What's new

Press Release BVHE Press Release: 100 Years! 100 animated titles on Blu-ray (Blu-ray) (3 Viewers)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Yeah these sets are rarely aimed specifically at movie content collectors - they're aimed at people who collect collectables. It's also a great way for the studio to liquidate existing excess inventory by putting extra discs they already have on hand into a single package. I can't imagine that they assembled a terrific number of these sets, but the overall production costs are gonna be low, so anything they get is found money.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Song of the South would not qualify here even if Disney was interested in releasing it because it not primarily an animated feature.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Although I cannot confirm the validity of this information, I heard on YouTube that this set will be around $1,500.

If we assume this is accurate, that works out to about $15 per movie, which is actually cheaper on a per-film basis than you could usually get most of these individually. I certainly paid more than $15 when buying these titles.

The only problem, of course, is that you'd have to pay the full $1,500 at once. So, even if it is a reasonable price considering what you get, it is still expensive in a way that most Blu-ray sets are not.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Because those movies are not mentioned in the press release, I'll be curious if Disney has authored new discs that remove the cheapquels. I might be interested in purchasing individual titles without the cheapquels if they were to be made available that way.

Even if they did, they'd probably put the feature on a single-layer disc so they don't have to re-encode it, leaving you with the same quality as before yet half the content.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
half the content.
That's what I want, though. I don't want those cheapquels in my collection. I only want half the content they put on those 2-movie collections.

It bothers me that I own The Hunchback of Notre Dame II. I don't want to. But there is no way for me to own The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Blu-ray without it because they are on the same disc.

Assuming the price is reasonable, I would buy a standalone release of The Hunchback of Notre Dame on Blu-ray again just to get rid of the cheapquel.

On another note, Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits has now confirmed the $1,500 price point for the box set.

Last edited:

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, The Emperor’s New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch and Brother Bear have never been released individually on Blu-ray.

DMC has an option for Pocahontas that's blu-ray/DVD/digital with no mention of the sequel. Although I opted for the regular set with both movies (no DVD). I figured there was more value in the extra movie (and reward points) than the DVD.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Does every thread about a Disney release have to become about Song of the South?

This box set is for films that are primarily animated. That's why Mary Poppins is not in here. Neither is Bedknobs and Broomsticks or Pete's Dragon or Roger Rabbit or Enchanted. Those films are primarily live-action films with some animated elements thrown in. Mary Poppins in particular is one of the shining jewels in the crown of the Disney studio and any serious collector of Disney films should own it. But it is not an animated film. It is a live-action film with animated elements in one sequence. So it is not in here. And no one is complaining about that.

Song of the South is a live-action film with some animated elements in it. Even if Disney was going to release it, it wouldn't be in this set.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does every thread about a Disney release have to become about Song of the South?

This box set is for films that are primarily animated. That's why Mary Poppins is not in here. Neither is Bedknobs and Broomsticks or Pete's Dragon or Roger Rabbit or Enchanted. Those films are primarily live-action films with some animated elements thrown in. Mary Poppins in particular is one of the shining jewels in the crown of the Disney studio and any serious collector of Disney films should own it. But it is not an animated film. It is a live-action film with animated elements in one sequence. So it is not in here. And no one is complaining about that.

Song of the South is a live-action film with some animated elements in it. Even if Disney was going to release it, it wouldn't be in this set.
Point taken, let’s move on to the animation films included in this set.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Song of The South keeps being brought up because people want to see it, they want to see this film that they've heard and been told about for the last 30 plus years is so controversial. People want to see for themselves, they want to see if everything they've heard over the years is actually true or not.

Back to this thread now

It would take a big milestone anniversary such as the 100th for Disney to included all of their animated films and not the usual 12 only. It's a real shame that it takes a big momentous occasion for Disney to acknowledge it's long storied history.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't really understand that complaint. All of these movies except one -- Pooh's Heffalump Movie -- have come out on Blu-ray before. By all accounts, this box set is simply repackaging the releases that are already available. None of the other content is actually new. So how are they not acknowledging their history? Yes, the more popular titles are more frequently promoted than the others and tend to get more effort put into things like bonus features. That will be the same in this set. But unless you're a huge fan of Heffalumps, you've already had a chance to buy all of these titles.

Of course, there are a bunch of live-action catalog titles that they have not released. But that's a separate issue because this boxed set is meant to house animated films.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm not complaining, just stating that it took the 100th anniversary of the company for them to acknowledge that there is more than just the select group of titles they constantly re-issue is all.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
According to The Wrap, the retail price is $1,500!

$15 a piece seems quite excessive given how old many of these discs are.

I don't understand what the origami packaging theme has to do with Disney. I'm sure they'll argue the packaging is "eco-friendly" or something, but it looks pretty flimsy to me, like the whole thing will fall apart with even the lightest handling.
I suspect they are supposed to resemble film shipping containers ...
1694562160379.png
by someone who never saw one ;) ...

Reactions: PMF

Jeff Heise

Grip
Real Name
Jeffry Heise
Won't comment about SOTS, but interesting that VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER is not included, and that WAS an animated feature.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Won't comment about SOTS, but interesting that VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER is not included, and that WAS an animated feature.

I thought that was another item considered a a hybrid of animation/live action though Disney's categorization of those hybrids has always been a bit fluid. As far as i remember that one has only been release included in on the Treasure Tin sets and definitely has a little stereotype propaganda issues since it was designed to be such.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Now available for order at DMC

1695100634516.png

It looks to be eligible for 60% off IF you can find something the same price or more that's part of the sale (and area VIP member) ...

1695100881937.png
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Now available for order at DMC
That's interesting. The press release (and Walmart's website) said it was a Walmart exclusive. I guess it's Walmart and DMC exclusive.

The likelihood that DMC members don't already have many of these titles seems pretty low.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks