What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Over at the Shatner BBS, Lisabeth Shatner has thanked fans for their support for a 'Star Trek V' Director's Edition DVD, as expressed in the recent petition. "I know my Dad would love to get the chance to redo the ending. As it stands, we both did interviews and a commentary for the movie. It should be out on DVD some time next year, I'm not sure when, but we'll definitely let you know. Even if he doesn't redo a thing, I know he had a great time filming it and thinks of it as one of the most special moments in his life. I also know he's very touched by all your loyalty and support." (From Trek Today.com)
http://www.trektoday.com/news/291102_01.shtml
Please do this DVD right Paramount. Release it as a Director's Edition.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I just don't get Paramount... How much dough has Shatner earned over the years for paramount??? The only reason most fans (including this 1...) would even buy this DVD is if it were a director's cut. Right away, that should be incentive enough. They'll make MORE $$$$. They let Robert Wise "fix" Trek 1, (better film beacause of it...) so why not Shatner? Did he ask for $$$$? Do they have a bad relationship?
What's the real deal? It couldn't take THAT long if he just wanted to fix the ending, could it???
:frowning: D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Regarding Star Trek-The Motion Picture, I believe the germ for a Directors Cut of that film goes back to 1996 or 1997. The former editor of Sci-Fi Universe magazine at that time had written an editorial for fan support of a Directors Cut for the 1999 20th Anniversary and theatrical re-release. I wrote to Sheri Lancing at that time for it. SO that film had a long time of support to get something going. (Perhaps longer that Star Trek 5 has?)

Plus it has a few things going for it to get it re-done as a Directors Cut. Firstly as already stated, Robert Wise is an Academy Award winning director of long standing and with a long string of hits to his credit. It was the first film, it has a large fan base and a lot of sentimentality because of it being the first. It did start the franchise of films and showed that interest was there for more series to be made.

It's hard to top that for Star Trek 5. As much as I would like to see Shatner have a chance to "finish" his film as Robert Wise has, it does look like a financial hurdle to beat. Of course it can be argued that ST 1 was a big bore and who'd want to buy that. But it proved to Paramount that it was wrong.

Let's hope there have been quiet discussions about this and we get a surprise when Star Trek 5 is released on DVD.
Nelson

Seth_S

Second Unit
While it would be cool to see a director's cut of Trek V, I'd rather see Paramount spend their money on DVD projects like Sunset Blvd. and Roman Holiday, so I'm not going to sign this petition.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I truly doubt the power of Internet "petitions" these days anyway, now a genuine letter writing petition on the other hand is a little harder to ignore.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Agreed! A written letter has much more impact and it's nice to get a response as well! I just let them know that I've bought a lot of their DVD product and that I was interested in seeing the Director's Edition of V.

Here's the address:

Paramount Studios
5555 Melrose Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90038

It took just a minute to send Paramount a letter and drop it in the mail. If anything maybe they will be more specific on how their decision was reached.

Thank you!

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Well, it seems there won't be a Director's Cut of this film. I know not many people are going to be bummed about this, considering how it is widely disliked. I don't much like the film either, but I am interested in seeing what Shatner would have done with the film if he had a chance to clean up all its flaws. I guess we'll never see now. :thumbsdown:

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, I don't know who will buy it otherwise. For what, a 2nd disc of "extras" saying how good it "could have been"...??? Well, DUH. Just do what they did for ST:TMP. A little re-editing, a few new FX, and see what happens. Otherwise, I and most others would NEVER buy or rebuy it. They are going to LOSE $ on this.

D

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I told the producer that he should just include the fan MST3K of the movie :) That'd definately make me buy it

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Even in its current state, it's far better than Search for Spock, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis!

Too bad they didn't give Shatner the go-ahead to do it, but it was probably wishful thinking on his part anyway...

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Even in its current state, it's far better than Search for Spock, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis!
I'll definitely agree with you on Generations and Insurrection. I haven't seen Nemesis, and judging from the film's box office take, a lot of other people haven't either. :) The films with the Next Generation were always frightfully boring, in my opinion. I've always been an original crew Star Trek fan myself.
While I admit, its hard to find a lot of positive things to say about The Final Frontier, I've always thought there were worse Star Trek movies out there. And I will do my part to make sure Paramount gets through to at least The Undiscovered Country for their SEs. ;)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Is this for sure? SON OF A B*TCH!!! I thought it had been confirmed it WOULD be a director's cut. I seem to recall reading an interview were Bill Shatner himself said it was done... DAMNIT!

This is upsetting, would have loved to see him bring this movie to as close to his vision as possible...

Paramount... First no unrated Friday the 13th movies now this...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Rolando, it doesn't make good business sense to sink half a million bucks into a movie that most Trek fans despise and are only buying for completeness

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
I'm pretty bummed about it. If Shatner cared that much, he's got tons of money he can use to clean the film up. Hey, just correcting the deck numbers would be a big improvement.... :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks