What's new

Press Release PHE Press Release: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Restored Director's Edition and Six-Movie Collection (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Love the star trek 5 soundtrack. It has some good moments. It’s the closest we got to the tv show for sure. Not one I watch often.

I’m still waiting to watch many of these. Just time and waiting for my 2 older boys to watch them with me. Search for Spock is out next Star Trek film to watch. We are on season 2 of TOS as well.

Gotta start 'em young w/ the indoctrination. They are the future afterall... ;):lol::laugh::laugh::laugh::cool:

_Man_

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another thing I have been enjoying with the new box set is the loads of extras for each movie. Many of them I have never seen before and even more I don't remember from 20 years ago (when they were issued on those DVDs -- 20 years? Sheesh).

Boy, the extras for Star Trek V are more than a bit weird. First of all, Shatner's ego is all over the place. It's astonishing. (He seemed to poke fun at his own ego in the extras for Star Trek III and IV when he proclaimed that he taught Nimoy everything about directing -- or was it in fun?) Then there are pieces like "Cosmic Thoughts" which is a new age-y kind of program that talks about the spirituality of the cosmos and echoes (and echoes and echoes) Kirk's line in the film about God not being out there in space but inside the human heart. Groan.

Shatner - at least when talking about this movie - seems like a college kid who hasn't done the work and is bullshitting his way through class, posing unanswerable questions rather than presenting a conclusion that he backs up with evidence. I'm not sure I can finish the ST V extras.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Shatner - at least when talking about this movie - seems like a college kid who hasn't done the work and is bullshitting his way through class, posing unanswerable questions rather than presenting a conclusion that he backs up with evidence. I'm not sure I can finish the ST V extras.

I haven't checked for it on the UHD yet, but my favorite moment in the older Blu-ray extras was the vintage EPK promo where Shatner forgets Walter Koenig's name and introduces him as "the gentleman who plays Mr. Chekov."

The two of them had only been working together for 22 years at that point. I guess Shatner couldn't be bothered to learn his name.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I haven't checked for it on the UHD yet, but my favorite moment in the older Blu-ray extras was the vintage EPK promo where Shatner forgets Walter Koenig's name and introduces him as "the gentleman who plays Mr. Chekov."

The two of them had only been working together for 22 years at that point. I guess Shatner couldn't be bothered to learn his name.
Ha!!!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, for anyone who's interested, but still haven't bought the big box-o-junk edition of the 1st movie, Amazon now has it for under $50 for BF deal.

_Man_

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ah, Star Trek VI. Watched it last night in 4k, and IMO it looks amazing. Deep darks, vibrant colors and sharp images. This one completely erases the bad taste of ST V, and unlike that film, feels like it takes place in the Star Trek Universe. A lot of that has to do with the story, which is all about geopolitics (galaxy politics?), and changes spurred by environmental disaster. It also deals with aging in a way that would make ST II’s characters realize they were in the prime of life.

The smartest thing the producers could’ve done was bring back Nick Meyers to write and direct, and he’s in top form here. He previously honored the original series with stories that used themes of adventure and submarine-type space battles, environmentalism and comedy, and now he revisits the show’s ability to talk about modern day world affairs. At the time of its release, effects of the Chernobyl disaster were still being felt and the Soviet Union - for whom the Klingon Empire was long a stand-in - had just fallen.

The film was also influenced by the success of The Next Generation, which was in its fifth season, and had deeply explored Star Trek’s nations of the Federation, Klingon and Romulan Empires and more. This gave a consistency to the whole universe which made fans happy and deepened the landscape for the stories.

Shatner is very good in the picture, playing a man set in his ways but still smart enough to know when it’s time to look outside himself. Nimoy gives what is probably his last great performance as Spock, finally blending the elements of logic and human intuition that he struggled with forever. The rest of the cast doesn’t get as much to do, which is a shame, because when they have a moment they really shine, like when McCoy argues with a Klingon officer over the end of his race. George Takei finally gets a long overdue command of his own ship, but that unfortunately keeps him away from his cast mates for most of the film. Nevertheless, Sulu is a commanding figure.

Meyer understands the need for a good antagonist, and he has a great one in Christopher Plummer - although the character is at his best when he isn’t just quoting Shakespeare. General Chang is a refreshing villain of sophistication, especially after the crude Klingons we’d seen in ST III and V. David Warner’s Gorkon - clearly patterned after Gorbachev - is similarly a leader of class, very far from the wild warriors we’d seen before.

It’s a great send-off for the crew, many of whom would not reappear in Star Trek, and never again as a crew. After 6 movies and 12 years, it felt like we were finally given a sense of the place these characters lived, just as we were leaving them behind. As far as last adventures go, this one was very satisfying.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I did order the director’s cut first film UHD.
I will have both versions of the first film, and 2,3,4, and 6 on UHD. Don’t need 5-
I just don’t like the film.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I told a good friend I would not watch the restored STMP Director's Edition until we could get together - it has been weeks but our schedules finally intersected this weekend and we watched it projected at 110". Although I have not yet upgraded to Atmos, the sound nonetheless knocked our socks off, as did the quality of the video. It was really immersive, after the first few minutes we really lost ourselves in the story. That being said, we did remark on the security guards' football helmets and Sulu's gear shift that resembles the one in my 1978 Corolla. :)

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I told a good friend I would not watch the restored STMP Director's Edition until we could get together - it has been weeks but our schedules finally intersected this weekend and we watched it projected at 110". Although I have not yet upgraded to Atmos, the sound nonetheless knocked our socks off, as did the quality of the video. It was really immersive, after the first few minutes we really lost ourselves in the story. That being said, we did remark on the security guards' football helmets and Sulu's gear shift that resembles the one in my 1978 Corolla. :)
At least it's not the communicators fashioned from ladies' razors as seen in Star Wars: Episode 1?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
At least it's not the communicators fashioned from ladies' razors as seen in Star Wars: Episode 1?
Look sir
1669709907790.png

Droids (TM) :rolleyes:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I missed out on the steelbooks for the film series that came out about 10 years ago. It would be cool if they did all the TOS 4K films with steelbooks. I know it would be a quadruple double quintuplet dip.

I really liked how those steelbooks had the theatrical poster art on them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yeah, I would have bought steelbooks for each of the 10 original features, but now I have the two box sets. If the disc content is the same, I can't see buying them again, much as I'd want those steelbooks.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’ve been searching on and off for that earlier set of steelbooks. I had a fantasy of buying them just to have and enjoy looking at the cases. 😆. It’s 5 years until the 50th anniversary of Star Trek TMP and I doubt there will be any fanfare for that. It would be great if the rest of the films get a Steelbook release. Maybe if I buy the Star Trek 3 Steelbook, it will spur CBS Paramount to release the films with steelbooks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I bought the single movie UHD editions rather than the set because for once I liked the artwork on the single movies and like and watch the movies enough that I could justify the expense. But pending the unforeseeable, I’m done. I just don’t have the room in my house for packaging-only double dips.

But it is a nice looking steelbook, no argument from me there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks