What's new

Press Release Paramount Presents! Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
61bnx6YvD+L._SL1024_.jpg

Director Sergio Leone’s monumental Western classic ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST celebrates its 55th anniversary this year and to mark the occasion Paramount Home Entertainment will release the fully restored film for the first time on 4K Ultra HD™ May 14, 2024, as the latest addition to the studio’s Paramount Presents line.

One of the most iconic and influential movies ever made, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST has been restored from the original 35mm Techniscope camera negative by Paramount’s archive team, L'Immagine Ritrovata and The Film Foundation. This restoration honors the 2007 Film Foundation photochemical restoration overseen by legendary director Martin Scorsese by matching its build and color palette. The result is the definitive home release of the film, which features the 165-minute extended cut restored to its glory.

A must-own for every cinephile’s collection, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST will be presented in a Limited-Edition two-disc 4K Ultra HD/Blu-ray™ set that includes both new and legacy bonus content, as well as access to a Digital copy of the film. The film is presented in Dolby Vision ™* and HDR-10, along with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and English Restored Mono Dolby Digital for an exceptional home viewing experience.

Bonus content presented on the Blu-ray Disc™ is detailed below:

• Commentary by the Hosts of the Spaghetti Western Podcast –NEW!
  • A Look Back with Leonard Maltin—NEW!
  • Commentary with contributions from directors John Carpenter, John Milius & Alex Cox, film historians Sir Christopher Frayling & Dr. Sheldon Hall, and cast and crew
  • An Opera of Violence
  • The Wages of Sin
  • Something To Do With Death
  • Railroad: Revolutionising the West
  • Locations Then & Now (Gallery)
  • Production Gallery
  • Theatrical Trailer

Widely considered to be one of the greatest Westerns—and one of the greatest films—ever made, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST was selected for preservation by the Library of Congress in the U.S. National Film Registry in 2009. The film stars Claudia Cardinale, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, and Charles Bronson.

Synopsis

Set in the dying days of the Old West, a struggle to control water in a dusty desert town embroils three hard-bitten gunmen in an epic clash of greed, honor, and revenge.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST will also be available on 4K Ultra HD Digital on May 14.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Once-Upon-Time-West-UHD/dp/B0CVN118ZY/ref=sr_1_5?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.WFRhbUSOUpgeM58chB8V-8IpwLhLu-i3v66kIX-ylD8drP78pGcMiOAI16GVxTKjcjed2XT1_k9fhgV3nMV14oI4B5ld7CybKlVgKFnG88buw7LZY2n-UldIkVeWfPMZmkicJz_GOECiwWTkY9V-NiZQHSODvzVmn5w5u5BILZsUbsiyjhL6MMRtzH_-0GF3lEIL1j9yAjqDPUwJbGo8peCrW6Wvb1F3XNxHYLGfSEg.muv2D8cTEO7SzXKAWjaEqG8fRPK-7XpOQZZihbGrk6E&dib_tag=se&qid=1708435623&refinements=p_n_date:2693529011&rnid=2693522011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-5

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Interesting the cover art states 1969 and everything I researched points to a 1968 release
Look - just as long as this is one of the "good" Paramount Presents 4K UHD releases, instead of an "ugly" one, I don't care whether they can't remember when they first released it! Terrific news.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wasn't a "Spaghetti" Western fan growing up in the 1960's. However, this movie was the exception during that time. Thank you, Martin Scorsese and your Film Foundation. The Vudu 4K/Dolby Vision looks spectacular so I'm looking forward to this 4K/UHD physical media release.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite westerns and a easy buy. One of the reasons i bought a laserdisc player back in the 1990's was to see this movie in a letterboxed format and i still have that laserdisc.

One of my top 5 movies and my most watched Laserdisc back in the 80's and 90's so a no brainer for me.

Agree 100%. It has been awhile :) - but I'm pretty sure that this title and 2001: A Space Odyssey were two of my very early Laserdisc purchases in the early 90s. Spun this quite a few times on LD. Looking forward to this release.

- Walter.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'm no fan of spaghetti westerns either but I see this has a rating of 8,5 at imdb. Is it that good?
Maybe I'll check it out then.

Reactions: PMF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'm no fan of spaghetti westerns either but I see this has a rating of 8,5 at imdb. Is it that good?

It's a really fun picture but you can still smell the pasta sauce as you watch it. I love it, it is a beautiful looking film, maybe Leone's masterpiece. Henry Fonda is wonderfully evil in it. Bronson is iconic. I say it is a can't miss film.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There are spaghetti westerns, and then there are Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns. Leone was a truly great filmmaker who (along with his creative team) put the genre on the map in 1964. The hundreds of imitation spaghetti westerns that followed are IMO mainly crap and are difficult to sit through. The difference between Leone's films and cheesy ones that followed are very obvious. The only caution if you are new to Leone is that his films are rather deliberately paced. The climactic gunfights in For a Few Dollars More, The Good, the Bad & the Ugly and this film are stretched to the limit with Ennio Morricone's wonderful music providing the accompaniment as the protagonists stare at each other. I love those scenes, but some may not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks