generation growing up, though I don't own any of the sets on DVD, and likely never will, and have tried to catch all the movies on their opening weekend.

I have purchased a couple of the films on DVD (OK, really two of the same....Wrath of Khan barebones when it first came out and Wrath of Khan SE on its street date). I plan on purchasing the SEs of IV and VI, the others depending on my verdict after I rent them. Like I said, I think I am a pretty good picture of what the average, non-fanatic fan is.

Having said that, my only interest in picking up The Final Frontier on DVD was for a redone director's cut, as I don't think part V is worth my $20 in it's original form. So in rejecting Shatner's offer, Paramount is only going to get cash from the completists and die hard Trekkies, and not see the (what I think would be considerable) cash from the average Trek fans like myself.

So basically, thanks for saving me $20, Paramount. I'm sure we'll do business again, but I think you are passing up considerable revenue with this decision.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I know that this might seem to be a bit ungrateful or something, but if Paramount won't fork up the money, why doesn't he raise the money himself from people outside of the studio? Then all he'd have to do is negotiate with Paramount to get his money back from sales.

Personally I'm kind of surprised that he doesn't have the money himself.

I guess that I'm just disappointed that because Paramount said, "No money" he's giving up instead of finding some other means to generate the funds to give ST V the changes that it needs.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I know that, as things stand, my Star Trek Movie collection on DVD will include every title except V. Paramount is being a little foolish not allowing for some repair work on this film. Hell, someone dancing on the negative while wearing cletes would improve it...at least there would be some interesting visuals with all those white dots dancing around in the frame. And I know some people dissent this POV, but I absolutely despise the ROW ROW ROW YOUR BOAT business around the campfire. The woods sequences might have had some great atmosphere if not for that silly intrusion. And Shatner's right - the end needs an overhaul.

BarrieT

Auditioning
Considering how much Paramount owes its success of Trek to TOS and Shatner, I think they are being major boobs about it. As much as I'd love to see his director's cut, I don't think degrading himself by raising outside money and pleading with Paramount is worth it.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I'm not really surprised with Paramount's attitude:

Since this isn't one the better movies, why sink another 300k-500K into it. Many feel that the ending is only one change out of several that would need to be made; now you're talking about a whole new movie.

Who's to say that Shatner's second ending will be any better than the first?

The purist will howl and you will have to include the original cut anyway, making this a three disc release with higher production costs.

It might have been better if Shatner had stuck up for himself and said "this is the best movie I could make at the time and I for one like it".

Now, he's practically owned up to directing crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks