What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
From my review:

"Every time I watch 'Voyage', I almost start to wonder why I semi-dislike it – until Hicks appears. That’s when the film starts to go into the toilet, and the fact that she’s nearly omnipresent once she hits the screen means the movie can’t escape the negatives she brings.

There's nothing in the role that makes it necessarily problematic, so it's all due to Hicks, as she appears to be in a permanent snit. Hicks’ turn is so miserable that she almost single-handedly ruins this movie for me. She makes Gillian one of the least-appealing characters I've seen."
You guys kill me!

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
To each his own but...ugh. Most irritating, self-righteous character in movie history!
I think you hit upon it- she plays annoying very well, so I don’t agree that it’s a lousy performance. Her character is one of the drawbacks of the film, along with the tone being a bit too schmaltzy, compared to the other films.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
@TravisR given your appreciation for the offbeat and enthusiasm for less than perfect sequels in other genres I think you stand a good chance of enjoying V - I certainly do.
V has grown on me over the decades... It's not the best but it's also not quite as bad as its detractors would have you believe. Or maybe I should say that, for me, even "bad" Star Trek is better than lots of the SF foisted upon theaters/viewers.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Forgive the side track here, in looking at Catherine Hicks’ resume, she was in Ryan’s Hope and the long running series 7th Heaven. So perhaps Colin would enjoy the box set of that TV series. What’s interesting is I forgot that she co-stars in 7th Heaven with Stephen Collins. And another Star Trek connection is that Kate Mulgrew was on Ryan’s Hope where Catherine Hicks had a role as well.

And Ms Hicks had a role in Peggy Sue Got Married, a delightful little film that I thought she did well in. Though it was a smaller role.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Forgive the side track here, in looking at Catherine Hicks’ resume, she was in Ryan’s Hope and the long running series 7th Heaven. So perhaps Colin would enjoy the box set of that TV series. What’s interesting is I forgot that she co-stars in 7th Heaven with Stephen Collins. And another Star Trek connection is that Kate Mulgrew was on Ryan’s Hope where Catherine Hicks had a role as well.

And Ms Hicks had a role in Peggy Sue Got Married, a delightful little film that I thought she did well in. Though it was a smaller role.
Can't forget Child's Play.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Another connect-the-dots is that Stephen Collins played Julie Andrews' husband on Broadway in Putting It Together, and Julie of course starred in The Sound of Music directed b y Robert Wise who directed ST-TMP.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Remind me to get Colin a Catherine Hicks box set for Christmas :D

I don't think I disliked her anywhere else! She's fine in "Child's Play", for instance.

But she just goes too far with the character's self-righteous traits and gets on my nerves!

I don't think she intended for the character to be so damned smug and irritating.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't think I disliked her anywhere else! She's fine in "Child's Play", for instance.

But she just goes too far with the character's self-righteous traits and gets on my nerves!

I don't think she intended for the character to be so damned smug and irritating.

I hear what you're saying...but the entire movie is self-righteous. She fits right in.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey, that was fun connecting the dots! But probably a better game to play in the Scott Atwell Star Trek thread. I did a quick search, there’s an actual website called Six Degrees of Star Trek!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
To each his own but...ugh. Most irritating, self-righteous character in movie history!
It sounds like you're confusing a character with an actor/performance. Most of the audience knew some who or was her character in some way. The nebulous "the Man" destroying/undermining their work in the name of the "good" of the "company."

Not to mention, the "save the whales" bumper sticker was often adjacent to the "beam me up Scotty" bumper stickers on the rear of many motor vehicles. Most of the audience cheered when a harpoon bounced off an invisible barrier instead of landing in/on one whales.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
From my review:

"Every time I watch 'Voyage', I almost start to wonder why I semi-dislike it – until Hicks appears. That’s when the film starts to go into the toilet, and the fact that she’s nearly omnipresent once she hits the screen means the movie can’t escape the negatives she brings.

There's nothing in the role that makes it necessarily problematic, so it's all due to Hicks, as she appears to be in a permanent snit. Hicks’ turn is so miserable that she almost single-handedly ruins this movie for me. She makes Gillian one of the least-appealing characters I've seen."
Interesting. Her character or performance never bothered me.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I've always wondered how those two whales managed to BREATHE in that tank while they were being transported to the 23rd century... ;)
Obviously they had two of these breathing apperati attached ...
1667940315617.png
:D ... I think it was established there would be air in the tank above the water where the whales were located.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Star Trek IV is my least favorite of the classic films. Not because I think it's a bad movie - far from it. But I generally don't like Star Trek as a comedy. The humor (i.e. Shatner) is usually played too broadly for my taste. I prefer Star Trek's comedy to be more along the lines of tension relief rather than ongoing yuks. So, I don't like "A Piece of the Action" and "I, Mudd" but tolerate "Tribbles" because it at least has great character bits.

I will say the "I love Italian" gag is the funniest scene in Star Trek history. How they got that to look so spontaneous is a tribute to a fine cast.

Star Trek IV has a score that doesn't register with me after the genius of the last three (and I wanted the consistency of Horner to wrap up the trilogy), a leading lady who is annoying and a "message" that's as subtle as a canker sore. But, it's the original cast, so I can't dislike it. The bookends in the 23rd century are great and the finale is so uplifting, it makes me giddy when I watch it.

I don't agree that the film was made for people who don't like Star Trek. Just the opposite, it was made for the fans who like the lighter stories, but it just happened to resonate with the general public. The next movie was forced to pander, but this one was just a lighthearted romp, like those episodes listed. It's just not my preferred style of Star Trek. However, it IS the last Star Trek movie made strictly for fans. Normals just happened to like it this time.

This film was the peak for the original cast. The last time Star Trek would be this popular solely because of the OG cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks