What's new

Press Release Paramount Presents! Once Upon A Time In The West (1968) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
This was the western that reformed my moot opinion as a teen that all westerns were just a bunch of bunk about guys riding horses. Powerful performances, riveting score and Claudia Cardinale looking mint. Yeow! What a babe. And Fonda's turn as the baddie is truly bone-chilling.

Since then, I have my absolute favs in that genre, including The Big Country, The Searchers, Red River and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. But Once Upon A Time in the West, for me, blows even that stellar group out of the water. Can't wait for this!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This was the western that reformed my moot opinion as a teen that all westerns were just a bunch of bunk about guys riding horses. Powerful performances, riveting score and Claudia Cardinale looking mint. Yeow! What a babe. And Fonda's turn as the baddie is truly bone-chilling.

Since then, I have my absolute favs in that genre, including The Big Country, The Searchers, Red River and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. But Once Upon A Time in the West, for me, blows even that stellar group out of the water. Can't wait for this!

I used to hate Westerns. Was bored by them.

I think it was OUATITW was the film that changed my perspective. I mean, the film's opening scene at the railroad station is one of the most iconic moments in film history. From there, the film plays out like a western opera. I have watched this film countless times over and never gotten tired of it. I can't wait to see it in 4k.

Getting back to hating westerns...

I have to give credit to Robert Crawford. I have known him for over 20 years and his love for the genre enticed me to watch as many westerns as he could recommend. I went from not knowing a single John Wayne film in my 40s to becoming a huge fan of his now in my 60s. I also deeply admire John Ford for being the influential director that he was (though he did not direct this film).

OUATITW is at the very top of its game for the genre. It's a masterpiece.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Just for the cinematography in the 4K/UHD format struck from the OCN, alone, you will find my own personal answer to be a resounding YES. Additionally, the Marricone score will also find its new and audibly expansive breath of life, as well. What’s not to like at 40 bucks, for those who marvel at this masterpiece?
Unless Paramount strikes again, and we get an encoding like the Trading places 4k fiasco!

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Unless Paramount strikes again, and we get an encoding like the Trading places 4k fiasco!
Until proven otherwise, we can only hope for the best and that Paramount has been learning from past critiques of cinephiles; as well as the collective writings of our esteemed on-line reviewers of physical media. Fortunately for us, Paramount does know fully well exactly how to achieve greatness; and I am thrilled by the anticipations of this upcoming release.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I just saw what they have done to the film grain in Trading Places that had a perfectly fine Blu-ray release. It sadly shows that Paramount is the least predictable of all studios and that some people who work on their UHDs will go out of their way to use degraining even when that wasn't done on the Blu-ray from the same master. Trading Places was a very nice surprise when it was released on Blu-ray so I am staying with that one but for Once Upon a Time in the West we do not have a very good Blu-ray so here's hoping that "the other guys" worked on it.

Reactions: PMF

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

I just saw what they have done to the film grain in Trading Places that had a perfectly fine Blu-ray release. It sadly shows that Paramount is the least predictable of all studios and that some people who work on their UHDs will go out of their way to use degraining even when that wasn't done on the Blu-ray from the same master. Trading Places was a very nice surprise when it was released on Blu-ray so I am staying with that one but for Once Upon a Time in the West we do not have a very good Blu-ray so here's hoping that "the other guys" worked on it.

Well, that's a real bummer.

RAH wasn't too crazy about that previous BD release either though...

I was hoping the 4K disc might actually improve on the BD -- and bought it a few weeks ago. Well, at least it also includes the BD... and both have got to be much better than the really old, awful original BD anyhow...

Whoever are in charge at Paramount just can't seem to get out of their own way w/ so very many of their releases (both past and present)... :huh:

_Man_

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
May this horse arrive to its 4K/UHD stable jutified.

That'll be the day!

And just in case we're keeping an eye on you, Paramount:

1708935826673.png

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis

My image of Westerns as a young 'un was dudes in outfits that looked like rentals from Central Casting riding around dusty towns in old B&W movies that felt more like TV shows lol. That I got from my dad's viewing habits. Then I graduated to Little House On the Prairie reruns, which was the closest I ever got to a color Western on my own until I discovered Spaghetti Westerns on DVD in the late 90's. I did see Unforgiven theatrically but it was the second feature in a double bill so I never paid much mind to it in 1992.

samkydd

Grip
Real Name
Kevin
My friend says this is the same version as the Italian LEONE FILM one which mentions also Scorsese. He said it looks very good. If it is it will have the Harmonica rising scene.

Kilgore

Agent
Real Name
Glen Morgan
Please explain the problem with Techniscope. I’ve never found one.
In essence, isn't Techniscope really just a non-anamorphic version of the Cinemascope Technicolor process? I can see how there would be a difference, but I'm with you, I've never had a problem with it.

Grubert

Grip
Real Name
von
My main question is which version they will release this time.

Will they now bring for the first time the original theatrical version on disc? The one that was released in Italy, Germany, France and even in the USA (for a few weeks before Paramount began to replace it by shorter versions), the one I watched countless times theatrical, the one which so far was not released in any country on disc.
Or will it again be the slightly different Paramount master with that terrible Harmonica rising scene ...

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I went with the UK "tat" edition. I felt a film like this needs something better than a regular Amaray decorated with a flimsy lopsided piece of cardboard. If it were up to me I'd come up with a nice Laserdisc-style gatefold with nothing but the title on the cover embossed in gold lettering. You know, classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks