What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (1 Viewer)

Jack_F

Stunt Coordinator
"Row your Boat
Uhura stripping
Chekov and Sulu lost in the woods
Scotty bumps his head
Too many decks...Same numbers go by... Numbers run the wrong way... Top deck (the Bridge) should be deck 1... But they went one deck above that!
Yeah, what's with getting to the center of the Galazy so quickly? Voyager sure could have used their warp drive.
Go climb a rock T shirt.
Harve Bennet saying "We need Jim Kirk!" and Shatner's humble "Aw go on.." response.
The fact that Spock had a brother at all. You would think after knowing the character for 25 years... we would have heard about this."

I disagree, I think many of these moments were genuinly endearing...

Row your boat was great
Uhura stripping - I agree, cut it
Chekov and Sulu lost in the woods, I liked.
Scotty bumps his head - cut it
Too many decks - fix with CGI
the center of the galaxy - I'm willing to look past, we are talking about Star Trek here---suspend your disbelief for the sake of the story
Go climb a rock T shirt gets a chuckle out of me...
"we need jim kirk", ok, a little over the top, but ok.
Spock's brother- I think it was conveyed that Spock wasn't exactly proud of his half-brother, he probably never wanted to volunteer that information before, but now it was unavoidable. Vulcan pride.

I would like to see a Director's Edition just because I already have the 1-disc DVD and I would like to see a different vision, it gives me a reason to buy the 2-disc edition...

-Jack

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well it had a great Score.. a really great score from Goldsmith. Tweak it...anamorphize it... and serve it up !

"Bourbon and Beans and explosive combination"

Seth_S

Second Unit
I'm a bit skeptical that this is actually going to happen because it would cripple Paramount's release time-table of the Trek films. Let's say they green lighted a D.C. of Trek V today, it would probably take 6 - 12 months to complete. I doubt Paramount will want to hold up the release of the rest of the Trek films just so Shatner can try to turn a total debacle into a 2 star movie. I would also think that Paramount would want to build off the popularity of the Trek IV DVD and get to Trek VI as fast as possible.

Personally, while it would be interesting to see a revised version of Trek V, I'd rather have Trek VI and VIII on DVD sooner than later.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Sheesh, some of you fellas are harsh!

Looking at it from several angles, a DC of part V is the best option. A DC would be a legit reason to rent/buy the DVD if someone already owned it or if someone hated the flick but would give it a 2nd chance if it was re-done. Who cares about the schedule and why would they have to release them in order? I think most fans would forgive Paramount releasing part VI next if they knew a good deal of work was being done on part V.

I am all for the studio attempting to make the best possible product it can for fans and let's face it, no matter how many bells and whistles you'd put on a normal special edition, that still won't change the fact that many folks didn't like the movie itself. To create any real interest in a part V DVD, they'd almost have to give Shatner a 2nd shot.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
from www.dvdfile.com
The final frontier? - 12:01am
Who was it that said films aren't finished, they're abandoned? Such words may never have proven more true than in the case of the much-maligned Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. William "I am not Kirk!" Shatner's directorial debut failed to win over either critics or most Trekkers, yet rumors continue to swirl of a "Director's Cut" finally popping up on DVD.
As fans already know, Paramount will be releasing special editions of all the original cast Trek films (with installments I, II and III already out), and several sources have indicated that Shatner is currently in talks to supervise a new cut of the film, a la The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition, complete with new effects.
While certainly nothing has been officially announced, there are enough rumors swirling about that it was worth contacting a Paramount spokesperson for comment. While "Things are cooking" on the upcoming DVD, Paramount is unable to confirm nor deny the rumors. But that still at least leaves Trek fans room for hope that something special may come. Stay tuned...

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've always thought that V started out to be a pretty decent film, but lost its way about halfway through. As to whether or not it can be fixed, I just don't know. Was enough alternate footage shot to create a cohesive whole? I honestly think that the script derails the film. It's a little too late to fix that now.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek V is the only movie I've ever felt compelled to leave before the credits rolled due to simply unrelenting awfulness....and I've been known to sit happily through utter crap by Ray Dennis Steckler and Doris Wishman, so I know from bad movies. This is just painfully, painfully awful. I can't think of a single redeeming quality about it.

Although as Stanley Kubrick once rejoined to being told you can't polish a turd, "You can if you freeze it." I'm not sure that even deep-freezing STV would help it with an industrial buffer.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Seth_S, I doubt that it would hurt the release timeline. Remeber that we'll likely get Star Trek: Nemisis in a 2-Disc S.E. after Star Trek IV's S.E. So that adds extra time between the Feb/Mar release of Star Trek IV, because I doubt they will want to release a classic Trek film around the time they release the final Next Generation film to DVD. So next year should look like this:

Feb./Mar. - Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (SE)

June/July - Star Trek X: Nemisis (SE/DC?)

Sept./Oct. - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier (DC)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
All I can say is that if they do this for the Star Trek fans and let Shatner recut the film (which I believe is a good thing), then there is no reason to not let John Carl do the same for Friday the 13th Part 7: The New Blood.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Nothing confirmed so far. But it would be stupid for them to issue a barebones disc of the film, and then in two-three years issue a SE of the film. We know that Paramount has said that they plan to revisit all the Star Trek movies in 2-Disc SE's. So Nemisis should just come out right away as a SE.
But then again, we are talking about Paramount here, so who knows with them. That's why I put the question mark in there. We know they will release it around 6 months after it's theaterical release, so that does push back Star Trek V from being released on DVD for a while. Plenty of time to fix it up a bit. :)

Peter Rohlfs

Second Unit
Real Name
Peter Rohlfs
Star Trek the Motionsickness (including the new version) sucks so much more than Trek V, and they spent money on that...they should give Shatner his shot.

Then again if the film comes out alot better they would need to apoligize fornot letting him do it right the 1st time. So they probably won't.

Peter

CharlesD

Screenwriter
long.... repressed.... memories.... arrghh... unghh... return! Must.... stay... sane... aaarrrggghh! NO!!! Its all coming..... back! MAKE IT STOP! PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!
Maybe they could CGI out the jeep tracks in the desert too. Or maybe they should just destroy any remaining trace of the film... :)

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I just can't wait for the audio commentary, where Shatner tries to defend how wonderful the film is. I think that will be the funniest Audio Commentary in DVD history. Shatner takes himself far to seriously, he's a horrible director and needs to admit it. BTW, anyone see his huge ego sitting infront of a poster for Star Trek V on the Star Trek III DVD Special Features. And claiming that he taught Nimoy everything he knows about directing movies. That Nimoy was his protegee. :rolleyes::)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Hey, lay off TFF. It's really good... when you compare it to Generations, which is wholly irredeemable space-tosh. ;) :D

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Agreed. Generations is the bomb here.

TMP was science fiction (something of ourselves was coming back to us from the depths of the cosmos, etc), not space opera, thus the low rating by some fans looking for the old series or a rocket chase and lightshow a la Star Wars.

STII is the old series and well done.

III is an afterthought.

IV is fun, no mater what you think of the whole franchise.

V was fouled by too much ego, but has promise in concept.

VI is space opera again.

But...having grown up with TOS, the characters are like old friends. I can't help but like them all, faults or no.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You know I can't understand why people don't get the fact that Shatner is a huge Ballbuster and the he's joking with the audience, the only thing he's not doing is winking at the camera. I really don't understand what happened. Shatner and Kirk was loved by the fans before the start of the movies, then after the films started he became the reason for all of Trek's problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks