What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Robin Hood: Special Edition (2 Disc Set) (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I value EVERYONE'S input on this forum!

Anyway, the first things that struck me about the picture was that the opening bit in Jerusulem when the test comes up at the begining looked a little 'out-of-focus'. I also noticed a crack from the speakers in the Dolby Digital version when the dogs are chasing the little boy not long after Robin and Azeem have landed in England.

Anyone else notice these flaws?

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
what I don't understand is - is this even a good movie?
i saw it long ago to my recollection thought it was crap(worse than Willow)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have seen great transfers of intentionally grainy films--The Godfather set for example.

While a lot of the grain in Robin Hood is in the film, there's other stuff going on with this transfer that makes it less than what I expected though not as bad as the original release by any means.

I've watched more than half of the film in DTS and seen no lipsynch issues. I did see the problems with Die Another Day, but not with this disc.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I also noticed a crack from the speakers in the Dolby Digital version when the dogs are chasing the little boy not long after Robin and Azeem have landed in England.
Martin, go back and check the explosions near the end of the movie on the DD soundtrack. You should hear some noticable 'cracks' there too. What I find most annoying about this is that it was present on the DD2.0 track on the original flipper version, most noticably on the sequence that Martin mentions above. I can't believe that this wasn't fixed for the new release. And this isn't some flaw with my amp, as I can clearly hear the 'crack' when I'm listening to the downmixed DD thru my tv speakers. And are there any 'cracks' on the dts version? No. But is the dts version properly in sync on my machine? No. AAARGH!!!

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
any news on the R2 release. Are warners trying to get it released with the 40 odd seconds cut by the BBFC to make it a PG? Surely uncut would only push it up to a 12? I hear that orignally Christian Slater says "Fuck me, he made it" but it was dubbed in the Uk to say "Blimey, he made it". Are we getting the f word in our R2 version? I mean kids say all sorts of things these days so surely one bad word won't make a fu**** difference!! :)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The BBFC will not currently allow an uncut version in the UK as it would push the rating up to at least a '12', violating their ridiculous "No two versions of a film at different ratings" rule. They have no problem reducing a film's certificate (see Apocalypse Now Redux or The Terminator) but they won't raise it under this hypocritical ruling. This is the reason why 'The Goonies' has been held up in the UK for so long, as Warner are still trying to get the uncut version through (basically so that the video commentary will make sense). Methinks the same crap will happen to the UK re-release of RH:PoT, as the commentaries will be out-of-sync with the picture when laid over a cut version of the movie, and many commentaries are left off of cut UK releases for this reason, like the Matrix on R2 (Warner again). So unless Warner do a major editing job on the dvd commentaries, or manage to get the movie through uncut, we won't see the commentaries on a UK re-release of RH:PoT. Man, does that suck!

Second Unit
but Spaceballs had a restored "fuck" added in for DVD and it pushed it up to a 12. However i think that was the only time it was released on DVD. So whats likely to happen with Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom and the missing 1 minute 47 seconds! :frowning:

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
The BBFC implememented the above rule in late 1999, so some uncut movies that were classified (but not necessarily released) for dvd before that point have been upgraded, like Spaceballs and Romancing the Stone. But they can't get away with it now, so RH:PoT in the UK will remain cut to ribbons. And the BBFC have stood firm on Temple of Doom for nearly 20 years, so I don't think we'll see Indy uncut any time soon. I've already ordered a R1 version :D

Second Unit
I'm going to phone up the BBFC right now and give them hell! This is a complete joke. I want somebodys job for this, i thought the dark days of James Ferman and the thankfully deceased Mary Whitehouse where over. :angry:

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hey,

and many commentaries are left off of cut UK releases for this reason, like the Matrix on R2 (Warner again).
While what you say is true in some cases, it isn't as far as The Matrix is concerned since the commentaries are not available on any R2 release, even the uncut ones.

Chris

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I finally got to the "I have a brother scene" last night, and the synch on the DTS track was very noticeably off. I switched to the DD track for the rest of the movie, but even it looked a bit out of synch during that particular scene.

I got 30 minutes into the 2 Kevins commentary last night, and think the commentaries and pq improvement (though the latter is still disapointing) make this worth the $17 I paid.

Overall Warner could have done a much better job on this though.

Dan Hinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Hinson
I also thought at times that it almost looked out of focus.
Agreed.

As far as the DTS track goes, I also agree that it is noticeably (though not terribly) out-of-sync the last ¼ of the movie, and I did not even know about the DTS sync problems prior to watching. I also swapped to the Dolby track to finish the movie out, and did not notice any sync problems on that track.

After, I got on the Net to specifically search for issues with the DTS track, and low and behold, I read here and at DVD Talk that others have also noticed this problem.

John Leaning

Agent
Finally got around to watching this last night. I had to switch from DTS to DD for the last 1/4 or so because the lip sync was so bad. Dissapointing, because on my system the DTS track was more pleasant to listen to.

How bad was it? Well, my wife noticed it!

Has anyone taken up this issue with Warners?

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I also agree that it is noticeably (though not terribly) out-of-sync the last ¼ of the movie
Yep, I have the lip synch issue as well. I have a Denon AVR-3300 and a Panasonic RP-91. It is so annoying that these kind of things slip through quality control.

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks