What's new

PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture: Fully Restored Director's Edition (4k UHD) (Paramount+ Streaming) (1 Viewer)

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Was it ever actually confirmed Generations was the third film to be included? I know that was the speculation, but I never bought it since Generations is a TNG film no matter how much you squint, tilt your head and want to believe it's not.

V, VI and this version of TMP makes much more sense to me. Always has and always will.
Very could have been speculation. That assumption is totally on me, but still would have liked that configuration. But, they aren’t saying they’re releasing a V, VI and TMP: Director’s Cut as a 3-film set, are they? I’d be game for that more than having 3 individual movies next to my 4-Movie set.

Though the more I’m typing about the subject the more I’m realizing how much of a first world problem this all is. Lol!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If we're not going to get box sets to supplement last year's box, I'd actually welcome individual steelbook releases for each film.
I didn't bother pick up the current set. I figured it was likely that Paramount will, at some point, release SteelBooks, either individually or in sets, as they've done with the Indiana Jones films. If so, I'd be more inclined to just pick up the individual films that I want, and ignore the ones I don't. But knowing myself, I'm likely to just get the set(s). In the meantime, I'm fine with waiting.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Very could have been speculation. That assumption is totally on me, but still would have liked that configuration. But, they aren’t saying they’re releasing a V, VI and TMP: Director’s Cut as a 3-film set, are they? I’d be game for that more than having 3 individual movies next to my 4-Movie set.

Though the more I’m typing about the subject the more I’m realizing how much of a first world problem this all is. Lol!

I honestly have not been keeping up with what is being released. I'm digital only for a lot of reasons. :)

And yes, this is a 100% first world problem! No disagreement there!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I’m a little annoyed because I remember hearing that the next “set” would be V, VI and Generations. I was game to have two box sets that went up to the 7th film (I’m in the minority who really liked that one), but now they’re releasing a I-VI box set, or I can buy V and VI individually. Ugh! I’m gonna have to think upon this.

Also really wanted both cuts of TMP. Well, really I’d like all THREE cuts but I guess we’ll never see that other cut again which is what I grew up on.

I'm totally with you there. You get the added scenes, plus it's got the original sound FX mix on it (unlike the DE). I wish we could get an HD version of the ABC/Special Longer Version, but I'm sure that'll never happen. Don't know whether Paramount delivered it to ABC already assembled or if ABC assembled it themselves, but I bet it was only assembled in the TV/home video aspect of 4:3, so would probably have to be assembled all over again for a widescreen presentation. If a widescreen version had existed, I'm sure it would've been used for the Laserdisc, but that was also 4:3.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm totally with you there. You get the added scenes, plus it's got the original sound FX mix on it (unlike the DE). I wish we could get an HD version of the ABC/Special Longer Version, but I'm sure that'll never happen. Don't know whether Paramount delivered it to ABC already assembled or if ABC assembled it themselves, but I bet it was only assembled in the TV/home video aspect of 4:3, so would probably have to be assembled all over again for a widescreen presentation. If a widescreen version had existed, I'm sure it would've been used for the Laserdisc, but that was also 4:3.

It was apparently assembled on film - the reason this is believed to be true is that a 35mm version with added scenes had previously been shown at in-house studio events and during at least one seminar with Douglas Trumbull. All of these screenings happened at a time when the director’s edition was only available in standard definition - so there’s no other way that these special audiences could have seen a longer version projected on film unless special longer version had been assembled on film. I’m not sure the studio realized what print they were showing. At the time the special longer version first aired in the early 80s, videotape editing was basically in its infancy so it’s much more likely the studio assembled the longer cut on film.

The sound mix on SLV is monaural - which honestly I’d be fine with.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
The sound mix on SLV is monaural - which honestly I’d be fine with.
That's not correct.
23228.jpg

And here's a photo of the Paramount archive from the special features on "It's A Wonderful Life."

IMG_20201224_225220_185.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I know it's a minority opinion, but "Final Frontier" has some really good moments.

"TMP" is just a snoozer, and "Voyage Home" attempts to become a sitcom.

The Final Frontier and Nemesis are the two Star Trek movies that I have no desire to see ever again. TMP has its issues, but there's more about it that I like than that I don't like. TVH I'm not wild about, but I don't have any great dislike of it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I know it's a minority opinion, but "Final Frontier" has some really good moments.

"TMP" is just a snoozer, and "Voyage Home" attempts to become a sitcom.

It is very rare to find someone who has the same opinion of IV that I do...YAY! Hi Colin! :banana:

Don't get me wrong...I've owned every version of it, have all the soundtracks, had the comics and novelizations...but I don't hold it in as high a regard as most people do.

The Final Frontier has good moments, 100% right. And then it has things I want to punch in the face because they're so incredibly stupid. I trace all of those things right back to, you guessed it, Star Trek IV. So I guess I blame the absurd comedy in V on the absurd success of IV, leading to my "less than" opinion of the whales.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
It is very rare to find someone who has the same opinion of IV that I do...YAY! Hi Colin! :banana:

Don't get me wrong...I've owned every version of it, have all the soundtracks, had the comics and novelizations...but I don't hold it in as high a regard as most people do.

The Final Frontier has good moments, 100% right. And then it has things I want to punch in the face because they're so incredibly stupid. I trace all of those things right back to, you guessed it, Star Trek IV. So I guess I blame the absurd comedy in V on the absurd success of IV, leading to my "less than" opinion of the whales.

You can count me as another Voyage Home hater. I dislike it more every time I watch it. It's my least favorite of the original crew Trek movies.

Final Frontier is a mess, but at least it actually is a Star Trek movie and not a lame '80s sitcom with some mild Star Trek trappings draped around it for show.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Interesting- so you like #3 more than #4?
Oh yeah, definitely. 4 has definitively been my least favorite and has been for a while, but I don’t have overly negative feelings towards it. Though my Trek rankings have changed drastically over the years/decades, even when it comes to my top favorite. Only 4 and 5 have never at one time been my “favorite” Trek film. This is due to how much I LOVE the Trek movies rather than me falling “out of love” with any of them.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
The Voyage home is probably my least favorite falling down my personal rankings over time of the original cast movies although I can still roll with it. TMP and 'Khan are at my top. I will watch all six movies in chronological order when they come out and likely sell off existing UHD BD boxset I have. I would like to have the original poster art with these as I suspect this will be the last time I buy them on physical media marking the 'final frontier' in that regard.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Not a big fan of 4. Well made and solid sure. Not what I wanted or want for a Trek movie. So for 5 years from June 84 to June 89 we spend 40 minutes in the 23rd century. So we can giggle at fish out of water antics. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks