What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Taken from;
http://aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=13642
If Shatner were allowed to re-cut the film and Paramount spent some moolah for new FX, "Star Trek V" could easily be a better film than it is now (how much better, I dunno.) Certainly such a project would elevate sales far beyond what a simple 2 disc special edition would cuz the movie would still be the same, which might be the most disliked film in the franchise.
I hope Paramount does indeed make a go of this and at least give Shatner the opportunity to make the film how he originally wanted to.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It would be hard to make it worse. The question is how many of the missing scenses could be redone without reshooting.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Glen used to work with us at IGN after he left AICN, and his info is always spot on.
He sent me the same email, but this was at the end of it:
"please don't use my name in association with it."
Nice to know AICN is so considerate ;)

Will K

Screenwriter
I would be shocked if Paramount were to actually pony-up the dough for a redux. If anything, bring in ILM to replace those gawd-awful Bran Ferran effects and at least make it look like it belongs among the other films. I don't know what footage would be restored or re-edited to really make it better, but I'd deepsix the Klingon belching at the very least.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
How about a CGI Sybok? Anything would be an improvement over Laurence Luckinbill.

M.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
If they removed the Uhura strip-tease, I might consider watching the movie again.

- Steve

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I very much doubt that there is a gem of a film buried in this pile of garbage. Of course shortening the film in any way would be an improvement. :D

Britton

Screenwriter
Here's a starting list of what I would fix:

1) Replace and redo the god-awful space effects.
2) Cut the scene where Scotty hits his head on the bulkhead.
3) Use computers to change the deck numbers in the turbolift shaft when Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are being taken up via the rocket boots. The Enterprise-A wouldn't have that many decks.
4) Pull a Spielberg (as in the terrorist line in E.T.) and redub any mention taking the Enterprise into the center of the galaxy, which would take too long to get to via warp drive. Maybe replace it with the barrier at the edge of the galaxy, which was seen in 2 TOS episodes.

Joe McKeown

Stunt Coordinator
William Shatner's artistic vision. Mwaaaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

I'm sure Paramount will fund this once all the honest politicians tell them how cool it would be....

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey, they spent the dough to redo TMP: and I believe that Shatner has made Paramount enough money over the years. At least let him try.
:)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
As much as I would want ST:V to be a good film, I'm afraid that I'm in agreement with some of the rest of you. It's just not possible. There are too many cringe inducing moments.

Row your Boat
Uhura stripping
Chekov and Sulu lost in the woods
Scotty bumps his head
Too many decks...Same numbers go by... Numbers run the wrong way... Top deck (the Bridge) should be deck 1... But they went one deck above that!
Yeah, what's with getting to the center of the Galazy so quickly? Voyager sure could have used their warp drive.
Go climb a rock T shirt.
Harve Bennet saying "We need Jim Kirk!" and Shatner's humble "Aw go on.." response.
The fact that Spock had a brother at all. You would think after knowing the character for 25 years... we would have heard about this.

And on and on and on...

I think the least offensive thing in the whole movie were the sub-par special effects... And that's probably the only thing they could fix.

Ric

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I say don't touch it, Trek V makes the other Treks seem twice as good, every franchise has a duff title, its meant to be, such as Batman & Robin or Alien3, you know.. titles that make us spit when mentioned, actually Trek V wasn't THAT bad, it had its moments, Kirk questioning 'God' was spot on, and Jerry Goldsmith's music was typically superb.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I agree with Steve. Spend some money, do some great storyboards and use seamless branching to let Shatner show us what his vision was (hey, I kept a straight face). But there's just no point in putting makeup on this sow. Star Trek V: The Contractual Obligation is a movie best forgotten about.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
This movie was a turd of the highest degree. I would give it another shot if Shatner were allowed to revisit it. Shatner has earned the right to be given some of Paramounts money to create a director's edition. If not just skip the movie and go on to ST6-SE.

Andrew Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
IV - The Voyage Home, is the one with the whales. V - The Final Frontier is the one Shatner directed, with the central plot being about finding God. *cough* VI - The Undiscovered Country is about negotiating a peace treaty with the Klingons, and is the second best of the series. I think we all know which one is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks