What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (2 Viewers)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I'm with John on this one. The whole TOS movie franchise has points good and bad, but I really can't do without them. Even though I grew up in the touchy-feely TNG era, TOS was always the bigger draw for me. I can't wait for the full line-up of SE's and DC's to appear - they'll look so sweet on in my dvd rack! Although I do have the Khan DC with a bilingual cover. :angry:
And the Shat's commentary on STV, good or bad, will be worth it's weight in gold. Especially if he ropes in Nimoy - although with Shatner and his ego, I don't think there'll be enough room.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
His badmouthing of the fans with comments like, "Get a Life" and such doesn't seem much like joking. If he is, he has a horrible sense of humor. Not to mention people like George Takai that can't stand him for the crap he's pulled during the time they have worked together. Like intentionally blowing his lines over and over again, so they couldn't film the scene where Sulu gets a promotion. :)

Keith Helms

Stunt Coordinator
A director's cut is the only way I would even consider buying this film and even then I'd read a couple of reviews first. I'm a reasonably big Star Trek fan, but this one stunk to high heaven. My god, they used leftover sound effects that have been around since War of the Worlds in 1953, the sets were the cheesiest looking in the entire film series, and Spock suddenly acquired a brother! The only tired plot twist they didn't pull out of the hat was to blow the ship up another time!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Please Captain, not in front of the Klingons" Probably the best line in Trek V. Give Shatner a chance, while it won't be a Trek 2 or 6 in quality, it will be interesting to see what happens because in spirit, Shatner was going for the feel of the original series adventures. "Hold your horse, Captain".

And I saw the Shatner talk about the making of ST 3 in the DVD, his tongue was totally in cheek. He was completely pulling your legs with his stories of teaching Nimoy to direct and of saving the studio from the fire. Sure Takei hates him and Doohan too. But that's their business. But do you really believe all the runours out there? I saw a recent photo of the surviving cast members at a huge Trek convention in Vegas on stage together, Shatner, Nimoy, Takei, Nichelle Nichols, and Keonig honoring Nimoy with a Lifetime Achievement award. Only they know the real reason if there is a feud.

Trek V DE, do it!

Nelson

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Count me in for a director's cut TFF, although I don't know if enough was shot to help the ending much.

As for Shatner, he's been a ham for most of his career (although his performances in Treks II, III, and IV prove he can be a good actor when he has good material), and he has let his ego get the best of him in the past, but nowadays he does anything but take himself seriously. In the interview segments for the recent SEs, he is most definitely joking, although I will admit that he does act weird, even for him. He usually at least cracks a smile. But, again, I can assure you, he is joking.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well have a little sense of Humor, I've always thought the "Get a Life" skit was a poking of Star Trek fans that do fall within that Fringe Element (Have you ever been to a Trek Con ?) Now I am a Die Hard Trekker but even I can relate to that skit. It was Funny. As far as Shatner blowing his lines.. I don't know I really believe Shatner's and Nimoy's take on this in Mind Meld. The Whole Trek Phenom had grown to the preportion that these Supporting characters really thought they were as important to trek as Shatner, Nimoy and Kelly. I Love the other characters but go back and watch TOS and see who the Main Stars of that series were. And is Takei's Beating Paramount over the Head for a "Captain Sulu" series any worse than any of this?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
All I can say is that if they do this for the Star Trek fans and let Shatner recut the film (which I believe is a good thing), then there is no reason to not let John Carl do the same for Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood.
Sure there is:
1. A recut of a Star Trek is likely much more cost-effective, as sales will be much higher than any Friday the 13th title, uncut or not.
2. The Star Trek V recut won't garner an NC-17 rating (or go out unrated). Such a rating (or being unrated) again hurts the sales of the Friday the 13th disc, as some popular chains will not carry the title.
While I'm all in favor of uncut re-releases of the Friday the 13th films, there's no correllation between them and the Star Trek franchise.
DJ

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
His badmouthing of the fans with comments like, "Get a Life" and such doesn't seem much like joking.
Mike, that was first spoken by Shatner during a Saturday Night Live episode in 1986. It was absolutely hillarious at the time and still applies to many fans today. These words have many times saved this fan from humiliation and the po'house.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Good Lord why must things always be explained...

Damin said: Sure there is:

1. A recut of a Star Trek is likely much more cost-effective, as sales will be much higher than any Friday the 13th title, uncut or not.

2. The Star Trek V recut won't garner an NC-17 rating (or go out unrated). Such a rating (or being unrated) again hurts the sales of the Friday the 13th disc, as some popular chains will not carry the title.

While I'm all in favor of uncut re-releases of the Friday the 13th films, there's no correllation between them and the Star Trek franchise.

There is a huge correllation between the two films...they come from the same damn studio. If they go to the extent for one, they can for other films, not just the Friday series, as well. That is the point and nothing more to it.
(As far as a rating for a Friday 7, they don't even have to submit it to the MPAA for a rating. Special Bonus footage is unrated all the time, simply include the uncut film under that heading...)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
There is a huge correllation between the two films...they come from the same damn studio. If they go to the extent for one, they can for other films, not just the Friday series, as well. That is the point and nothing more to it.
That's all well and good, except that it ignores the major differences between the two releases that I pointed out. Just because two franchises come from the same studio, it doesn't mean that doing new recuts of films from those franchises are equally cost-effective.

DJ

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Damin, I understand your points and I understand why one of the series is more important than the other. What I am saying is that a studio shouldn't say that no we won't break our own set rules, but we will for one thing. It is like telling your child not to smoke while you have a ashtray hanging out of your mouth.

It goes back to the discussions in the past if Paramount isn't interested anymore in the said series and they are embarrassed that they did it to begin with, give that series to a studio that give a crap about the fans.

It isn't a pop shot at you or anything and it really wasn't meant that way believe it or not...It is basically all the duality of it all that bugs the holy hell out of me...So far, in my house we have re-bought all the Star Trek and will continue to do so...BUT...there is more in the Paramount universe than this title. If they are willing to do it maybe for this one series, then there is little hope for any other title in their long, money making history to ever get the same respect.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
So far, in my house we have re-bought all the Star Trek and will continue to do so...BUT...there is more in the Paramount universe than this title.
I'm all with you for re-releases of the F13 films. All I responded to was your assertion that if a Star Trek IV recut was done, there would be "no reason" not to allow a F13 VII recut; I provided 2 important reasons why one happening doesn't necessarily mean the other should happen. That's all.
DJ

Seth_S

Second Unit

Well he did have massive trek fan support for this idea, and it probably would have made a better show than "Enterprise".

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Best lines of dialogue in Star Trek V:
Kirk (to Spock): "I oughta knock you on your go**amned ass!"
Bones (to Kirk): "You want me to hold 'im, Jim?"
* Or the brilliant three stooges-esque "whooooahahaoahh!!" as the three companions jettison up the elevator shaft on Spock's hover device.
* Scotty hitting his head.
* The Klingon saying, "I... (pause)... apologize..."
Kirk: "I need my pain. It's what makes me human!"
Giving Star Trek V the benefit of the doubt for a moment, if that is theoretically possible in light of its numerous 'missteps:'
As a treatise on group psychology, brainwashing, mind control, thought-reform and the human condition, the premise is fascinating and in some scenes, pulled off really well. I would love to see the premise re-done with all of the innapropriate, out of character antics shafted, and a CGI Sybok with a CGI beard.
:D :laugh:
Joseph

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I've always thought that V started out to be a pretty decent film, but lost its way about halfway through.
I agree pretty much with this, I really got a kick out of the lighthearted nature of the first half.
Hey, why not give him a shot at polishing that old turd? As has previously been said, he couldn't make it any worse! ;)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought that V started out to be a pretty decent film, but lost its way about halfway through.
I sensed that it wasn't quite up to snuff by the time Uhura did her striptease, and I knew it was a major disappointment when "God" looked like the big Richard Pryor head from THE WIZ.;)
But I would like to see Shatner try to make something better out of this. There are plenty of good moments buried in the muck and at least it's watchable.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
What I really want, other than vastly improved special effects, is the original ending(which, I guess, involves effects). I don't want a completely different film, just what they couldn't do right the first time...

BTW, on the comparison with releasing DCs of the F13 series, I imagine the profit margin for those would be just as large as with TMP. Consider how much time and money went into producing that new cut of TMP. Now consider the amount of time/money it would take to track down a minute or two of missing footage(per film) and restore it to the film. Also keep in mind that the footage from all the F13 films is already finished...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does it really surprise people that former cast members are bad mouthing William Shatner? He was the star of the show and has received most of the acclaim. A bit jealous perhaps?

And when confronted with these unkind statements by his former castmates, Mr. Shatner has shown class and always had kind words to say about all of them and never bad mouths them. There's two sides to every story. I have always viewed Mr. Shatner as having a very wry, dry sense of humor that people mistake for arrogance.

I eagerly await the SE of ST5.:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks